|Joel McCrea Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2½ in|
|Date of Birth||November 5, 1905|
|Date of Death||October 20, 1990|
Joel McCrea was an American actor and producer best known for his work in Western films. His career spanned almost 5 decades and his film credits include The More the Merrier, Reaching for the Sun, The Most Dangerous Game, Wichita, These Three, Bed of Roses, Sullivan’s Travels, Bird of Paradise, Foreign Correspondent, The Palm Beach Story, Barbary Coast, Dead End, Banjo on My Knee, The Great Man’s Lady, Come and Get It, Ride the High Country, The Gunfight at Dodge City, The Tall Stranger, The Richest Girl in the World, Internes Can’t Take Money, They Shall Have Music, Chance at Heaven, and Three Blind Mice. Joel McCrea was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6901 Hollywood Blvd. for his contribution to the motion picture industry and another star at 6241 Hollywood Blvd. for his contribution to radio.
Joel Albert McCrea
He was born on November 5, 1905.
On October 20, 1990, Joel McCrea died of pneumonia at the age of 84 at the Motion Picture & Television Country House and Hospital in Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, California, United States.
South Pasadena, California, United States
He resided in California, United States.
Joel McCrea studied at Hollywood High School and then graduated from Pomona College (class of 1928).
- Father – Thomas McCrea (An executive with the L.A. Gas & Electric Company)
- Mother – Louise “Lou” Whipple
- Others – Francis “Frank” Marion Dee (Father-In-Law), Frances Marion Dee (Mother-In-Law), Wyatt McCrea (Grandosn) (Producer, Actor)
6 ft 2½ in or 189 cm
82 kg or 180.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Joel McCrea had dated –
- Margaret Early
- Jean Harlow – Joel McCrea once dated actor Jean Harlow.
- Marion Davies – He was romantically involved with actor, producer, screenwriter, and philanthropist Marion Davies.
- Dolores del Rio – He hooked up with Mexican actor Dolores del Rio and they also worked together in the 1932 pre-Code romantic adventure drama film Bird of Paradise.
- Constance Bennett (1929-1930) – Joel started going out with actor, stage artist, radio personality, and producer Constance Bennett in the year 1929. The duo parted ways the following year.
- Katharine Hepburn (1932) – He had an affair with actor Katharine Hepburn in 1932.
- Frances Dee (1933-1990) – Joel McCrea met actor Frances Dee while filming the 1933 pre-Code film The Silver Cord and they got married in Rye, New York on October 20, 1933. The duo was blessed with 3 sons named Jody McCrea (September 6, 1934 – April 4, 2009), Peter McCrea, and David McCrea. Joel and Frances remained together until his death in 1990.
- Claudette Colbert (1943) – He was linked with actor Claudette Colbert in 1943.
Race / Ethnicity
Joel McCrea Favorite Things
- One Of His Personal Favorite Films – Stars in My Crown (1950)
Source – IMDb
Joel McCrea Facts
- Ever since his younger years, he developed a love and understanding of horses and was later considered one of the best riders in Western films.
- When he was in high school, Joel McCrea used to work as a stunt double and held horses for Hollywood cowboy stars like William S. Hart and Tom Mix.
- Along with Jean Arthur and Charles Coburn, Joel McCrea co-starred as Joe Carter in the 1943 comedy film The More the Merrier. It received 6 nominations at the 16th Academy Awards.
- He supported Thomas Dewey in the 1944 United States presidential election, Barry Goldwater in the 1964 United States presidential election, and Ronald Reagan in the 1966 California gubernatorial election.
- Joel McCrea received a career achievement award from the L.A. Film Critics Association in 1968.
- He was inducted into the Hall of Great Western Performers at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in 1969.
Featured Image by United Artists Studio Photographer / eBay / Public Domain