|Hale Appleman Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2½ in|
|Date of Birth||January 17, 1986|
Hale Appleman is an American actor who is best known for his important portrayal of Tobey in Teeth (2007) and as Eliot Waugh in the hit television series of The Magicians. Besides that, he has been cast in a number of other films and shows including Beautiful Ohio (2006), Pedro (2008), Private Romeo (2011), Smash (2012), The Walker (2015), and White Orchid (2015). On the other hand, Hale is also noted for his stage presence as Jesus in author Sarah Ruhl’s Passion Play and Clifford Odets’ Paradise Lost. With time, he has also amassed a huge fan base with more than 50k followers on Twitter and more than 150k followers on Instagram.
Hale Isaac Appleman
Greenwich Village, New York City, New York, United States
Hale graduated with a degree in Bachelor of Fine Arts from the prestigious Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts in New York City.
After that, he went on to attend the Carnegie Mellon University School of Drama in Pittsburgh. But, he dropped out from there after year in order to take on a role in a film.
- Father – Richard D. Appleman ()
- Mother – Ara T. Fitzgerald (Dancer)
- Siblings – Jake Appleman (Older Brother) (Author)
- Others – Gillian Zinser (Cousin Sister) (Actress), Irving Lawrence Appleman (Paternal Grandfather), Harron Appleman (Paternal Great Grandfather), Anna Weisman (Paternal Great Grandmother), Ela Appleman (Paternal Great Great Grandmother), Harriet B. Birkenholtz (Paternal Grandmother), Samuel Birkenholtz (Paternal Great Grandfather), Ray Hornig (Paternal Great Grandmother), Simon Birkenholtz (Paternal Great Great Grandfather), Fanny Levon (Paternal Great Great Grandmother), Hav Hornig (Paternal Great Great Grandfather), Rose Herbst (Paternal Great Great Grandfather), Warren A. Fitzgerald (Maternal Grandfather), Corinne (Maternal Great Grandmother), Ara (Maternal Great Great Grandmother), Elizabeth Streeter Tabor (Maternal Grandmother), Elwood Gordon Tabor (Maternal Great Grandfather), Mildred Streeter (Maternal Great Grandmother), Thomas Jefferson Tabor (Maternal Great Great Grandfather)and Elizabeth Hutchinson (Maternal Great Great Grandmother), Lewis R. Streeter (Maternal Great Great Grandfather), Helena A. Fidler (Maternal Great Great Grandmother)
Hale Appleman is represented by –
- Innovative Artists
- D2 Management LLC
6 ft 2½ in or 189 cm
89 kg or 196 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Hale has dated –
- Stephanie Simbari – Despite being openly bisexual, Hale was married to his long-time friend Stephanie Simbari who is also an actress in 2012. However, the last picture he uploaded of her was in June 2015 and it was captioned “Verified Love your wife love your life @stephsimbari”. On the other hand, neither of them have come forth and spoken about the kind of relationship they have with one another.
Race / Ethnicity
Hale is of Ashkenazi Jewish heritage on his father’s side and of Irish and English heritage on his mother’s side.
- Chiseled jawline
- Cleft chin
- Turned up nose
Best Known For
- Being cast as Tobey in Teeth (2007) and as Eliot Waugh in The Magicians
- Starring in various other shows and films like Beautiful Ohio (2006), Pedro (2008), Private Romeo (2011), Smash (2012), The Walker (2015), and White Orchid (2015)
- His stage performances as Jesus in Passion Play, Bob in Moonchildren, and as Mercutio in The Last Goodbye
- Sharing the Grand Jury Award for “Outstanding Actor in a Feature Film” with the cast of Private Romeo (2011)
- Working along with many notable actors like Brett Davern, Debra Messing, Katherine McPhee, Adam Barrie, Jess Weixler, Ashley Springer, Jason Ralph, Stella Maeve, Olivia Taylor Dudley, and Brittany Curran
First TV Show
There is not much known about Hale’s workout routine but he does seem like he goes to the gym where he focuses his attention on maintaining his lean physicality.
He also seems to keep a healthy eating habit.
Hale Appleman Facts
- He spent his early years partially between New York and Los Angeles.
- Growing up, he enjoyed reading book series of fantasy, adventure, and children’s novels. On the other hand, Hale also enjoyed going to theatre shows during that time.
- Appleman started to take an interest in acting when he just 10 years old. Following his passion, he joined a theater in New York City called the TADA! Youth Theater.
- Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman is his inspiration.
- He went to French Woods Festival of Performing Arts for 4 years and also worked with them in the year 2000 as a member of the “French Woods Cabaret Troupe.”
- In 2008, he was cast as Richie in Roundabout Theater Company‘s revival production of David Rabe’s Streamers, which was put together by directed by Scott Ellis.
- In mid-2010, he played the pivot role of Jesus during the New York Premiere of Sarah Ruhl’s Passion Play.
- His older brother Jake Appleman is the author of the book Brooklyn Bounce: The Highs and Lows of Nets Basketball’s Historic First Season in the Borough (2014).
- He starred in the controversial film Teeth in 2007 at the age of 20.
- In 2008, he played the role of cartoonist and television personality Judd Winnick in Pedro, which is a film based on Cuban-American AIDS educator Pedro Pablo Zamora.
- Actress Gillian Zinser is his father’s sister’s daughter.
- He had always wanted to portray a character with magical powers and that is exactly what he got as Eliot in The Magicians. He had also read all the novels of the eponymous book series written by Lev Grossman.
- Initially, he had auditioned for the character of “Penny” which is portrayed by actor and producer Arjun Gupta. However, he did not take quite the liking to the character and later, discovered his role as “Eliot” while reading through the first book of The Magicians.
- As of 2016, his mother Ara still lived on Bleeker Street where he was born and raised. She is also a modern dancer and performer. Whereas, his father is also a theatre nerd, hence, explaining his interest in acting.
- During 2017, he was obsessed with the shows Better Call Saul, Master of None (2015-2017), Mr. Robot, and Togetherness (2015-2016).
- He is most irritated with cynic people.
- Hale has a lot of respect for science fiction and fantasy creators like Jim Henson, Tolkien, and Lev Grossman.
- In 2017, he told Syfy Wire that, the best genre series he saw in the last 25 years was that of Game Of Thrones (2011-2019). He also stated that he admired the role of Maisie Williams who portrayed Arya Stark in the series.
- The 2017 thriller and mystery film Get Out was one of the most frightful movies he had ever watched.
- If he were given the choice to have a superpower, he would pick being able to flying.
- He identifies himself as openly gay.
- Appleman and actor Anthony Carrigan are very good friends. Anthony plays the role of a fearless hitman called Victor Zsasz on Gotham (2014-2019).
- Hale was forced to use a cane during the filming of season 3 on The Magicians as he had torn a muscle in quads as a result of actor Jason Ralph picking him up and swinging him around.
- All through the shoot of The Magicians, it can be seen that Appleman’s hair naturally grew longer and he was not questioned about it.
- Hale does not consume any kind of alcoholic beverages.
- Follow him on Instagram and Twitter.
Featured Image By Hale Appleman / Instagram