|Israel Adesanya Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||July 22, 1989|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Israel Adesanya is a Nigerian-New Zealander professional mixed martial artist who is widely regarded as one of the best strikers in mixed martial arts. Competing in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), with a 20-0 win-loss record, he had held the UFC Middleweight Championship, as of November 2020. He was also ranked at number 3 in the UFC men’s pound-for-pound rankings. Before this, he had also competed in kickboxing and boxing and had competed in several promotions around the world.
Israel Mobolaji Temitayo Odunayo Oluwafemi Owolabi Adesanya
The Last Stylebender
Auckland, North Island, New Zealand
He holds dual nationality.
Israel had attended the Chrisland School in Opebi, a neighborhood in Lagos. After emigrating to New Zealand, he had attended the Rotorua Boys’ High School.
Professional Mixed Martial Artist
- Father – Oluwafemi Adesanya (Accountant)
- Mother – Taiwo Adesanya (Nurse)
- Siblings – David Adesanya (Younger Brother), Deborah Adesanya (Younger Sister), Samuel Adesanya (Younger Brother), Bolu Adesanya (Younger Brother)
He is represented by Paradigm Sports Management, LLC, Irvine, Orange County, California, United States.
6 ft 8 in or 203 cm
6 ft 4 in or 193 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Nigerian descent.
- Toned physique
- Close-cropped hair
- Has the words ‘Broken Native’ tattooed across his chest and a map of Africa tattooed below it
- Has his right arm, midriff, and neck covered with multiple tattoos
- Clean-shaven look
Israel has endorsed and promoted brands such as –
- Peak Milk
Israel Adesanya Facts
- While he was attending the Chrisland School, he had joined their after-school Taekwondo club but his mother had stopped him from attending after he had sustained an injury there.
- In 1999, his family had moved to Ghana but 10 months later they had again relocated, this time to New Zealand, as his parents had wanted their children to receive a well-recognized higher education.
- Although he was not very inclined towards sports and athletics during his school days, he had revealed in an interview that he had chosen to pursue martial arts much later in life due to the incessant bullying that he had faced in his high school. In fact, he had mentioned that he was much more interested in dance and used to participate in several competitions across New Zealand.
- He had started getting trained in kickboxing when he was 18 years old, after watching the popular 2003 Muay Thai film Ong-Bak. He had then competed in amateur events and had accumulated a 32-0 win-loss record in kickboxing before moving to fight in competitions in China. Upon his return, he had moved to Auckland and after turning 21, he had started getting trained in both MMA and wrestling.
- In March 2014, he had become the first fighter residing in New Zealand to be contracted with Glory, an international kickboxing promotion company.
- A polyglot, he is fluent in languages such as Yoruba, Nigerian Pidgin, and English.
- He has been a massive fan of anime since his childhood and has planned to start an anime production company after retirement.
Featured Image by Israel Adesanya / Instagram