|Joaquin Phoenix Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||October 28, 1974|
Joaquin Phoenix is an American actor, environmentalist, animal rights activist, and producer whose work has won him several prestigious honors including an Academy Award, a Grammy Award, and 2 Golden Globe Awards. He comes from a family of artists and is known for his on-screen roles like Arthur Fleck/Joker in Joker, Jesus in Mary Magdalene, Commodus in Gladiator, Johnny Cash in Walk the Line, Freddie Quell in The Master, Ray Elwood in Buffalo Soldiers, Theodore Twombly in Her, Leonard Kraditor in Two Lovers, Joe in You Were Never Really Here, Abbé de Coulmier in Quills, Larry “Doc” Sportello in Inherent Vice, Jack Daglish in Hotel Rwanda, and Max Graham in SpaceCamp. Also, he was ranked at number #12 on the list of the “25 Greatest Actors of the 21st Century” issued by The New York Times in 2020.
Joaquín Rafael Bottom
Kitten, Joaq, Leaf
Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico
Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles, California, United States
Joaquin has been home-schooled. Eventually, he opted out of homeschooling in 9th grade.
Actor, producer, music video director, musician, activist
- Father – John Lee Bottom (Landscaper)
- Mother – Arlyn Bottom (nee Dunetz) (Secretary for NBC)
- Siblings – River Phoenix (Older Brother) (Died in 1993 after he was found overdosed by drugs), Rain Bottom (Older Brother), Liberty Bottom (Younger Brother), Summer Bottom (Younger Sister), Jodean Bottom (Older Half-Sister)
- Others – Ehlia/Robert Merrill Bottom (Paternal Grandfather), Beulah Ernestine Ingram (Paternal Grandmother), Meyer Dunetz (Maternal Grandfather), Margaret “Margie” Lefkowitz (Maternal Grandmother)
Phoenix has been signed with –
- Patricola Lust Public Relations, Inc.
- William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
81½ kg or 180 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Joaquin Phoenix has dated –
- Jessica Joffe (1998) – In 1998, Joaquin was linked with German columnist Jessica Joffe.
- Shannyn Sossamon (2005-2006) – Phoenix reportedly dated actress Shannyn Sossamon from September 2005 until April 2006.
- Lena Denasha (2010) – Lena Denasha had a fling with Joaquin in 2010.
- Liv Tyler (1995-1998) – Actress Liv Tyler commenced dating Phoenix in October 1995. The couple stayed together for 3 years until November 1998 when they decided to split.
- Anna Friel (1999) – In 1999, Joaq was in a brief relationship with the English actress Anna Friel.
- Inger Ebeltoft (2000) – Norwegian model Inger Ebeltoft was RUMORed to be dating Joaquin in 2000.
- Amelia Warner (2000) – Again, Joaquin was RUMORed for romancing with English actress and musician Amelia Warner in October 2000.
- Topaz Page-Green (2001-2005) – In 2001, Joaquin began dating the model Topaz Page-Green. The couple broke up in 2005 after 4 years of being in a relationship.
- Anna Paquin (2001) – Joaquin had an encounter with New Zealand actress Anna Paquin in 2001.
- Ginnifer Goodwin (2005) – Phoenix was RUMORed to be dating actress Ginnifer Goodwin in 2005.
- Lindsay Lohan (2006) – In 2006, another RUMOR appeared which connected Joaquin with the well-known actress and singer Lindsay Lohan.
- Aria Crescendo (2010) – The French-Romanian singer Aria Crescendo was dating Joaq for a brief period of time in 2010.
- Heather Christie (2012) – In 2012, Phoenix was linked with the American model Heather Christie.
- Nika (2012-2013) – In 2012, he started going out with model Nika but the duo separated the following year.
- Allie Teilz (2013-2014) – Joaquin began dating female DJ Allie Teilz in October 2013. They parted ways in early 2014.
- Rooney Mara (2016-Present) – In 2016, Joaquin started dating actress Rooney Mara. Together, they have appeared in many films. By July 2019, they had got engaged. In August 2020, the couple welcomed their first child, son River Phoenix (named after Joaquin’s late brother).
