|J.K. Simmons Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||January 9, 1955|
J.K. Simmons is a talented Academy Award-winning actor and voice actor. He is best known for his role as a tough music director in Whiplash for which he received numerous accolades. He has also given notable performances for various TV shows and movies including Counterpart, Oz, Law & Order, ER, Justice League Unlimited, Arrested Development, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Robot Chicken, The Legend of Korra, The Jackal, Spider-Man series, Juno, True Grit, Dark Skies, Terminator Genisys, Kung Fu Panda 3, Zootopia, La La Land, The Accountant, Patriots Day, and Justice League.
Jonathan Kimble Simmons
Grosse Pointe, Michigan, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
J.K. Simmons studied at Thomas Worthington High School in Ohio from 1970-1972. He also attended the Ohio State University in Worthington, Ohio. Later, he joined the University of Montana and graduated with a Music degree in 1978.
Actor, Voice Actor
- Father – Donald William Simmons (Director of the School of Music at the University of Montana)
- Mother – Patricia Simmons (Administrator)
- Siblings – Elizabeth Simmons O’Neill (Sister), David Simmons (Brother)
- Others – Guy Simmons (Paternal Grandfather), William Martin Simmons (Paternal Great-Grandfather ), Lucinda Evalina /Evelina Meachum /Meacham (Paternal Great-Grandmother), Mamie Catherine Keister (Paternal Grandmother ), William Cooney /Conrad Keister (Paternal Great-Grandfather), Lydia Catherine Smith (Paternal Great-Grandmother), Ralph Archibald Kimble (Maternal Grandfather), Ralph Grierson Kimble (Maternal Great-Grandfather), Ellen /Nellie Jemima Stote (Maternal Great-Grandmother), Ruth Hazen (Maternal Grandmother), Lewis Jacob Hazen (Maternal Great-Grandfather), Emma Broaddus Lewis (Maternal Great-Grandmother)
J.K. Simmons is managed by Paradigm Talent Agency, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States.
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
J.K. Simmons has dated –
- Michelle Schumacher (1996-Present) – In 1996, J.K. Simmons married actress and director, Michelle Schumacher. They met during the tour of “Peter Pan”. The couple has 2 children together – son Joe Simmons and daughter Olivia Simmons.
Race / Ethnicity
He has English, Scots-Irish /Northern Irish, German, and Welsh ancestry.
- Long chin
- Bright blue eyes
J.K. Simmons has done voiceover work for the following brands –
- M&M’s candies
- Century 21 Realtors
- Saab automobiles
- Budget Express
- American Movie Channel
- Discovery Channel
Best Known For
- His role as Terence Fletcher in the film Whiplash (2014) for which he won numerous recognition including Academy Awards, BAFTA Awards, and Golden Globe Awards
- His versatile roles in TV series and films including Counterpart as Howard Silk, Oz (1997–2003) as Vernon Schillinger, Law & Order (1997–2010) as Dr. Emil Skoda, The Closer (2005–2012) as Will Pope, Spider-Man series (2002, 2004, 2007) as J. Jonah Jameson, Juno (2007) as Mac MacGuff, Justice League (2017) as Comm. James “Jim” Gordon, The Accountant (2016) as Raymond “Ray” King, Patriots Day (2016) as Sgt. Jeffrey Pugliese, Zootopia (2016) as Mayor Lionheart, and La La Land (2016) as Bill
In 1994, he made his theatrical film debut in the comedy crime drama, The Ref, as Siskel.
In 1994, he made his debut as a voice actor in the animated comedy-drama, Pom Poko, as Seizaemon.
First TV Show
In 1987, he made his first TV show appearance in the romantic mystery drama series, All My Children, as RCMP Sergeant.
In 2004, he made his TV show debut as a voice actor by providing his vocals to the character of General Wade Eiling in the animated action-adventure series, Justice League Unlimited.
J.K. Simmons works out regularly in the gym. He had maintained a slender fit physique since 2009 when he became overweight weighing around 250 pounds. He started working out with trainer Dana Perry who put him through some intense cardio workout program to help him lose weight. J.K. Simmons has also worked with trainer Aaron Williamson who helped him achieve the toned “sick arms”.
As for his diet, he follows a low-carb diet with lean proteins and lots of vegetables and prefers to eat every 3 hours. His secret superfood is one square piece of dark chocolate which he consumes almost every day.
J.K. Simmons Facts
- When he was 10, his family moved to Worthington, Ohio.
- He was a member of the drama, football, and choir groups in the Thomas Worthington High School.
- Growing up, he played a lot of football until he got a knee injury.
- In 1973, his father was appointed the director of the School of Music at the University of Montana and they moved to Missoula, Montana.
- In spite of his degree in Music, he cannot play any musical instrument properly.
- While living in Seattle, he worked as a “tutu-grams”, which requires delivering messages by singing to the intended customer.
- His shift from music to acting was gradual as he started playing the leads in musicals.
- He is known for playing sharp-tempered and authoritative figures.
- J.K. Simmons has acted alongside Bruce Campbell in many films including Spider-Man (2002), Spider-Man 2 (2004), The Ladykillers (2004), and Spider-Man 3 (2007).
- He had to wear a wig for his character J. Jonah Jameson in the Spider-Man films.
- He has appeared in all the feature films by Jason Reitman until 2018.
- J.K. Simmons has played the character of Dr. Emil Skoda in 4 different series including Law & Order (1994-2010), New York Undercover (from 1996-1998), Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (from 2000-2001), and Law & Order: Criminal Intent (in 2002).
- His breakthrough role was Vern Schillinger in HBO’s drama series, Oz (1997-2003).
- He has played the character J. Jonah Jameson in many popular series including The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes (2010), Ultimate Spider-Man (2012), and Avengers Assemble (2013).
- He has been a part of several Best Picture Oscar-nominated films including The Cider House Rules (1999), Juno (2007), Up in the Air (2009), True Grit (2010), Whiplash (2014), and La La Land (2016).
- He can speak German fluently.
- His hobbies include baseball and poker.
- He had to be hospitalized for kidney stone related issues after he gained 40+ pounds for a role in New in Town (2009).
- He has been a member of the Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, the men’s music fraternity, at the University of Montana.
- J.K. Simmons is a fan of the Detroit Tigers, and incidentally, he played the role of Detroit Tigers’ manager in For Love of the Game (1999).
- Having spent many years in Ohio, he also considers himself to be a fan of the Ohio State Buckeyes.
- J.K. Simmons does not have a social media account.
Featured Image by Gordon Correll / Flickr / CC BY 2.0