|Tom Hanks Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||July 9, 1956|
Tom Hanks is a renowned American actor and filmmaker who is one of the most popular and recognizable film stars worldwide and his movies have grossed more than $4.9 billion in North America and more than $9.96 billion worldwide, making him the 4th-highest-grossing actor in North America. His performances in Philadelphia and Forrest Gump won him the Academy Awards for “Best Actor” in 1994 and 1995, respectively. Moreover, he received a Kennedy Center Honor in 2014, a Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama in 2016, and the Golden Globe Cecil B. DeMille Award in 2020. Tom Hanks is also known for his roles in A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Saving Private Ryan, Cast Away, From the Earth to the Moon, The Pacific, Sleepless in Seattle, The Green Mile, You’ve Got Mail, Greyhound, Inferno, Apollo 13, and Catch Me If You Can.
Thomas Jeffrey Hanks
Concord, California, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Tom educated at Skyline High School in Oakland. After finishing high school, he continued his schooling at Chabot College in Hayward, where he studied theater.
He then moved to California State University from where he later dropped out.
- Father – Amos Mefford Hanks (Itinerant Cook)
- Mother – Janet Marylyn Frager (Hospital Worker)
- Siblings – Sandra Hanks (Older Sister) (Writer), Larry Hanks (Older Brother) (Entomology Professor at the University of Illinois), Jim Hanks (Younger Brother) (Actor and Filmmaker)
- Others – Ernest Buel/Beauel Hanks (Paternal Grandfather), Gladys Hilda Ball (Paternal Grandmother), Clarence Peter Frager (Maternal Grandfather), Elexio Norrine Rose (Maternal Grandmother)
Tom Hanks has been signed with –
- Playtone, Production Company, Santa Monica, California, United States
- 42 West, Public Relations Firm, Los Angeles, California, United States
6 ft or 183 cm
82 kg or 181 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Tom Hanks has dated –
- Samantha Lewes (1975-1987) – In January 1975, Tom commenced dating the American actress Samantha Lewes. After 3 years of being in a relationship, Tom and Samantha got married on January 24, 1978. In August 1985, the couple got separated and two years later in March 1987, they officially divorced. Hanks and Lewes have two children – Colin Hanks (born on November 24, 1977) and Elizabeth Ann Hanks (born on May 17, 1982).
- Rita Wilson (1985-Present) – Tom first met the American actress Rita Wilson on the set of the TV series Bosom Buddies (1980 – 1982) in 1981. They started dating in September 1985. After three years of being in a relationship, the couple crowned their love and got married on April 30, 1988. Tom and Rita have two children – Chester ‘Chet’ Marlon Hanks (born on August 4, 1990) and Truman Theodore Hanks (born on December 26, 1995).
Race / Ethnicity
Tom Hanks is of English, Cornish, German, Scottish, and Welsh descent on his father’s side and has Portuguese ancestry on his mother’s side.
- Green eyes
- Often plays the character of an ordinary guy
11 (US) or 10.5 (UK) or 44.5 (EU)
Tom has appeared in a TV commercial for The National World War II Memorial (1999) and for The Nature Conservancy (2007).
As a teenager, Tom defined himself as a Bible-toting evangelical.
After marriage to Rita Wilson, he converted to a Greek Orthodox.
Best Known For
Tom is best known for appearing in the movies Big (1988), Volcano (1990), Radio Flyer (1992), A League of Their Own (1992), Forrest Gump (1994), Apollo 13 (1995), Saving Private Ryan (1998), Toy Story 2 (1999), Cast Away (2000), The Terminal (2004), The Da Vinci Code (2006), Cars (2006), Evan Almighty (2007), My Life in Ruins (2009), Small Fry (2011) and others.
He is also known for showing up in many TV series including Saturday Night Live (1985 – 2015), Tales of the Crypt (1992), Band of Brothers (2001), The Pacific (2010), and The Story of Terror! (2013).
Tom first showed up in the movie He Knows You’re Alone (1980), playing the role of Elliot.
First TV Show
The Love Boat is the name of the TV series in which Hanks made his television debut.
Tom played the character of Rick Martin and appeared in the episode Friends and Lovers/Sergeant Bull/Miss Mother.
Tom Hanks Favorite Things
- Food – Greek Gyros
- Artist – Elvis Presley, Patrick Rondat
- Band – Alabama Thunderpussy
- Color – Green
- Books – In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Source – Golden Globes, Shortlist, IMDb
Tom Hanks Facts
- He was offered a role in the Tom Cruise movie Jerry Maguire (1996).
- Hanks is a huge supporter of the baseball team Cleveland Indians.
- For his role in the movie Philadelphia (1993), Tom lost 30 lbs and for Cast Away (2000), he lost 50 lbs.
- He is a great fan of the F.C Aston Villa.
- Entertainment Weekly voted Tom as the 26th Greatest Movie Star.
- After 14 years of their divorce, his first wife Samantha Lewes passed away. She was diagnosed with cancer.
- Hanks is suffering from diabetes mellitus type 2.
- He is a supporter of same-sex marriage.
- Tom owns RAV4 EV and eBox.
- Tom is a Democrat.
- At a young age, he wanted to become an astronaut. He is a supporter of NASA’s program.
- He is a member of the NSS (National Space Society).
- He won the Douglas S. Morrow Public Outreach Award in 2006. The award was given by the Space Foundation.
- In 2019, he brought to life the character of Fred Rogers, the creator and host of Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, in the biographical drama film, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, in which he co-starred alongside Matthew Rhys, Susan Kelechi Watson, and Chris Cooper. This role earned him an Academy Award nomination in the “Best Supporting Actor” category in 2020.
- Tom Hanks was the most searched celebrity on Google in 2020 in the United States.
- Tom was the 6th most-searched person of 2020 on Google in the U.S.
- He debuted his new look by becoming bald on December 29, 2020, during his appearance on The Graham Norton Show.
- Tom and his wife, Rita Wilson were tested positive for coronavirus in March 2020. They later recovered from the virus.
- In September 2021, Tom was honored at The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures Opening Gala for his fundraising efforts for the museum.