|James Patterson Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||March 22, 1947|
James Patterson is an American author and philanthropist who is widely recognized as one of the most commercially successful authors of his era having sold more than 300 million copies of his books worldwide. A prolific writer, he has penned more than 140 novels most notable among them being series such as Alex Cross, Women’s Murder Club, Michael Bennett, Private, and NYPD Red. He has also written several stand-alone novels, short stories, comics, children’s books, and biographies. He has been an active and vocal supporter of the campaign to promote the habit of reading among Americans of all age groups and has contributed millions of dollars towards the cause in terms of grants and scholarships, by monetarily supporting universities, colleges, bookstores, and libraries. The National Book Foundation (NBF), a nonprofit organization that works to raise the cultural appreciation of writing in America, in November 2015, had honored him with the ‘Literarian Award’ in recognition of his efforts towards making reading a ‘national priority’.
James Brendan Patterson
Newburgh, Orange County, New York, United States
Palm Beach, Palm Beach County, Florida, United States
James, after his high school graduation, had joined Manhattan College, a private, Roman Catholic, liberal arts college in The Bronx, New York City. He had graduated from there, summa cum laude (with highest praise/honors), with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.
He had later earned a Master of Arts degree in English from Vanderbilt University, a private research university in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Father – Charles Patterson (Insurance Broker)
- Mother – Isabelle Patterson (née Morris) (Teacher)
- Siblings – Maryellen Patterson (Younger Sister). He has 2 other younger sisters.
Mystery, Young Adult Fiction, Thriller, Comedy, Realistic Fiction, Romance, Science Fiction
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
81 kg or 178.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
James has dated –
- Susan Patterson (1995-Present) – James and Susan (aka Sue) had started dating in 1995 and the couple got married in 1997. They have a son together named Jack Patterson (b. 1998).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Irish descent.
- Stocky frame
- Clean-shaven look
- Puffy face
- Affable smile
- Short-cropped, receding hair
James Patterson Facts
- Although James was a Ph.D. candidate at Vanderbilt University, he had taken up a job as an advertising executive at J. Walter Thompson, the renowned advertisement holding company that was set up in 1896 by advertising pioneer James Walter Thompson.
- Although he had been publishing books since 1976, when his first novel titled The Thomas Berryman Number was released, he became much more prolific after he retired from advertising in 1996, which had allowed him to devote himself completely to writing.
- He holds the record for being the first author to have sold 1 million e-books.
- In 2016, he was named, for the 3rd successive year, as the ‘Highest-Paid Author’ by Forbes magazine.
- As of December 2020, 114 novels written by him had become ‘New York Times Bestselling Novels’. 67 of these had reached the status of ‘#1 New York Times Bestsellers’ which is a record by a single author not just in the ‘#1 New York Times’ list but also a ‘Guinness World Record’.
Featured Image by James Patterson / Instagram