|James Michael Tyler Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||May 28, 1962|
|Date of Death||October 24, 2021|
James Michael Tyler was an American actor, assistant film editor, and production assistant. He is best known for playing the role of Gunther in the NBC sitcom Friends, a role that made him the show’s most-frequently-appearing recurring character actor. In addition to that, Tyler was also cast in other shows and movies such as The Disturbance at Dinner, Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, Nobody’s Watching, Scrubs, Just Shoot Me!, The Gesture and The Word, Motel Blue, Jason’s Big Problem, and The Roommate.
James Michael Tyler
He was born on May 28, 1962.
On October 24, 2021, he died of prostate cancer at the age of 59 in Los Angeles, California, United States.
Mississippi, United States (He was born either in Greenwood, Mississippi or in Winona, Mississippi.)
He resided in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, United States.
James Michael Tyler studied at T.L. Hanna High School, from where he graduated in 1980. After that, he attended Anderson College (later known as Anderson University) and graduated with a 2-year degree in 1982.
He graduated from Clemson University with a degree in Geology in 1984. In 1987, he received his Master of Fine Arts degree from the University of Georgia.
Actor, Assistant Film Editor, Production Assistant
- Father – Dewitt Eugene Tyler (Served as a United States Air Force (USAF) captain)
- Mother – Mary Sue Pullen
- Siblings – Linda (Older Sister). James had 3 more older siblings.
James Michael Tyler was signed with Thirdhill Entertainment, Talent Management Company, Beverly Hills, California, United States.
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth had been $4 Million.
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
James Michael Tyler had dated –
- Barbara Chadsey (1995-2003) – He got married to Barbara Chadsey in the year 1995 but the couple separated in 2003. James filed for divorce in 2014 citing irreconcilable differences.
- Jennifer Carno – In 2017, he married Jennifer Carno and the duo remained together until his death in 2021.
Race / Ethnicity
He used to dye his hair ‘blonde’.
His bleached-blonde hair
James Michael Tyler Facts
- His father passed away when he was 10 years old and his mother died of breast cancer when James was 11. Eventually, he shifted to Anderson, South Carolina to live with his sister.
- James was the youngest of 5 siblings.
- During his time at Clemson University, he was a member of a student theatre group, the Clemson Players, which sparked his interest in pursuing a career in acting.
- When he shifted to Los Angeles in 1988, he worked as an assistant film editor and production assistant.
- From 1995 to 2004, James Michael Tyler played Gunther, a coffee shop worker at Central Perk who has a mostly secret profound love for Rachel, in the Friends.
- His signature blonde hair on Friends was in fact accidental.
- James Michael Tyler was cast as Oscar Bevins in the 1997 thriller film Motel Blue (also known as Blue Motel).
- In 2018, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and he publicly disclosed his illness in June 2021, shortly after the release of Friends: The Reunion.
- He supported charities like the Lili Claire Foundation and AIDS Project Los Angeles.
Featured Image by James Michael Tyler / Instagram