|Phil Laak Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||September 8, 1972|
Phil Laak is an Irish-born American professional poker player, poker commentator, television personality, and actor who has held a World Poker Tour (WPT) title and a World Series of Poker (WSOP) bracelet.
Philip Courtney Laak
The Unabomber, Phil
Los Angeles, California, United States
Phil Laak got enrolled at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering.
Professional Poker Player, Poker Commentator, Television Personality, Actor
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, he has a net worth of $18 Million as of 2023.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Phil Laak has dated –
- Jennifer Tilly (2004-Present) – He met American-Canadian actor, voice artist, and poker player Jennifer Tilly at the charity WPT Invitational tournament at the Commerce Casino in Commerce, Los Angeles, California and they started going out in 2004. It was Phil who encouraged Tilly to play poker and that is how she eventually became a professional. She has been nicknamed ‘The Unabombshell’.
Race / Ethnicity
Usually wears a hooded sweatshirt and sunglasses at the poker table
Phil Laak Facts
- He grew up on the East Coast of the United States.
- He was 4 years old when his family shifted to Wellesley, Massachusetts.
- Phil played backgammon before turning his focus to poker.
- He started learning how to play when he was a child.
- In February 2004, he secured his first major tournament victory at the World Poker Tour (WPT) Celebrity Invitational. After this, he went on to make two other WPT final tables: placing sixth in both the season two Battle of Champions and the 2005 Five Diamond World Poker Classic.
- He finished second to Johnny Chan in the $2,500 pot limit hold ’em event at the 2005 World Series of Poker (WSOP).
- Phil Laak beat Ram Vaswani to win the inaugural William Hill Poker Grand Prix and won the £150,000 first prize.
- In 2005, he served as the dealer on the poker television series E! Hollywood Hold’em.
- From 2005 to 2015, he wrote a monthly column titled Being Phil Laak in the poker-themed Bluff Magazine.
- Phil Laak was part of seasons two through seven of the cash game poker television program High Stakes Poker from 2006 to 2011.
- As the winner of NBC’s hour-long poker television program Poker After Dark, Phil Laak earned the weekly prize of $120,000. Again in the episode titled Nicknames, he bagged $120,000 as he beat Annette Obrestad, Mike Matusow, Antonio Esfandiari, Erick Lindgren, and Phil Hellmuth.
- Along with fellow professional player Ali Eslami, he competed against Polaris (a poker-playing computer program developed at the University of Alberta) at the 2007 conference of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence and the duo beat it in two of the four rounds with the remaining rounds being a loss and a draw.
- He was cast as Poker Pro in the 2008 American made-for-television action film Knight Rider, starring Justin Bruening, Deanna Russo, Bruce Davison, Sydney Tamiia Poitier, Val Kilmer, David Hasselhoff, and Greg Ellis.
- Phil Laak participated in the 2009 Aussie Millions cash game Invitational.
- He was crowned PartyPoker.com World Open V champion in October 2009 and won $250,000.
- At the 2010 World Series of Poker Europe, he recorded his first career WSOP bracelet by winning the £2,500 buy-in Six-Handed No-Limit Hold’em championship.
- He resided in New York City for many years and then relocated to the West.
- Alongside his friend Antonio Esfandiari, Phil Laak has co-hosted a show called I Bet You.
- He has participated in many Poker Royale series.
- Before he started his stint in open poker games in California, he worked in various jobs.
- He was once a roommate of fellow professional poker player Antonio Esfandiari.
Featured Image by Photo by flipchip / LasVegasVegas.com / CC BY-SA 3.0