|John Wayne Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||May 26, 1907|
|Date of Death||June 11, 1979|
John Wayne was an American actor, director, and producer whose career spanned from the silent era of the 1920s, through the Golden Age of Hollywood, and eventually, the American New Wave as he appeared in a total of 179 films and television productions. His lead roles in Western films made him an iconic figure and he was posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor of the United States. Some of his movies include The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Longest Day, Red River, True Grit, The Quiet Man, Rio Bravo, The Shootist, Sands of Iwo Jima, and The Cowboys.
Marion Robert Morrison
John Wayne, Marion Mitchell Morrison, ‘The Duke’, JW, Duke
He was born on May 26, 1907.
On June 11, 1979, he died of stomach cancer at the age of 72 in Los Angeles, California, United States.
Pacific View Memorial Park, Newport Beach, California, United States
Winterset, Madison County, Iowa, United States
John Wayne studied at Glendale Union High School and then got enrolled at the University of Southern California, majoring in pre-law.
Actor, Director, Producer
- Father – Clyde Leonard Morrison (Worked as a pharmacist) (1884–1937)
- Mother – Mary “Molly” Alberta Brown (1885–1970)
- Sibling – Robert E. Morrison (Younger Brother) (1911-1970)
- Others – Marion Mitchell Morrison (Paternal Grandfather) (American Civil War Veteran), Wealtha Chase “Wetha” Parsons (Paternal Grandfather), Robert Emmet Brown (Maternal Grandfather), Margaret “Mary” Kennedy (Maternal Grandmother), Robert Morrison (Paternal Great-Great-Grandfather)
6 ft 4 in or 193 cm
109 kg or 240 lbs (as per his driver’s license)
Girlfriend / Spouse
John Wayne had dated –
- Osa Massen
- Clara Bow
- Joyce Compton
- Josephine Saenz (1933-1945) – He married Josephine Alicia Saenz in 1933 and they were blessed with 4 children, namely, Michael Wayne (November 23, 1934-April 2, 2003), Mary Antonia “Toni” Wayne LaCava (February 25, 1936-December 6, 2000), Patrick Wayne (b. July 15, 1939), and Melinda Wayne Munoz (b. December 3, 1940). The duo divorced in 1945.
- Jean Arthur (1929-1931)
- Laura La Plante (1931)
- Barbara Stanwyck (1933)
- Polly Ann Young (1934)
- Claire Trevor (1939)
- Marlene Dietrich (1940-1943)
- Sigrid Gurie (1940)
- Joan Blondell (1941-1942)
- Paulette Goddard (1942) – RUMOR
- Carmen Miranda (1944)
- Esperanza Baur (1946-1954) – He married his second wife, Mexican actress Esperanza Baur, on January 17, 1946, in Long Beach, California. They had a troublesome marriage and Wayne once stated, “Our marriage was like shaking two volatile chemicals in a jar”. The marriage ended in 1954.
- Katy Jurado (1951)
- Susan Hayward (1952-1953)
- Gail Russell (1953)
- Pilar Pallete (1954-1979) – In 1954, he married Peruvian actress Pilar Pallete and they had 3 children – Aissa Wayne (b. March 31, 1956), John Ethan Wayne (b. February 22, 1962), and Marisa Wayne (b. February 22, 1966). Although John Wayne and Pilar separated in 1973, they remained married until his death in 1979.
- Mara Corday (1953)
- Pat Stacy (1973-1979)
Race / Ethnicity
He was of Scots-Irish/Northern Irish, English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh descent.
- Gravelly voice
- Cat-like walk
- Towering height
- Often starred with Maureen O’Hara
He had been a part of TV commercials for Great Western Savings Bank, Coors Beer, Datril headache relief medication, Camel cigarettes, American Cancer Society, US Savings Bonds, Gillette adjustable razors, and others.
John Wayne’s Favorite Things
- Authors – Charles Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie
- One Of His Favorite Possessions – His yacht named the Wild Goose
- Drink – Sauza Commemorativo Tequila
- Books – David Copperfield by Charles Dickens, The White Company and Sir Nigel by Arthur Conan Doyle
- Leisure Activities – Playing bridge, poker, and chess
- Film Role Of His Own – Ethan Edwards from The Searchers
John Wayne Facts
- Despite being a vocally prominent conservative Republican, he voted for Democratic President Franklin D. Roosevelt in the 1936 presidential election and expressed admiration for Roosevelt’s successor, fellow Democratic President Harry S. Truman.
- John Wayne was inducted into the Hall of Great Western Performers in the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in 1974.
- On April 9, 1979, he made his last public appearance at the Academy Awards ceremony.
- In October 1997, John Wayne was ranked number #16 in “The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time” list curated by Empire (UK) magazine.
- He was friends with Barry Goldwater, Dean Martin, Ward Bond, Sammy Davis Jr., Maureen O’Hara, Kirk Douglas, and Harry Morgan.
- In 1979, in honor of John Wayne, Orange County Airport was renamed John Wayne Airport which is in Santa Ana, California. 3 years later in 1982, his statue was also installed at the airline terminal.
Featured Image by Ned Scott / eBay / Public Domain