|Jonathan Rhys Meyers Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9¾ in|
|Date of Birth||July 27, 1977|
Jonathan Rhys Meyers is an Irish actor, model, producer, and musician who has been cast in a wide range of characters in several shows and movies such as Elvis Presley in Elvis, King Henry VIII in The Tudors, Ari Ben-Sion/Hans Hoffmann in Damascus Cover, Brian Slade in Velvet Goldmine, Heahmund in Vikings, Dracula/Alexander Grayson in Dracula, Valentine Morgenstern in The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, Joe in Bend It Like Beckham, George Hogg in The Children of Huang Shi, Declan Gormley in Mission: Impossible III, James Reese in From Paris with Love, and Joe Strummer in London Town. For his acting, he has been honored with several awards like Satellite Award, Golden Globes Award, and Irish Film and Television Award.
Jonathan Michael Francis O’Keeffe
Jonny, Johnny, JRM, Jon
He divides his time between –
- Los Angeles, California, United States
- London, England, United Kingdom
He studied at North Monastery Christian Brothers School in Ireland from where he was expelled at the age of 16.
On October 5, 2008, the actor was given an Honorary Patronage by the Trinity College Philosophical Society in Dublin.
Actor, Model, Film Producer, Musician
- Father – John O’Keeffe (Folk Musician)
- Mother – Mary Geraldine “Geri” O’Keeffe (née Myers) (Community Worker) (Died on November 20, 2007)
- Siblings – Ali O’Keeffe (Younger Brother) (Actor, Musician), Jamie O’Keeffe (Younger Brother) (Actor, Musician), Paul O’Keeffe (Brother)
- Others – Marie (Paternal Grandmother), Dylan O’Keeffe (Nephew), Sharon (Half-Sister), Maria (Half-Sister)
He has been signed with –
- 42 Management
- Brillstein Entertainment Partners
- Wolf Mountain Pictures, Inc., Production Company, Sacramento, California, United States
5 ft 9¾ in or 177 cm
72 kg or 159 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jonathan Rhys Meyers has dated –
- Marinika Smirnova – There were RUMORs about a short romantic stint between Jonathan and Russian actress Marinika.
- Toni Collette (1998-1999) – Jonathan Rhys Meyers and actress Toni Collette started dating in 1998. They were in a relationship for about one year and split in 1999.
- Cha Cha Seigne (2000-2003) – Jonathan and actress Cha Cha Seigne started dating in 2000 and got engaged. They ended their engagement and split in early 2003.
- Lisa Butcher (2003) – Jonathan and British model Lisa Butcher started dating in 2003 and their romantic relationship did not last for more than a couple of months as they split in the same year. Jonathan was madly in love with Lisa.
- Reena Hammer (2004-2012) – The actor started seeing English businesswoman Reena Hammer in 2004. Reema was the daughter of make-up artist Ruby Hammer. The two were together for a long time and supported each other through all thick and thin in life. They finally called it quits in 2012.
- Katie McGrath (2007) – He had a fling with actress Katie McGrath in 2007.
- Katie Larmour (2008-2009) – Jonathan and model Katie Larmour allegedly had a small stint.
- Victoria Keon-Cohen (2012) – Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Australian model Victoria Keon-Cohen started dating in February 2012 and broke off in December 2012.
- Mara Lane (2014–Present) – The actor started dating American actress Mara Lane in 2014. The two announced their engagement in 2015. In 2016, they got married. Later, in December 2016, the couple welcomed a son named Wolf Rhys Meyers. It was later revealed that the couple miscarried their 2nd child in September 2017. In the year 2019, he described how fatherhood has changed his life and said, “Once you have your first child, you become the past. We’re all busy giving out to ourselves and driving ourselves forward. A child gives you a new perspective on life”.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Irish descent.
- Fashion sense
- Blue eyes
10 (US) or 9 (UK) or 43 (EU)
He did modeling for Club Monaco’s Fall / Winter collection in 2001. He was seen in a commercial for Knorr Soup.
Jonathan modeled for Versace men’s Autumn/Winter collection 2006 and Spring collection 2007. He was the first celebrity to become the brand ambassador of Hugo Boss men’s fragrance from 2006 to 2011.
Best Known For
Jonathan’s tryst with fame began with Velvet Goldmine in 1998. He continued his success streak with movies including Mission: Impossible III (2006), Bend It Like Beckham (2002), and Match Point (2005).
He is also known for playing the role of Elvis Presley in the Elvis TV film in 2005 and King Henry VII in the television series The Tudors from 2007 to 2010.
The first acting break of Jonathan was at 15 when he got paid 500 pounds for this commercial assignment.
His first movie as an actor was A Man of No Importance (1994) in which he played the role of First Young Man.
First TV Show
His first TV appearance was in the BBC series Gormenghast in 2000 where he played the role of Steerpike in all 4 episodes. The show was based on the novel Gormenghast series.
Jonathan Rhys Meyers Favorite Things
- Actor – Joaquin Phoenix, Cillian Murphy
- Sports – Soccer
- Restaurant – La Rosa in Rome
- Bands – Broken Social Scene, Kings of Leon, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Source – IMDb.com, People.com, Femail.com.au
Jonathan Rhys Meyers Facts
- As a kid, Jonathan wanted to be a priest.
- He was born with a heart condition and was baptized rather quickly for fear he would not live long.
- He spent some of his childhood in an orphanage.
- He is a musician too and can play guitar. His first movie in which he played both as an actor and musician was Velvet Goldmine (1998). He provided vocals for three songs of the film’s complete soundtrack titled Baby’s on Fire, Tumbling Down, and Sebastian.
- In 2005, he was admitted into a rehab center where he was treated for abuse of an undetected substance.
- For his role in the 2005 Woody Allen movie Match Point, he was honored at the Cannes Film Festival with a Chopard Trophy.
- He was chosen as the celebrity ambassador for The Hope Foundation, a charity foundation based in Cork, in February 2008.
- He has gone to rehab more than three times.
- Actor Johnny Depp is his idol.
- He has lived in Italy for a few years.
- He bagged the ‘Best Actor’ Golden Globe Award for playing Elvis Presley in a miniseries for CBS and was also nominated for an Emmy Award.
- The actor was punished and fined €1,000 in November 2011 by a French court as a judgment for his public intoxication.
- His middle name “Rhys” is pronounced as “Reese”.
- For his 20 years of contribution to the TV and Film industry, he bagged The Irish Post Legend Award on October 23, 2014, at the London Hilton on Park Lane.
- The Cosmopolitan Magazine ranked him at No. 34 in the “100 Most Sexiest Men in the World” list.
- He contended among over 200 actors to bag the role of Elvis Presley in the 2005 TV film Elvis.
- He is good friends with actors Cillian Murphy, Stuart Townsend, and Annabelle Wallis.
- In November 2020, Jonathan was involved in a minor car accident and was arrested for a DUI (Driving Under the Influence). Subsequently, he was released on a bail after submitting $5,000 as a fine. Later, he had cut a plea deal in the case and had agreed to 1-year summary probation, a $500 fine, and to take a mandatory alcohol ed and counseling program.