|Joy Behar Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||October 7, 1942|
Joy Behar is an American comedian, writer, and actress who is known for appearing as one of the co-hosts on ABC’s daytime talk show The View. She has also hosted a handful of her own shows such as The Joy Behar Show on HLN from 2009 to 2011, Joy Behar: Say Anything! on Current TV in 2012, and her late-night talk show Late Night Joy that aired on TLC in 2015.
Josephine Victoria Occhiuto
Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York, United States
She earned a BA in Sociology from Queens College in 1964 and an MA in English education from Stony Brook University in 1966.
In line with her interest in acting, Behar studied acting at HB Studio.
Comedian, Actress, Writer
- Father – Gino Occhiuto (Truck Driver)
- Mother – Rose (née Carbone) (Seamstress)
- Others – Philip Occhiuto (Paternal Grandfather), Josephine (Paternal Grandmother), Vincenzo/Vincent Carbone (Maternal Grandfather), Francesca Zagari (Maternal Grandmother)
She self-manages herself.
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Joy Behar has dated –
- Joe Behar (1965-1982) – Joy Behar was married to her college professor, Joe Behar. The former beaus had a daughter named Eve Behar Scotti (b. 1970). Through Eve, she had a grandson named Luca (b. February 2011). The couple got divorced in 1982.
- Steve Janowitz (2011-Present) – Joy Behar married her 2nd husband, teacher Steve Janowitz on August 11, 2011. Before they got officially engaged and eventually tied the knot, the two had already been dating since 1982. Several hints about their engagement first came into view after Behar announced on her show The View that she might eventually marry Janowitz, labeling him as her “spousal equivalent”.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Italian ancestry.
She often tends to dye her hair red.
She has appeared in Tums commercial in which she played the role of a waitress.
Joy Behar Facts
- From the late 1960s to the early 1970s, she taught at Lindenhurst Senior High School situated in Lindenhurst, New York.
- Joy suffered from an ectopic pregnancy in 1979.
- She first entered show business in the early 1980s as a receptionist and eventually became a producer on Good Morning America.
- She was a stand-up comedian who appeared on top-rated shows such as Good Morning America and The New Show in the past.
- In 1987, she became the host on Lifetime Television’s Way Off Broadway and Live from Queens. There, she had more work opportunities and continued to work at the comedy club circuit, became a regular on NBC’s Baby Room, and landed a couple of minor fil roles including Cookie, This Is My Life, and Manhattan Murder Mystery.
- She was a WBC radio talk show host in the past.
- She has made appearances on HBO’s comedy specials such as One Night Stand and Women of the Night 2.
- She’s a Democrat.
- In 1997, she became one of the original panel members of ABC’S The View, which was co-created by Barbara Walters.
- She met Barbara Walters for the first time at Milton Berle’s birthday party at the Waldorf Astoria when was doing stand-up.
- She has performed in theatrical plays including The Food Chain, The V*gina Monologues, and Love, Loss and What I Wore. Behar has also performed in an Off-Broadway one-woman show entitled Me, My Mouth and I in 2014.
- Behar has written multiple books including a collection of humorous essays and stories called Joy Shtick — Or What is the Existential Vacuum and Does It Come with Attachments? and a children’s book called Sheetzucacapoopoo: My Kind of Dog, which was published in 2006.
- In March 2009, Joy released another book called SheetzuCacaPoopoo 2: Max Goes to the Dogs.
- Behar was trending on Twitter in January 2021 when she told The View co-host, Meghan McCain, that she did not miss Meghan when she was on maternity leave.
- Joy plays New York Times crossword daily. Sometimes, she also takes the help of crossword blogger Rex Parker.
- She is an excellent cook and can make great lasagna. She has been giving lasagna every year to Whoopi Goldberg on her birthday annually.
- Joy loves French cinema.
- Generally, removing the bra is the first thing she does when she reaches home.
- She is the longest-running co-host on The View.
- In 1987, she appeared in her first feature film Hiding Out in which she played the role of a waitress named Gertrude.
- When former U.S. President Donald Trump appeared onscreen with Joy, she was one of the firsts to run her hand through his hair to check if those were real.
- She once officiated a gay wedding. She was ordained online for $5.
- Joy has beautiful feet and once Matthew McConaughey massaged her feet on TV on The View.
- She doesn’t like hard-boiled eggs because those feels like too gelatinous to her.
- Joy hates a snitch.
Featured Image by Nick Step / Flickr / CC BY 2.0