|Joi Elaine Gilliam Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||January 25, 1971|
Joi Elaine Gilliam is an American singer, songwriter, record producer, actress and model who came into prominence as a member of Atlanta’s famous musical collective named Dungeon Family, by getting featured on the tracks of various artists such as Organized Noize. Her signature songs have included Sunshine & the Rain (1994). She has released a number of albums as well, including her debut The Pendulum Vibe (1994), and has also appeared in several TV shows like Luke Cage (2018). Joi has amassed more than 66k followers on Instagram.
Joi Elaine Gilliam
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer, Actress, Model
- Father – Joe Gilliam (NFL Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterback)
R&B, Rock, Funk, Soul, Progressive Soul
- EMI Records Ltd.
- Rowdy Records
- Universal Motown
- Pookie Records
- Joilicious Music LLC.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
62 kg or 136.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
She has dated –
- Big Gipp (1995-2003) – She married Big Gipp in 1995 and they have a daughter named Keypsiia (b. 1996). The couple got divorced in 2003.
- André 3000 (2001) – In 2001, it was reported that she had hooked up with rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer, dancer, and actor André 3000. They had met while working on the song Movin’ Cool (The After Party), in which Joi was a featured artist.
Race / Ethnicity
She often tends to dye her hair in different shades.
- High cheekbones
- Mole on her left cheek
- Pierced nose
She has appeared in commercials for various brands including CK One by Calvin Klein. She has also endorsed or promoted several brands such as HUM Nutrition.
Joi Elaine Gilliam Favorite Things
- Food – Burgers
Source – Instagram
Joi Elaine Gilliam Facts
- She has stated that growing up in Nashville had impacted her love for the arts in music. Joi had started dancing when she was around 3 years old and used to take part in a few theatre groups that were associated with the school she used to attend. She had a great appreciation for music since the time she was able to talk and there were many culturally rich programs that would come through Nashville that she would thoroughly enjoy. Her mother had recognized that she was an artsy child and whenever anything would be held in Nashville, whether theatre-wise or concert-wise or, she would always get tickets right away and ensure that Joi could watch it along with participating in it. Joi went on to see that it had a huge influence on her, giving her a very broad as well as a diverse sense of artistic appreciation.
- She had relocated to Atlanta permanently at the age of 21.
- Joi’s album The Pendulum Vibe has been speculated to be the piece of work that inspired the 6th studio album by Madonna titled Bedtime Stories. Joi has disclosed to have been delighted to have met the superstar whom she had found to be super elegant. Madonna had been extremely nice and respectful to Joi in spite of her being a new artist at the time.
- Joi has revealed that she has felt music to be a lifeline to sanity, memory, and inspiration for her, and the most powerful medium, for better or for worse.
Featured Image by Joi Elaine Gilliam / Instagram