|Julien Baker Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||September 29, 1995|
Julien Baker is an American singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist who rose to fame with the release of her debut studio album Sprained Ankle (2015). Other than that, she has released several well-known tracks such as Funeral Pyre, Faith Healer, and Heatwave.
Julien Rose Baker
Germantown, Tennessee, United States
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Julien studied at Arlington High School before going on to study at Middle Tennessee State University where she initially studied audio engineering but later switched to literature and secondary education.
However, she decided to take a break from her studies to release her debut album Sprained Ankle but returned to campus in the fall of 2019 and completed her degree.
Musician, Singer, Songwriter, Multi-Instrumentalist
Julien is represented by Paradigm Talent Agency.
Alternative Rock, Indie Folk, Emo, Slowcore, Indie Rock, Post Rock
Vocal, Guitar, Piano, Organ, Mandolin, Bass, Guitar, Banjo, Drums
She had previously signed to 6131 Records.
5 ft or 152.5 cm
48 kg or 106 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Julien was 17 when she came out to her parents.
- Thick eyebrows
- Almond-shaped eyes
Julien Baker Favorite Things
- Bands Growing Up – MewithoutYou, Underoath, The Chariot, Norma Jean, Whitechapel
Source – Apple Podcast
Julien Baker Facts
- She was brought up in Bartlett, Memphis, Tennessee in a devout Baptist family.
- Julien is friends with fellow musician Becca Mancari.
- The earliest form of music that Julien was exposed to was in church. She then went on to take a liking towards alternative music after listening to Green Day on television. From there, she went on to listen to various other bands of similar genres that include My Chemical Romance and Death Cab for Cutie.
- Both of her parents are physical therapists.
- Julien considers her father to be her inspiration as he had to undergo an amputation in his twenties due to an accident. Then, he went on to dedicate his life to making experimental prosthetic limbs.
- She was in elementary school when her parents separated.
- While studying at Middle Tennessee State University, she worked on the campus in the A/V department.
- During her teenage years, Julien struggled with drug abuse. However, she found support in the community around her home in Memphis. Her exposure to substance inspired her to take an interest in straight-edge punk subculture.
- In 2010, she co-founded the band Star Killers that was later renamed Forrister in 2015.
- On October 23, 2015, she released her debut studio album titled Sprained Ankle. It was compiled with a total of 9 tracks. The album was ranked at #13 on The A.V. Club’s “The 15 best albums of 2015” and Sputnikmusic’s “Top 100 Albums of the 2010s”. From there, she went on to release 2 other studio albums including Turn Out the Lights (October 27, 2017) and Little Oblivions (February 26, 2021).
- She joined the supergroup Boygenius in 2018, alongside the likes of Phoebe Bridgers and Lucy Dacus.
- The earliest post that Julien uploaded to her Instagram account was on July 21, 2015.
- Julien’s style of music is considered to be moody quality with a confessional lyrical style. Other than that, her music also hosts frank explorations of issues that include spirituality, addiction, mental illness, and human nature. Also, it is a mix of indie rock, indie folk, alternative, and emo genres.
Featured Image By Julien Baker / Instagram