|John Ortiz Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||May 23, 1968|
John Ortiz is an American actor and co-founder of the LAByrinth Theater Company who is best known for his successful portrayal of his antagonist role as Arturo Braga in the blockbuster film series Fast & Furious. He was part of the movie series in the years 2009 and 2013, and, this had also earned him a nomination for the Independent Spirit Award for “Best Supporting Actor”. After his acting debut in 1993, he landed on more film roles and appeared in numerous films including Take the Lead, Before Night Falls, Amistad, El Cantante, Ransom, Narc, Ridley Scott‘s American Gangster, and Michael Mann’s Miami Vice.
He has also landed a few major television roles including his lead portrayal in J.J. Abrams‘s Hope Against Hope on HBO, Denis Leary’s series The Job, CBS’s Clubhouse, and NBC’s hit drama series Blue Blood. Apart from appearing on top-billed movies and series, Ortiz has also made his way to Broadway and debuted in 2003 in Nilo Cruz’s Pulitzer Prize-winning play Anna in the Tropics.
Bushwick, Brooklyn, New York, United States
He graduated from John Dewey High School situated in Brooklyn, where he also met his wife Jennifer.
John Ortiz is represented by Sanders Armstrong Caserta Management, Talent Management Company, Santa Monica, California, United States
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
John Ortiz has dated –
- Jennifer Ortiz – John Ortiz is married to a non-showbiz personality named Jennifer with whom he has a son named Clemente.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Puerto Rican ancestry.
Salt and Pepper
Best Known For
His outstanding portrayal of his antagonist role as Arturo Braga in the mega-popular film series Fast & Furious
In 1993, John Ortiz made his theatrical film debut as Guajiro in the crime-drama film Carlito’s Way.
First TV Show
In 1992, he made his TV show debut in an episode titled The Corporate Veil of the crime-drama series, Law & Order as Roberto Martinez.
John Ortiz Facts
- In 1992, he founded the LAByrinth Theater Company, an award-winning group of more than 100 artists from a wide variety of cultural backgrounds and creative disciplines.
- In 2006, he appeared as Che Guevara in the world premiere of School of the Americas by Jose Rivera, a co-production between LAByrinth Theater Company and The Public Theater.
- While he was working in theatre, Ortiz had frequently worked with playwright Stephen Adly Guirgis.
- In 2008, he earned a Screen Actors Guild Award nomination in the “Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture” category for his role in American Gangster.
- Connect with John Ortiz on Twitter.
Featured Image by Montclair Film / Flickr / CC BY 2.0