|Chris Morris Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||April 30, 1987|
Chris Morris is a South African professional cricketer who plays as a bowling allrounder for the senior men’s national team and regularly features in the South African and English domestic cricket competitions. He is renowned for his pacy bowling and fearless lower-order hitting and has plied his trade in the IPL (Indian Premier League) for several franchises since he first played in the league in 2013.
Christopher Henry Morris
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Chris attended and graduated from the Pretoria Boys High School.
- Father – William “Willie” Francis Morris (Former First-Class Cricketer)
- Mother – Vyrnalee Morris
2 – ODI, T20I, IPL
6 ft 5 in or 195.5 cm
95 kg or 209.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Chris has dated –
- Lisa Oosthuizen – Chris married his long-time girlfriend Lisa Oosthuizen in August 2015. They have a son together.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of British descent.
- Has a mole on his right cheek and one under his lips
- Dimpled smile
- Side-cropped hair
- Lanky frame
Chris has served as the ambassador for brands such as –
- New Balance
- XSV Laboratories
Chris Morris Favorite Things
- Sports – Cricket, Golf, Soccer
- Movies – Moneyball (2014), Draft Day (2014)
- Movie Genres – Biographical, Sports
- City – London
- Pet – Dogs
- Footballer – Paul Scholes
- TV Personality – David Attenborough
- Singer – Dave Grohl
- Animals – Llamas, Sloths
- Interests/Hobbies – Listening to Music, Game Hunting
- Football Team – Manchester United
- Food – Sushi, Lamb Chops, Potjiekos (Stew), Pizza
- Cooking Technique – Braai (South African variation of barbecue)
Chris Morris Facts
- He was a late bloomer by cricketing standards and made his first-class debut in South African cricket only at the age of 22.
- Chris first came to widespread notice with a stellar show in the 2012 season of the domestic league in South Africa. He had bagged 21 wickets in just 12 games and his strike-rate with the bat was around a scarcely believable 200.
- He also ended up as the top wicket-taker in the 2015 edition of the Ram Slam T20 domestic tournament in South Africa.
- Chris was one of the most expensive overseas players at the auctions for the 2013 season of IPL. The Chennai Super Kings franchise bought him for USD 625k which was about 31 times more than his auction base price of USD 20k. He stated in an interview that he had utilized his IPL fortune to pay off his parents’ mortgage and buy a new home hor him and his wife.
- 3 years later, he was bought by the Delhi Daredevils franchise for a sum of USD 1 million.
- In an otherwise dismal South African campaign at the 2019 World Cup, Chris was a bright spot as he captured 13 wickets in 8 games and finished as the team’s leading wicket-taker, ahead of other frontline bowlers such as Kagiso Rabada. Interestingly, Chris was not even picked in the original squad of 15 by the South African selectors. He only played the World Cup as a replacement player after pace bowler Anrich Nortje was injured.
- In late 2015 and early 2016, there were rumors that he was going to retire from the game. Chris, however, clarified in an interview that he was misquoted by a publication on the issue. In the same interview, he also talked about how his smile during matches has been misinterpreted as a lack of seriousness. He explained that smiling was just a mechanism for him to deal with the pressure of the game.
- Chris Morris became the most expensive player ever sold in the IPL players’ auctions in the Indian Premier League (IPL) history as he was sold for INR 16.25 crore to Rajasthan Royals in February 2021 during the players’ auction.
Featured Image by Chris Morris / Instagram