|Johnny Mathis Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7½ in|
|Date of Birth||September 30, 1935|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Johnny Mathis is an American singer, songwriter, and actor who is considered as one of the prominent pop musicians and has also been honored with the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. He has been inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame for 3 separate recordings i.e. in 1998 for Chances Are, in 2002 for Misty, and in 2008 for It’s Not for Me to Say.
John Royce Mathis
Gilmer, Texas, United States
Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles, California, United States
Johnny Mathis attended George Washington High School in San Francisco and then joined San Francisco State College on an athletic scholarship.
Moreover, he has also taken voice lessons from Connie Cox.
Singer, Songwriter, Actor
- Father – Clemmie Lorenzo Mathis
- Mother – Mildred Boyd
- Siblings – Clem L. Mathis, Jr. (Brother), Michael Mathis (Brother), Ralph Mathis (Brother), Marguerite McMillian (Sister), Linda Mathis (Sister), Elizabeth Mathis (Sister)
- Others – John Mathis (Paternal Grandfather), Margaret “Maggie”/”Tax” Pierce (Paternal Grandmother)
Pop, Jazz, Traditional Pop, Soul, Rhythm and Blues, Show Tunes, Soft Rock, Blues, Country Music, Disco
Columbia Records, Fontana Records, Mercury Records
5 ft 7½ in or 171.5 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Girlfriends / Boyfriend / Spouse
Johnny Mathis has dated –
- Regina Belle
- Estelle Bennett
- George Avakian
- Mitch Miller
- Patti Austin
- Deniece Williams
Race / Ethnicity
Mixed (Black and White)
Johnny Mathis is of African-American and Native American descent.
Although he has dated both men and women, he has identified himself as gay in several interviews.
He was part of a TV commercial for Old Navy clothing in 2012.
Johnny Mathis Facts
- He released his eponymous debut studio album in 1956 through Columbia Records.
- In an Us Magazine article in 1982, Johnny Mathis said, “Homos*xuality is a way of life that I’ve grown accustomed to.” As a result, he received several death threats and did not speak on the matter for several upcoming years.
- He has also appeared in shows and movies like The Ed Sullivan Show, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Just Getting Started, Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, and Criminal Minds.
- He has been friends with Joe Mantegna and Gordon Goodwin.
- Some of Johnny Mathis’s musical influences include Lena Horne, Nat King Cole, and Bing Crosby.
- Over the years, he has supported organizations like the American Cancer Society, the March of Dimes, the YWCA and YMCA, the Muscular Dystrophy Association, and the NAACP.
- He has received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Recording at 1501 Vine Street in Hollywood, California.
Featured Image by Dwight McCann/Chumash Casino / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 2.5