|Johnny Cash Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||February 26, 1932|
|Date of Death||September 12, 2003|
Johnny Cash was an American singer, songwriter, musician, actor, and voice actor who is credited as one of the best-selling music artists of all time. His music embraced different genres like country, rock and roll, rockabilly, blues, folk, and gospel sounds and that earned him the rare honor of being inducted into the Country Music, Rock and Roll, and Gospel Music Halls of Fame.
J. R. Cash
The Man in Black, Johnny, John R. Cash, Johnny Cash, John
He was born on February 26, 1932.
On September 12, 2003, Johnny Cash died of complications from diabetes at the age of 71 in Nashville, Tennessee, United States.
Hendersonville Memory Gardens, Hendersonville, Tennessee, United States
Kingsland, Cleveland County, Arkansas, United States
Johnny Cash finished high school in 1950.
Singer, Songwriter, Musician, Actor, Voice Actor
- Father – Ray Cash
- Mother – Carrie Cloveree (née Rivers)
- Siblings – Roy Cash (Older Brother), Margaret Louise (Older Sister), Jack Cash (Older Brother), Reba (Younger Sister), Joanne (Younger Sister), Tommy Cash (Younger Brother) (Musician, Singer, Songwriter)
- Others – Rev. William Henry Cash (Paternal Grandfather), Rebecca Sara/Sarah Jane Overton (Paternal Grandmother), John Lewis Rivers (Maternal Grandfather), Rosanna Lee Hurst (Maternal Grandmother), Sir William Cash (Distant Cousin) (British Conservative Politician)
Country, Rockabilly, Rock and Roll, Folk, Blues, Gospel, Outlaw Country
Sun Records, Columbia Records, Mercury Records, American Recordings, House of Cash, Legacy Recordings
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth was $60 Million at the time of his death.
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Johnny Cash had dated –
- Billie Jean Jones (1950-1951)
- Vivian Liberto (1951-1966) – He met 17-year-old Italian-American Vivian Liberto on July 18, 1951, while in Air Force basic training. They eventually started dating and went out for 3 weeks before Cash was deployed to West Germany for a 3-year tour. They exchanged many love letters during this time and got married on August 7, 1954, at St. Ann’s Roman Catholic Church in San Antonio, one month after his discharge. The couple had 4 daughters – Rosanne Cash (b. May 24, 1955), Kathy Cash (b. April 16, 1956), Cindy Cash (b. July 29, 1959), and Tara Cash (b. August 24, 1961). Vivian Liberto filed for divorce in 1966 and their daughters were raised by Vivian.
- June Carter (1968-2003) – He met singer-songwriter June Carter while on a tour and proposed to her during a live performance in London, Ontario in 1968, thirteen years after they first met backstage at the Grand Ole Opry. On March 1, 1968, the duo married in Franklin, Kentucky. Their only child together, a son named John Carter Cash, was born on March 3, 1970. They remained together until her death in May 2003.
Race / Ethnicity
Johnny Cash was of English, Scots-Irish/Northern Irish, Scottish, Irish, and German descent.
- Deep baritone voice
- Humble nature
- Trademark all-black stage wardrobe
Johnny Cash had been cast in the TV commercials for –
- Lionel Model Trains (the 1970s)
- American Oil Company (Amoco) (1972)
- Bulova Watches (1982)
- Taco Bell Restaurants (1990)
- General Electric Aircraft Engines (2003)
- Nissan Cars (1997)
- Volkswagen Automobiles (voice-over songs)
- STP Gas Treatment
He was raised a Southern Baptist.
Johnny Cash Favorite Things
- Country Singer – Dwight Yoakam
Source – IMDb
Johnny Cash Facts
- As his mother wanted to name him John and his father preferred to name him Ray, he was named J. R. as a compromise. However, he was not permitted to use initials as a first name when he enlisted in the Air Force so he changed his name to John R. Cash.
- His debut studio album Johnny Cash with His Hot and Blue Guitar! was released on October 11, 1957.
- Johnny Cash received the Kennedy Center Honors in 1996.
- He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Recording at 6320 Hollywood Blvd.
Featured Image by CBS Television / archive.org / Public Domain