|Jermell Charlo Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||May 19, 1990|
Jermell Charlo is an American professional boxer who had won 35 and drawn 1 of his 37 professional bouts, as of May 2022. In January 2013, in his 20th professional bout, he had won the vacant WBC (World Boxing Council) Continental Americas light middleweight title. In his very next bout, in June 2013, he had clinched the IBF (International Boxing Federation)-USBA (United States Boxing Association) light middleweight title. In May 2016, in his 28th professional bout, he had claimed the vacant WBC light middleweight title. He retained the title in April 2017, October 2017, and June 2018. He lost the title in December 2018, to Tony Harrison via unanimous decision, in what was the 1st professional defeat of his career after 31 straight wins. In December 2019, exactly a year later, he had his revenge. He beat Tony via technical knockout to regain the WBC light middleweight title. In September 2020, he retained that title and also captured the WBA (World Boxing Association) (Super), IBF, and vacant The Ring light middleweight titles. He retained all of these titles in July 2021 in a split draw against Brian Castaño. However, as the bout was drawn, he could not win the WBO (World Boxing Organization) light middleweight title which was also on the line in this match. He defeated Brian, via knockout, in a rematch in May 2022, to not just retain all of the aforementioned titles but also clinch the WBO light middleweight title.
Jermell DeAvante Charlo
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
He splits his time between Houston, Texas, United States, and Los Angeles, California, United States.
Jermell had graduated from the Alief Hastings High School, a public school in Alief, Houston.
- Father – Kevin Charlo (Former Boxer)
- Mother – Terrie Charlo
- Siblings – Jermall Charlo (Identical Twin Brother) (Professional Boxer) (WBC Middleweight Champion (as of May 2022) since June 2019; IBF Light Middleweight Champion from September 2015 to February 2017). He also has an older sister.
- Others – Shantel Charlo (Sister-in-Law). He has 4 nephews and a niece.
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
69 kg or 152 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jermell has dated –
- Chy Westbrook (2019-Present) – Jermell had started dating Chy Westbrook in 2019 and they got married later. They have 2 children together – a son and a daughter.
He also has a son named Elijah (b. August 2009) from a previous, unnamed relationship.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African-American descent.
He often tends to dye his hair light brown.
- Toned physique
- Side-cropped, afro hair
- Sports a trimmed goatee
- Has tattoos on both hands and both shoulders
He has been sponsored by the sports apparel brand ASRV.
Jermell Charlo Facts
- Jermell is younger than his identical twin brother and fellow professional boxer Jermall by one minute.
- The brothers took to boxing when they began following their father, a former boxer, into the local gym.
- Jermell had won the ‘Bronze’ medal at the 2005 Junior Olympics, at the age of just 15. He ended his amateur career with a win-loss record of 56-8. His professional boxing debut was in December 2007, at the age of just 17.
- In 2017, he was ranked the “world’s best active light middleweight boxer” by the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board (TBRB).
- As of April 2021, he was ranked the “world’s best active light middleweight boxer” by the TBRB, boxrec.com, and The Ring magazine.
- On May 14, 2022, when he unified the WBO belt with his WBA (Super), WBC, and IBF light middleweight belts, he became just the 7th male 4-belt undisputed champion in history.
Featured Image by Jermell Charlo / Instagram