|Indira Gandhi Quick Info
|5 ft 4 in
|Date of Birth
|November 19, 1917
|October 31, 1984
Indira Gandhi was an Indian politician who was a well-known figure in the Indian National Congress. She also served as the first Prime Minister of India. On the other hand, she was notably known to be the daughter of distinguished politician Jawaharlal Nehru and freedom fighter, Kamala Nehru and was the matriarch of politician Rajiv and Sanjay Gandhi.
Indira was born on November 19, 1917.
She died on October 31, 1984, at the age of 66, in New Delhi as a result of an assassination.
Allahabad, United Provinces of Agra and Oudh, British India
She was mostly homeschooled but attended school every now and then until 1934.
She studied at various schools like the Modern School in Delhi, the St Cecilia’s and St Mary’s Christian Convent Schools, Allahabad, the International School of Geneva, the Ecole Nouvelle in Bex, as well as the Pupils’ Own School in Pune and Bombay.
After that, she attended the Vishwa Bharati in Santiniketan (Now Known As Visva-Bharati University). However, she left the university after a year and went on to study for a year more at the University of Oxford before leaving there too. She did not join there instead started attending the Badminton School for a short while.
In 1937, she joined Somerville College where she studied history. Despite her best efforts to complete her studies, Indira was never able to finish them as she was forced to return to India due to the German army raids on Europe. However, she was presented with an honorary degree by the University of Oxford.
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Indira Gandhi’s name was linked with –
- Feroze Gandhi (1942-1960) – They had 2 sons named, Rajiv Gandhi (August 20, 1944) and Sanjay Gandhi (December 14, 1946).
- M.O. Mathai – In the 1978 book “Reminiscences of the Nehru Age”, the author M.O. Mathai who was Jawaharlal Nehru’s secretary stated that he and Ms. Indira Gandhi were in a romantic affair. He even stated it was her who initiated it and gave him books to read on how to please a woman. They had also fallen deeply in love with one another and had been together for 12 years until, Mathai, as stated in his book, saw Indira lay in bed with another man.
- Dhirendra Brahmachari – According to sources, they had a short fling.
Race / Ethnicity
- The right side of her hair was white, whereas the left side black in color.
- Maintained a shoulder-length hairstyle
Indira Gandhi Favorite Things
- Books – Iris Murdoch’s “An Unofficial Rose”
- Holiday Destination – Kashmir
Indira Gandhi Facts
- She had a younger brother who died when he was only a week old.
- Indira was raised at the Anand Bhavan in Allahabad.
- While at Oxford University, she closely worked with the Oxford Majlis Asian Society.
- Despite having not completed her graduation, Indira was presented with the honor of being one of the Oxasians, illustrious Asian graduates from the University of Oxford in 2010.
- Indira led India to victory against Pakistan during the Bangladesh liberation war in 1971. For that, she was presented with the prestigious Bharat Ratna award and in 2011, she was posthumously given the Bangladesh Freedom Honour.
- She put India on the map along with other countries with nuclear weapons.
Featured Image By Public.Resource.Org / Flickr / CC BY 2.0