Queen of the 5K
Afton, Minnesota, United States
Jessie Diggins went to the Stillwater High School. After her high school graduation, she had a scholarship offer from Northern Michigan University. However, she decided to postpone college education to become a full-time Nordic racer.
Cross Country Skier
- Father – Clay Diggins
- Mother – Debra Diggins
- Siblings – Mackenzie Diggins (Sister)
Stratton Mountain Elites
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Jessie Diggins has dated –
- Wade Poplawski – Jessie is in a relationship with financial analyst, Wade Poplawski, who specializes in asset-based securities. She had first met Wade at a friend’s wedding. While studying at the university, he used to play ice hockey and was even considered NHL prospect. Jessie often flaunts her love for her man on the social media.
Race / Ethnicity
- Petite figure
- Blue eyes
- Freckled face
Jessie Diggins has an endorsement deal with the retail company, L.L. Bean. She often uses her social media reach to promote their products.
She was also announced as the brand ambassador of Podiumwear in 2013.
Jessie has appeared in the TV commercials for –
- Team USA Winter Collection
- The More You Know
Also, she has endorsed a couple of other products and brands through her social media activity.
Best Known For
Being one of the most accomplished and popular American cross-country skiers. She has won multiple awards and medals in her discipline including gold and silver medals at the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships.
First TV Show
In 2014, Jessie Diggins made her first TV show appearance on the show, Access Hollywood.
Jessie Diggins had a pretty grueling workout routine in place to prepare her body for Winter Olympics. Her daily training usually started at 9 in the morning with easy paced roller skiing for about 2 hours around her hometown. As it is difficult to always find snow, most cross-country skiers rely on roller skiing, which is similar to roller skating, to build endurance.
After she was done with roller skiing, she jogged around for about one and a half hours. She had another training session in the evening, which started with running at a comfortable pace for around 40 minutes. It was followed by a series of exercises aimed at strengthening her core. She ended her workout session with a bit of stretching and foam roll.
She usually trains for 6 days a week and allows herself the luxury of an off day once in a week.
Her daily diet plan is as follows –
- Breakfast – She toasts steel-cut oats in coconut oil and leaves it to soak in almond milk and chai spices overnight. In the morning, she adds toasted apple slices, pecans, and Greek yogurt to the bowl of oats.
- Morning Post Workout Snack – Homemade banana flaxseed muffin with clementine
- Lunch – Pasta tossed with pesto and baked salmon or a salad made from goat cheese, beets, and walnuts
- Afternoon Snack – A homemade cookie with little cereal stirred in kefir, which is a drinkable yogurt
- Dinner – Stir fried pheasant with veggies and brown rice
- Night Snack – Homemade white chili with brown rice
Jessie Diggins Favorite Things
- Race Day Accessory – Glitter
- Hobbies – Cooking and growing veggies in her home garden
- Food – Salmon
- Junk Food – Dark chocolate
- Style Of Dance – Hip-hop
- Workout Fuel – Nuun, Granola Bar
- Celebrity – Nina Dobrev
- Celebrity Crush – Zac Efron
- Workout Songs – “Bluebirds” by Life of Dillon, “Vibe” by JoJo, “Sorry” by Justin Bieber, “HandClap” by Fitz & The Tantrums, “All Time Low” by Jon Bellion
- Teammate – Kikkan Randall
- Desserts – Fruit crisps, Flourless chocolate cake
Jessie Diggins Facts
- Once, while holidaying in Hawaii with her friends, her rental car was broken down and the thieves took off with most of their valuables including clothes, leaving them with the task of heading to the police station in dripping swimsuits.
- She got into skiing at the age of 4 as her family used to take her to the trails at Willow River State Park in Hudson.
- While growing up, she often used to participate in the Minnesota Youth Ski League.
- Every spring, she schedules training sessions at her alma mater, Stillwater High School and other schools in the region.
- When she was in the 7th grade, she managed to get selected in the Stillwater’s varsity cross country team.
- Early in her career, she used to go door to door to finance her fledgling career. She used to carry a scrapbook of her accomplishments and a Cool Whip container for donations. Eventually, the owner of Chilkoot Café in Stillwater got so impressed with Jessie that he hosted a fundraiser for her. He has made it a norm to host viewing parties and fundraises for her at his café ever since.
- In 2013, Jessie and teammate Kikkan Randall created history by becoming the first US cross-country skiers to win a gold medal at the world championship held in Italy.
- She serves as an ambassador of Fast and Female, which is a non-profit organization founded by the Canadian skier Chandra Crawford. They aim to empower girls to love their body and their personality through sports.
- She holds the distinction of being the first American competitor to secure a podium finish in the overall classification at Tour de Ski.
Featured Image by Jessie Diggins / Instagram