|Judi Dench Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||December 9, 1934|
Judi Dench is a legendary English film and stage actress who started her career in 1957 with several theatrical performances in Shakespearean plays, playing frontline roles such as Ophelia in Hamlet, Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, and Lady Macbeth in Macbeth. She later expanded into working in films and established herself as one of the most bankable actresses in the UK. During her illustrious career, she has won numerous awards such as Academy Award, Tony Award, Screen Actors Guild Award, Golden Globe Award, BAFTA TV Award, British Academy Film Award, and Olivier Award.
Judith Olivia Dench
Heworth, North Riding of Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Outwood, Surrey, England, United Kingdom
Judi attended The Mount School, an independent secondary school in the city of York. She then enrolled at the Central School of Speech and Drama in London.
Actress, Artist, Author
- Father – Reginald Arthur Dench (Doctor) (d. 1964)
- Mother – Eleanora Olive (née Jones)
- Siblings – Jeffery Dench (Older Brother) (Actor) (d. 2014)
- Others – Betty Martin (Sister-in-Law) (d. 2002), Ann Curtis (Sister-in-Law), Sarah Dench (Niece) (Teacher), Emma Dench (Niece) (Historian), Clare Dench (Niece), Rebekah Elmaloglou (Cousin) (Actress), Sebastian Elmaloglou (Cousin) (Actor), Dominic Elmaloglou (Cousin), Jacob Bowker (Great Aunt), George Dench (Paternal Grandfather), Bessie Dench (Paternal Grandmother), Thomas Smith (Paternal Great Grandfather), Susan Smith (Paternal Great Grandmother), Peter Elmaloglou (Cousin), Sam (Grandson)
She is represented by –
- Gene Parseghian, Manager, Untitled Entertainment, Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Victoria Belfrage, Agent, Julian Belfrage & Associates, London, England, United Kingdom
5 ft 1 in or 155 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Judi has dated –
- Michael Leonard Williams (1971–2001) – Judi got married to British actor Michael Leonard Williams on February 5, 1971. They have 1 child together, a daughter named Tara Cressida Frances “Finty” Williams (Actress) (b. September 24, 1972). The couple stayed married for decades and was together till Michael’s death in 2001 due to lung cancer.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Irish and English descent.
- Short-cropped neck-length hair
- Has ‘Carpe diem’ tattooed on her right wrist
- Wears a gold-shaped locket
- Has a prominent mole on her forehead
Judi has appeared in the TV commercials for brands such as –
- Film4 TV Channel (2006)
- Vodafone (Voiceover) (2007)
- Sony PlayStation’s ‘Goldeneye Reloaded’ computer game (Voiceover)
Judi Dench Favorite Things
- Football Club – Everton
- Beverage – Champagne
- Author – John Fowles
Judi Dench Facts
- In 1996, Judi became the first person in history to win 2 Laurence Olivier awards for different roles.
- Her Oscar-winning performance as Queen Elizabeth I in the 1998 film Shakespeare in Love (1998) was for a 6-minute portrayal spread across just 4 scenes. It was the 2nd shortest performance ever to win an Oscar for “Best Supporting Actress”.
- She was placed 2nd in the 2001 Orange Film Survey’s list of the “Greatest British Film Actresses”.
- Judi was honored with the BAFTA Fellowship in 2001, a lifetime achievement award presented by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts.
- In 2004, she was awarded “The Laurence Olivier Special Award” by The Society of London Theatre in recognition of her achievements in British theatre. She is also a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA).
- In February 2005, she was voted the “Best British Actress of All Time” in a Sky TV public poll.
- As of November 2019, she has received 7 Oscar nominations, which have come after crossing the age of 60. No other actor or actress has received more than 3 such Oscar nominations.
- She was awarded the OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) in 1970 and the DBE (Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire) in 1988.
- In a 2004 opinion poll of the Royal Shakespeare Company, Judi’s performance as Lady Macbeth in 1976 was voted as the 2nd greatest Shakespearean performance of all time.
- Judi is an animal lover and owns a racehorse named Smokey Oakey, a dog, 4 cats, and 2 guinea pigs.
- A section of the banks of the River Ouse in York was named ‘Dame Judi Dench Walk’ in her honor.
- In January 2021, she received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
- In February 2023, during an interview, Judi revealed that she could no longer read scripts due to her deteriorating eyesight.
Featured Image by BagoGames / Flickr / CC BY-2.0