|José Altuve Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||May 6, 1990|
José Altuve is a Venezuelan professional baseball second baseman who plays for the Houston Astros of Major League Baseball. Nevertheless, José is known to be the shortest active baseball player at just 1.68 m and a well-acclaimed player who has won numerous accolades including 3 batting championships, the AL Most Valuable Player Award, and the Hank Aaron Award. Besides that, until 2020, he was a 6 time MLB All-Star.
José Carlos Altuve
Altuve studied at St. Thomas High School.
Professional Baseball Player
- Father – Carlos Altuve
- Mother – Lastenia Linares
- Siblings – He has a younger brother.
Altuve is represented by Scott Boras.
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
José has dated –
- Giannina Elizabeth Cimetta Sandoval (2006-Present) – The couple has a daughter named Melanie A. Altuve (b. 2016).
Race / Ethnicity
- Shortest active baseball player
- Often sports a goatee beard
Through his social media, he has either endorsed or promoted various brands including New Balance.
José Altuve Facts
- He was brought up in Maracay, Venezuela.
- Altuve was 7 years old when he and MLB’s Salvador Pérez met one another. As of 2020, Salvador was a catcher for the Kansas City Royals. Growing up, they took part together in various American League Club games.
- José is very close to his younger brother.
- Initially, José was rejected by team scouts of the Houston Astros during one of their camps that he had attended when he was 16 years old as they had declared him too short. Also, they had suspected him of falsifying his age. However, Altuve’s father convinced him to return to the camp the next day with his birth certificate, and with the help of coach and manager Al Pedrique, he was signed onto the team on March 6, 2007.
- In the year 2008, he relocated to the United States only to return to Greeneville the following year.
- José was promoted to Astros’ Major League Baseball team on July 19, 2011.
- He once stated that his mentor is designated hitter catcher Víctor Martínez.
- José has bagged a number of prestigious awards throughout his career including 6 MLB All-Star titles, 6 Players Choice Awards, Rawlings Gold Glove Award at “Second Base”, Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year (2017), as well as the American League Most Valuable Player award.
- In 2019, Altuve was accused of having worn an electronic device amidst the sign-stealing scandal that involved the Houston Astros. However, he denied the allegations.
Featured Image By EricEnfermero / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 2.0