|Jay Watson Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||May 20, 1990|
Jay Watson is an Australian multi-instrumentalist, singer and songwriter who is best known for playing in 2 of Australia’s well-known bands Tame Impala and Pond. As a solo music artist who works under the moniker GUM, he is known for releasing several albums such as Delorean Highway (2014), Glamorous Damage (2015), Flash in the Pan (2016), and The Underdog (2018). He has also released many hit singles like Anesthetized Lesson (2016), Elafonissi Blue (2016), S.I.A (2018), and The Underdog (2018). His music videos The Blue Marble (2018) and Anesthetized Lesson (2015) also earned him quite a lot of fame. He has also amassed a huge fan base with more than 80k followers on Instagram.
Jay W. Watson
Fremantle, Perth, Australia
Jay attended the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts for 5 months. After that, he ended up dropping out during his 1st-semester exams.
Multi-Instrumentalist, Singer, Songwriter
- Siblings – Max Watson (Brother), Kai Watson (Brother)
Jay is represented by Spinning Top Music.
Psychedelic Rock, Alternative Rock, Neo-Psychedelia, Dream Pop, Psychedelic Pop, Space Rock, Alternative
Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Bass, Synthesizer, Piano, Organ
Spinning Top Records
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
89 kg or 196 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jay has dated –
- Lucy Jack – Though Jay has not yet spoken about his personal life in public, he seems to be very close to a girl named Lucy Jack. The two can be seen in pictures that have been uploaded to Jay’s Instagram dating all the way back to 2015.
Race / Ethnicity
Best Known For
- Playing with 2 of Australia’s most influential psychedelic rock-bands Tame Impala and Pond
- Releasing several albums like Delorean Highway (2014), Glamorous Damage (2015), Flash in the Pan (2016), and The Underdog (2018) under the moniker “GUM”
Under the stage name GUM, he released his debut album titled Delorean Highway on May 30, 2014. It was compiled of a total 10 songs like Growin’ Up, The Sky Opened Up, Summer Rain, and Day Of Triffids.
As a member of Pond, he contributed his skills to the release of their first studio album titled Psychedelic Mango on January 9, 2009. It consisted of a total of 8 tracks such as Paisley Adams, Bees, That Is How We Came, and Sweeping My Mind Tunnel. The album also included 2 bonus tracks titled Don’t Look At The Sun Or You’ll Go Blind which was played live at the John Curtin Band Room in Melbourne in 2010 and Mick Manmoose that was played live at Mojos in Fremantle in 2009.
As a member of Tame Impala, he lent his skills to the release of their debut studio album titled Innerspeaker on May 21, 2010. He played the drums for the songs Solitude Is Bliss, The Bold Arrow of Time, and Island Walking.
First TV Show
He made his debut TV show appearance in Spicks and Specks in 2014.
Jay is also very fond of playing tennis. As a sport that involves a lot of body movement, short-sprinting, and upper body strength, it is a good way of burning fat and toning and conditioning the muscles throughout the body while having fun. Jay also believes that by exercising and playing tennis he can help himself keep away unwanted cravings.
As for his diet, he avoids the intake of any product with caffeine and also prefers to stay away from junk food such as hamburgers.
Jay Watson Favorite Things
- Tennis Player – Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
- Song – Opehlia (2008) by The Silents, Kiss It Better (2016) by Rihanna
- Band – The Silents
- Music Festival – Danny Rogers St. Jerome Laneway Festival
- Musicians – Connan Mockasin, LA Priest
- Line From Adore (1978) by Prince – “I’d like to think that I’m a man of exquisite taste”
- Sport – Australian Football
- Place To Visit – Japan
Source – SunGenre.com, CoupdemainMagazine.com, TalkHouse.com
Jay Watson Facts
- He was raised in Northam, Western Australia.
- Jay got his stage name “GUM” from his nickname “Gumby” which was given to him in reference to an American clay animation show called Gumby. He later, changed it to GUM when he started recording his own music.
- He co-founded the Australian psychedelic rock band Pond in 2008, along with its fellow members Nick Allbrook and Joe Ryan. Jay also plays alongside Kevin Parker of Tame Impala as their drummer and keyboardist.
- Jay was once starstruck by Bono at a concert in Ireland.
- In his younger days, he had started smoking weed quite heavily. Later, he started to suffer from sudden anxiety and paranoia. He would often get the feeling that there was asbestos in his sandwiches.
- If he could have done anything apart from making music, he would have loved to have been able to write a novel.
- He has a pig named Paul.
- Jay enjoys watching the Australian Football League. He is also a huge fan of tennis.
- He spends his free time searching for music equipment on Craiglist or reads about AFL players statistics and any kind of news related to them.
- Until 2018, Jay was writing and releasing almost 20 songs a year.
- Jay prefers to wake up by 8 AM.
- In the past, he was diagnosed with high blood pressure for which, he had to ward off his caffeine addiction.
- As he is a songwriter for the band Pond as well, he often has to decide on which song he would give to the band and which to release under his moniker “GUM”.
- He enjoys performing in South America and Central America.
- Jay loves to travel to Tokyo and Osaka whenever he gets the chance.
- He is a huge fan of the shows Stranger Things and Westworld.
- Jay once lived in London for 2 years.
- He and his bandmates from Pond do most of their discussions through email and mostly meet only when they are set to record another one of their hit albums.
- Jay left his studies that he was pursuing at the WAAPA after not being able to answer a question during his first semester exams.
- He released his debut single Anesthetized Lesson in March 2016. The song was remixed by Tame Impala‘s Kevin Parker.
- In 2017, while in an interview with Coup De Main magazine, he talked about losing his touch as a drummer but getting better at mixing.
- He is a huge fan of the game Pokémon GO. At the age of 13, he would finish his Pokemon games within a couple of days of having bought it.
Featured Image by Jay Watson / Instagram