|Israel Houghton Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||May 19, 1971|
Oceanside, California, United States
Bel Air, Los Angeles, U.S.
Israel was brought up in Phoenix, Arizona where he finished part of his education till junior high school until the age of 13. After which, his family moved to Santa Fe, New Mexico where he finished the rest of his high school education.
He returned to Phoenix to pursue a college education but dropped out after studying a couple of semesters.
Musician (Singer / Songwriter), Music Producer, Minister, Worship Leader
- Mother – Margaret Houghton (Pastor)
- Siblings – 3 younger half-siblings from mother’s second marriage (two brothers and one sister) and 3 half-sisters from biological father’s side.
- Others – Henry Houghton (Step-father) (Pastor), Carter Michael Jones (Grandson), Byron Matthew Rideau (Son-in-law) (DJ)
He is signed with Don Wilkinson (Road Manager).
His music is broadly labeled as “Contemporary Christian Worship and Praise music”.
Israel’s musical compositions are cross-hybrid creations that have elements of the following genres:
- Gospel Music
Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards, Drums, Trumpet, Piano
- Warner Brothers
- Integrity Music
- RCA Inspiration
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm (Approx)
80 kg or 176 pounds
Girlfriend / Spouse
Israel Houghton has dated –
- Before meeting his first wife, Meleasa, Israel had a relationship that led to the birth of his first child named Jordan. He lives in Phonix, Arizona with his mother and rest of his family. Jordan also has a son called, Carter.
- Meleasa Houghton (1994–2015) – Meleasa’s maiden name is unknown despite her divorce with Israel since she still uses his last name as a part of her identity. Israel met Meleasa during the early 90s’ in a church in Pittsburgh where he was addressing the local congregation as a minister. He noticed Meleasa in the gathering and after the service was introduced to her by her father who was also there at the church. Israel described his attraction to Meleasa as ‘love at first sight,’ in one of the interviews. The couple got married merely 4 months after getting to know each other. The former couple has 3 children together – Mariah (daughter), Israel Duncan nicknamed Sonny (son) and Milan Lillie (daughter). Before getting separated from Meleasa, Israel used to live with her and his kids in Houston, Texas.
- De Vawn Moreno (2011–2014) – Israel has admitted to cheating on his wife multiple times to ignore the problems in his marriage to Meleasa. He added that he was separated from Meleasa for the last five years of his marriage right before getting an official divorce in 2016. The child support division of Texas State Attorney General’s office claims that it is confirmed he has fathered two sons outside wedlock named Kingston and Khristian born in 2012 and 2014 respectively and ensured that he paid child support for them after he was sued by the alleged mistress, namely, De Vawn Moreno.
- Adrienne Bailon (2016–Present) – Adrienne and Israel were friends for years before getting romantically involved. He was the executive producer of a romantic drama feature film starring Adrienne in the lead called I am in love with a Church Girl (2013). When Adrienne found out that Israel’s marriage is over, as a good friend, she tried to set him up on several dates with some of her female friends. When one of her friends did not find Israel attractive, Adrienne found herself defending Israel as a catch in the dating pool. In February-March 2016, they went on a vacation to Mexico to explore their feelings for each other. The paparazzi took their pictures which went viral all over the Internet creating a lot of hate against Adrienne for ending Israel’s marriage to Meleasa. Eventually, Israel took to social media to clarify that his marriage was over long before Adrienne became his girlfriend. Israel married her in an intimate ceremony attended by 70 guests organized at Hotel Plaza Athénée in Paris, France in November 2016. Adrienne wore a strapless, mermaid gown for the special occasion.
Race / Ethnicity
Israel has a white American mother and African American, Jamaican father.
- Stout, hefty upper body with skinny legs.
- Curly Hair
He is speculated to be wearing a shoe if size 8.5 (US) or 8 (UK) or 42 (EU)
In May-June 2017, Israel joined the Shea Moisture Men campaign.
Non-denominational (possibly Evangelical) Christianity.
Best Known For
- Being a multiple Grammy award-winning musician who creates Gospel music using several cross-cultural musical influences.
- Through his music, Israel attempts to break the cultural divide between various types of churches governed by racial differences.
Whisper it Loud released in January 1997 by Warner Brothers.
First TV Show
In 2005, Israel appeared in the music talk show Praise the Lord as himself.
- As a musician, Israel has to travel a lot and it clearly appears by his physical condition that he is not very keen on dieting and exercise.
- However, 2 months before his wedding to Adrienne Bailon in 2016, he joined his fiancé for her personal training sessions and followed the prescribed dietary routine to lose 25 pounds.
- They were supervised by celebrity personal trainer, Massy Arias.
- She offered them 4 one hour personal training sessions per week which primarily involved training quickly in circuits to extract maximum productivity out of that limited time, they went over the famous people’s diaries which helped them learn how successful people became productive. Israel and Adrienne had to do 30 minutes of morning cardio on their own alongside the personal training sessions and had one specific pre-defined workout for every fifth day of the week as homework to do on their own.
- In terms of diet, Israel could have a plant-based protein shake first thing in the morning and right before bed alongside a normal breakfast and lunch. He had cashews and yogurt as a pre-workout snack.
- He specifically gave up alcohol and dairy products to lose weight.
Israel Houghton Favorite Things
- Movie – Braveheart (1995)
- Meal of the Day – Breakfast
- Song (Among his own) – I Am Not Forgotten (2005), To Worship You I Live (2005)
- Album (Among his own) – Alive in South Africa (2005) which won the musician his first Grammy
- Musical Influences – Andre Crouch, the Beatles, Stevie Wonder
Israel Houghton Facts
- At 19, Israel became a full-time minister in a church in Scottsdale, Arizona. The members there asked him to become a worship leader who also played full-time music for the local congregation.
- Israel’s mother got pregnant with him at the age of 17. Since, she lived in a very racially segregated society in Waterloo, Iowa; his mother was under a lot of pressure to have an abortion since the biological father was black.
- Israel’s mother ran away from home to the state of California to give birth to her child. When she was 8 months pregnant, his biological father broke up with her that briefly turned her to drugs. That could have taken Israel away from her care by the state department deeming her as an unfit mother. However, she changed her ways after hitting rock bottom by turning to the church.
- She named Israel after reading about the character in the Bible, Genesis 32.
- The musician’s favorite description of his family life while growing up is that “he was a black kid, raised in a white family attending a Hispanic Church,” since all his half-siblings from his mother’s second marriage are white.
- Israel revealed that his maternal grandfather did not feel any love for him as he did for his other grandkids which added to his identity crisis of constantly feeling different and out of place.
- He tried to start a career as a musician in Nashville, Tennessee but racially divided music scene in that city prevented him from landing a big break.
- His career took off when he collaborated and went on tour with another successful Gospel Singer, Fred Hammond.
- He has formal training in playing the trumpet.
- Israel’s mother who was a brilliant concert pianist taught him to play the piano at a very young age.
- His step-father introduced him to rich and diverse genres of music that helped him find comfort in music and shaped his overall personality.
- He learned to play the guitar on his own because somebody bet him that he did not have the willpower and discipline to learn that instrument.
- He serves as a worship leader in Lakewood Church, Houston, Texas which is led by the celebrity pastor and best-selling author, Joel Scott Osteen.
Featured Image by Unknown / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 2.5