|Rita Wilson Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||October 26, 1956|
Rita Wilson is an American actress, singer, songwriter, and producer who is best known for her work in films such as Volunteers (1985), Sleepless in Seattle (1993), Jingle All the Way (1996), The Story of Us (1999), It’s Complicated (2009), and Larry Crowne (2011). Apart from her work in films and TV series, she has worked in several Broadway productions and has even produced a few films including My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002), Mamma Mia! (2008), and My Life in Ruins (2009). Besides this, she is an accomplished singer and songwriter and has published the albums AM/FM (2012), Rita Wilson (2016), Bigger Picture (2018), and Halfway to Home (2019). She had received a ‘Star’ on the ‘Hollywood Walk of Fame’ in March 2019.
Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
She holds dual nationality.
Rita had attended the Hollywood High School in California and had later joined the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA).
Actress, Singer, Songwriter, Producer
- Father – Allan Wilson (né Hassan Halilov Ibrahimoff) (d. March 2009)
- Mother – Dorothy Wilson (née Dorothea Tzigkou)
- Siblings – Lily Wilson (Older Sister) (Teacher), Chris Wilson (Younger Brother) (Film Score Composer)
- Others – Amos Mefford Hanks (Father-in-Law) (Itinerant Cook) (d. January 1992), Janet Marylyn Frager (Mother-in-Law) (Hospital Worker) (d. July 2016), Sandra Hanks (Sister-in-Law) (Writer), Larry Hanks (Brother-in-Law) (Entomology Professor at the University of Illinois), Jim Hanks (Brother-in-Law) (Actor, Filmmaker), Karen Praxel (Sister-in-Law) (Actress), Halil Ibrahimoff (Paternal Grandfather), Ferhat Ibrahimoff (Paternal Uncle)
- Sing It Loud Records
- Decca Records
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Rita has dated –
- D. David Morin (1973)
- Tom Hanks (1985-Present) – Rita had first met actor Tom Hanks on the sets of the TV series Bosom Buddies in 1981. However, they began dating only in September 1985 after they were reunited on the sets of the film Volunteers. They eventually got married on April 30, 1988, and have 2 sons together named Chester ‘Chet’ Marlon Hanks (b. August 4, 1990) (Actor) and Truman Theodore Hanks (b. December 26, 1995). She has 2 step-children – a step-son named Colin Hanks (Actor, Director, Producer) and a step-daughter named Elizabeth Ann Hanks (Actress) from Tom’s previous marriage to actress Samantha Lewes. Through Chester ‘Chet’ Marlon Hanks, she has a granddaughter named Michaiah Hanks (b. 2016).
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Pomak (Bulgarian Muslim) descent on her father’s side and Greek descent on her mother’s side.
She often tends to dye her hair blonde.
- Petite frame
- Gleaming face
- Charming smile
- Shoulder-length, wavy hair
Greek Orthodox Christianity
She had been featured in a print advertisement for Coca-Cola (1976) and a TV commercial for Pepsi Free (1984).
Rita Wilson Facts
- Rita’s father, Hassan Halilov Ibrahimoff, was born in Oraio (Breshtene), Greece, near Greece’s border with Bulgaria. His family had moved to Bulgaria when he was a child and they had emigrated to the United States in 1949.
- Hassan had converted from Islam to Orthodox Christianity after his marriage; and in 1960, 4 years after Rita’s birth, had changed his name to Allan Wilson; Wilson being the name of the street that he had lived on. He then changed Rita’s name from Margarita Ibrahimoff to Rita Wilson.
- In April 2015, she was diagnosed with breast cancer and had undergone a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery.
- She and her husband Tom Hanks, in recognition of their contribution towards the rehabilitation of the victims of the 2018 Attica wildfires, were offered honorary naturalization in Greece, in December 2019.
Featured Image by Rita Wilson / Instagram