Race / Ethnicity
Joaquin’s father John Lee has English, Scottish, Scots-Irish/Northern Irish, German, Irish, Welsh, and French Huguenot ancestry while his mother is of Ashkenazi Jewish descent.
- A scar below his nose
- Specific green eyes
- Deep voice
- Plays emotional characters
11 (US) or 10 (UK) or 44 (EU)
Joaquin has appeared in TV commercials for PETA (1998), PETA (2005) (Got banned after it was published), and in a print ad for Prada (1997).
Phoenix’s father was baptized Catholic but Joaquin proclaims himself as an atheist.
Best Known For
His achievements as an actor winning numerous awards including a Grammy Award and a Golden Globe Award.
Phoenix’s popularity rose to another level when he played the character of Commodus in the epic historical drama film Gladiator (2000), a role for which he was nominated at the 2001 Academy Awards in the “Best Supporting Actor” category.
As a Music Director
Joaquin, as a music director has directed videos such as Arckid, Albert Hammond Jr., People in Planes, Ringside, She Wants Revenge, etc.
In 1985, Phoenix performed as Frankie in Kids Don’t Tell. It was a TV movie.
His theatrical debut happened in 1986 when he appeared in the space adventure film SpaceCamp as Max Graham.
First TV Show
Joaquin appeared in the episode “Christmas Song” of the TV series Seven Brides for Seven Brothers in 1982 as Travis.
He is a vegan since early childhood (aged 3).
Joaquin Phoenix Favorite Things
- Actor – Josh Brolin
Source – Boomsbeat.com
Joaquin Phoenix Facts
- His parents changed their last name to Phoenix because of the bird that rises from its own ashes as a symbol for a new beginning.
- Joaquin called himself “Leaf” during his childhood. He switched back to the name “Joaquin” at the age of 15.
- He established himself as an actor during his youth but wanted to quit and travel to Mexico and South America with his father.
- Joaq’s and his siblings’ acting qualities were discovered by Iris Burton, a Hollywood children’s manager who put them in TV commercials and TV shows.
- He went on the premiere of Gladiator (2000) with his mother.
- “Wha-keen” is how his first name is pronounced.
- Joaquin is a vegan. He once refused to wear shoes made of leather. He also did not want to wear clothes made of animal skin for the movies Gladiator (2000), Quills (2000), Walk the Line (2005), etc.
- He shares the same birthdate with the Puerto Rican actress Dayanara Torres.
- Phoenix works as a mediator for PETA.
- The scar on his lip is a birthmark. He once stated that while his mother was pregnant, she felt a pain in her stomach which obviously led to his scar.
- He is fluent in Spanish. He knows the language since he was a kid.
- Joaquin’s mother’s parents emigrated from Russia and Hungary.
- In April 2005, Joaquin signed for treatment for alcoholism.
- He owns a Ducati motorcycle and ‘72 Le Mans.
- In 2006, Phoenix was invited to become a member of AMPAS.
- Phoenix has two cats.
- He is friends with American actors Vince Vaughn and Matt Damon.
- After the death of his brother River, he went into a deep depression.
- Joaquin supports charities and humanitarian organizations such as Amnesty International, HEART, The Art of Elysium, and Peace Alliance.
- He is a member of the board of directors for the non-profit organization The Lunchbox Fund which prepares and gives meals to the students of schools in Soweto in South Africa.
- Phoenix is a part of In Defense of Animals organization.
- In 2008, he stated that he would quit acting in 2008 and Two Lovers (2008) would be his last movie, further adding that, he wanted to become a rapper. However, besides his announcement, he is still filming.
- He brought to life the phenomenal character of Arthur Fleck/Joker in the 2019 psychological thriller film, Joker, for which he won the 2020 Academy Award for “Best Actor”.
- He was first considered to play Doctor Strange in the Marvel Studio films. However, after he turned it down, it was later played by Benedict Cumberbatch.
- Joaquin was the 7th most-searched actor of 2020 in the United States on Google.
- Joaquin once fainted while shooting a scene with his co-star Patti LuPone on the set of his 2023 film, Beau is Afraid.
- Joaquin is not on social media.