Jonathan Niven Cryer
New York City, New York, United States
Jon Cryer went to the Bronx High School of Science in New York City and graduated in 1983.
He then decided to skip college and instead got enrolled at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) in London.
Also, as a teenager, he had attended classes at Stagedoor Manor Performing Arts Training Center for summers.
He also took film direction classes at the University of Southern California.
Actor, screenwriter, television director, producer, podcaster
- Father – Donald David Cryer (Actor and Singer)
- Mother – Gretchen Cryer (Actress, songwriter, and playwright)
- Siblings – Robin Cryer (Sister), Shelly Cryer (Sister)
- Others – Donald Walter Cryer (Paternal Grandfather) (Methodist Minister), Pauline Spitler (Paternal Grandmother), Earl William Kiger, Jr. (Maternal Grandfather), Louise Geraldine Niven (Maternal Grandmother)
Jon Cryer is represented by United Talent Agency.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jon Cryer has dated –
- Demi Moore (1984) – Jon Cryer went out with actress Demi Moore in 1984. It was reported that they had grown close while working in the movie, No Small Affair.
- Sarah Trigger (1999-2004) – Jon got married to British actress, Sarah Trigger in 1999. She gave birth to a son, Charlie Austin in 2000. Their marriage came to an end about five years later due to an unspecified reason. As part of the divorce proceedings, he was given full custody of their son as judge labeled Trigger an unfit mother. However, Charlie continued to live with his mother. In 2009, she was arrested on neglect felony charges as Charlie’s two-year-old stepbrother was found with cord and rope marks on his neck. This incident led to Jon assuming temporary custody of their son. In 2013, she filed documents demanding more than $88,000 in child support.
- Lisa Joyner (2007-Present) – Jon got married to his second wife, Lisa Joyner in a private ceremony in Mexico in June 2007. In September 2009, they announced that they had adopted a baby girl, who was born in August 2009 and was named Daisy.
Race / Ethnicity
Jon Cryer has English, Scottish, Swiss-German, Dutch, German and Swedish ancestry.
- Dimpled smile
- Nerdy appearance
Jon Cryer has served as a narrator for the Wells Fargo Mobile Banking aired on Pandora Radio.
He has also worked in the TV commercial for Wells Fargo bank.
As a part of Two and a Half Men cast member, he has been seen in a bunch of commercials.
Best Known For
Playing the role of Alan Harper in the comedy-drama series, Two and a Half Men from 2003 to 2015. He managed to win two Emmy awards for this role.
In 1984, Jon made his first film appearance in the role of Charles Cummings in the romantic comedy flick, No Small Affair.
First TV Show
In 1986, Jon guest appeared in the Miscalculation episode of the fantasy horror series, Amazing Stories.
Jon usually trains 5 days a week to keep himself fit. However, he doesn’t keep constant workout routine for all five days. For 2 days a week, he performs weight training exercises under the guidance of his trainer, Rich Guzman. For the remaining 3 days, he goes out for running, walking or for a swimming session. In addition, he goes for long distance runs three days a week.
When he is preparing for triathlons, he usually performs brick workouts, which involves cycling and running around. He usually heads to the golf course in the Griffith Park. He also changes his running workout as well and instead of going for flat running, he goes for hill running. Lastly, he works out in the morning.
Jon Cryer Favorite Things
- NFL Team – New York Giants
- Comics – Marvel
Source – US Magazine
Jon Cryer Facts
- He was told to give audition for the role of Chandler Bing on the famous TV series, Friends. He was assisted by British casting agent in videotaping for the role. However, the tape didn’t reach the directors on time.
- In his early struggling days, he used to work as an usher at the Equity Library Theater. While working at the theater, he was often confused for actor Matthew Broderick.
- Interestingly, his first acting job was to work as Matthew Broderick’s understudy in Brighton Beach Memoirs. His second Broadway job was to replace Matthew in Torch Song Trilogy. He followed it up by replacing Matthew in Broadway show, Biloxi Blues.
- After diving into the shallow end of the pool, he lost his front two teeth. He then got fake teeth as the replacement.
- In 2015, he published his autobiographical book, So That Happened, in which he narrated his 30 years long acting career in a comic tone.
- Before the 2016 US Presidential Election, he tore into Republican nominee Donald Trump in his podcast, comparing with his former Two and a Half Men co-star Charlie Sheen and accusing him of being addicted to feeling important.
- His middle name ‘Niven’ is inspired by his grandmother’s maiden name.
- He loves to collect Russian space memorabilia. He also likes to play Frisbee in his free time.
- In 1987, he had to get the surgery done after being diagnosed with a minor form of cancer known as dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. The surgery wound burst open after he indulged in bedroom activity with his former girlfriend.
- While he was working on Two and a Half Men, he was subjected to death threats via a telephone call.
- He was asked to audition for the role of Mr. Pink in Quentin Tarantino‘s Reservoir Dogs (1992). However, he couldn’t understand the script and instead of auditioning, spent the time caring for his niece. The role then went to Steve Buscemi.
- Cryer did an audition for the role of Daniel in the action movie, The Karate Kid (2010). However, he found dialogues clichéd and dumb.
- Follow Jon on Facebook and Twitter.