|James Coburn Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1¾ in|
|Date of Birth||August 31, 1928|
|Date of Death||November 18, 2002|
James Coburn was an American film and television actor, stage artist, voice artist, director, and producer who was cast in more than 70 films during his 45-year career. He also worked in a number of television shows such as Captain Planet and the Planeteers, The Greatest Show on Earth, Valley of the Dolls, Perry Mason, Bonanza, The Fifth Corner, The Dain Curse, Mr. Murder, Wanted: Dead or Alive, Wichita Town, Tales of Wells Fargo, and Arliss (final appearance).
James Harrison Coburn III
He was born on August 31, 1928.
On November 18, 2002, James Coburn died of a heart attack at the age of 74 in Beverly Hills, California, United States.
Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery, Westwood, Los Angeles, California, United States
Laurel, Cedar County, Nebraska, United States
He resided in Beverly Hills, California, United States.
James Coburn studied at Compton Junior College. Afterward, he got enrolled at Los Angeles City College and studied acting with fellow future actor Jeff Corey under Stella Adler’s tutelage.
He also trained in martial arts.
Actor, Stage Artist, Voice Artist, Director, Producer
- Father – James Harrison Coburn II (Had a garage business in Laurel that was destroyed by the Great Depression)
- Mother – Mylet S. Coburn (née Johnson)
- Others – Daniel Dutton Coburn (Paternal Grandfather), Altha Ann Johnson (Paternal Grandmother), Frans Johnsson (Maternal Grandfather), Anna Emilia Lindström (Maternal Grandmother)
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth was $10 Million.
6 ft 1¾ in or 187.5 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
James Coburn had dated –
- Beverly Kelly (1959-1979) – He got married to Beverly Kelly in the year 1959 and they were blessed with 2 children, including their son James H. Coburn IV (b. May 22, 1961). The couple divorced after 20 years of marriage in 1979.
- Lynsey de Paul (late 1970s) – James Coburn was romantically involved with English singer, songwriter, and producer Lynsey de Paul for around 4 years in the late 1970s.
- Paula Murad Coburn (1993-2002) – On October 22, 1993, he tied the knot with actor Paula Murad Coburn in Versailles, France and they remained married till Coburn’s death in 2002. They set up a charitable organization called the James and Paula Coburn Foundation.
Race / Ethnicity
James Coburn was of English and distant German descent on his father’s side and had Swedish roots on his mother’s side.
- Lanky physique
- A calm yet authoritative voice
- Frequently played mean, unscrupulous characters
He was cast in several TV commercials for the likes of –
- Lark cigarettes (Japan only)
- Remington Electric Shavers (December 11, 1955)
- Schlitz Light Beer (1977-1979)
- Milk (the late 1980s) (voice)
- Honda Acura (the 1990s) (voice)
- UPS (United Parcel Service) (the 1990s) (voice)
- Chevrolet Trucks (1998-1999) (voice)
James Coburn Favorite Things
- Performance Of His Own – Playing the role of Pat Garrett in Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973)
Source – IMDb
James Coburn Facts
- He spent his childhood years growing up in Compton, California.
- James Coburn was drafted into the United States Army in 1950. During that time, he served as a truck driver and occasionally a disc jockey on an Army radio station in Texas.
- He made his stage debut at the La Jolla Playhouse in Herman Melville’s Billy Budd.
- He shared a great bond with Bruce Lee and was one of the pallbearers at Lee’s funeral on July 25, 1973.
- On April 1, 1994, he was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7051 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.
- Alongside Nick Nolte, Sissy Spacek, and Willem Dafoe, James Coburn co-starred as Glen Whitehouse in the 1997 neo-noir crime drama film Affliction. This role won him the Academy Award for “Best Supporting Actor”.
Featured Image by NBC Television / eBay / Public Domain