|Jorginho Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||December 20, 1991|
Jorginho is one of the best midfield players in the European soccer. His passing range and his ability to control the tempo of the game makes him a player around whom the team should be built. Maurizio Sarri has done it twice. First, he made Jorginho the centerpiece of the stunning Napoli side, which arguably played the most aesthetically pleasing soccer in the Italian league and came very close to end Juventus’s dominance in the league. Then, upon becoming manager of Chelsea, the first player he signed was Jorginho. He is so highly rated that he was linked by leading clubs such as Manchester City, Liverpool, and Manchester United before his move to Chelsea.
Jorge Luiz Frello Filho
Imbituba, Santa Catarina, Brazil
Jorginho started his soccer journey with the youth academy of the Italian club, Verona.
Professional Soccer Player
- Mother – Maria Tereza Freitas (Former Soccer Player, she also worked as a cleaner)
Jorginho is represented by Joao Santos of JSports Management.
19 – Hellas Verona
8 – SSC Napoli
5 – Chelsea FC
7, 14 – Italy National Team
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
71 kg or 156.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jorginho has dated
- Natalie – Jorginho is married to Natalie. Jorginho doesn’t like to speak much about his private life because of which the details of his relationship and marriage to Natalie aren’t known. During the course of their marriage, she has given birth to their son. As per his Instagram post in July 2018, they are expecting their second child.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Latino)
He has Italian and Brazilian ancestry.
- Slight Body
- Often keeps a beard
Jorginho has a personal endorsement deal with Nike. Because of the deal, he wears Nike footwear for his professional matches.
Best Known For
His successful stint with the Italian soccer club, Napoli. He made 160 appearances over four and a half seasons for the Italian powerhouse and went onto establish himself as one of the best midfielders in the Italian league. He also won Coppa Italia and Supercoppa Italiana with the club.
First Soccer Match
In September 2011, Jorginho made his debut for his youth club, Hellas Verona. He was sent in as a 76th-minute substitute in a match against Sassuolo.
In August 2018, he made his first appearance for the London based club, Chelsea in the FA Community Shield match against Manchester City at Wembley Stadium. He was booed by the City fans as he was previously courted by the club and was about to complete a move before Chelsea stepped in.
In March 2016, he made his debut for Italian national team in an international friendly against Spain. He was sent in as the last minute substitute by Italian manager, Antonio Conte.
- Ball Control
- Technical Ability
- Ability to control the tempo of the game
He doesn’t have any apparent weaknesses in his game.
Jorginho Favorite Things
- Influences – Andrea Pirlo and Xavi
Source – Sky Sports
- As his grandparents are from Veneto, he got an Italian passport, which helped him move to Verona at the age of 15. It was a difficult move for him as he was very close to his mother.
- His first and foremost coach was his mother, who herself had played soccer. She used to take him to the beach to train on the sand, which would improve his technical ability.
- When he moved to Verona, he didn’t have any professional contract. He eventually managed to earn one that gave him a weekly salary of 20 euros.
- At the start of 2010-2011 season, he was loaned by Hellas Verona to Serie C2 side, A.C. Sambonifacese. He made 31 appearances in the season and went on to record 10 assists and 1 goal.
- In January 2014, he moved to Napoli as the Naples based club agreed to a co-ownership deal with Verona. Jorginho signed a four and a half years contract with the club.
- At Napoli, he initially struggled to become a part of starting 11 under Spanish manager Rafael Benitez. However, the arrival of Italian manager Maurizio Sarri helped his cause.
- Sarri made him the vital clog of his possession-based playing style. Sarri also played a key role in his overall development as he improved his tactical discipline and game reading.
- In July 2018, he moved to Chelsea as the London based club paid the transfer fee of £50 million to buy him from Napoli. His signing was announced on the same day as the appointment of Sarri.
- Before he pledged his international career to Italy, he was courted by Brazil. He has also insisted in his interviews that his playing style is closer to European principles.
- Follow him on Instagram.
Featured Image by Jorginho / Instagram