|K.Flay Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||June 30, 1985|
K.Flay is an American singer-songwriter, rapper, and musician who has compiled a ton of awards and contributions as an independent artist in the music industry.
Kristine Meredith Flaherty
Wilmette, Illinois, United States
She attended nearby New Trier High School. In 2003, she enrolled at Stanford University where she took up a double major in Psychology and Sociology.
Singer, Songwriter, Rapper, Musician
She self-manages herself.
Hip hop, Alternative Hip Hop, Indie, Pop Rock
Vocals, Drums, Guitar, Bass Guitar, Synthesizer, Keyboard
- Bummer Picnic
- Interscope Records
- Night Street
- RCA Records
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
K.Flay has dated –
- Miya Folick (2018-Present) – K.Flay and fellow musician Miya Folick started dating in 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of American descent.
- Thin Eyebrows
- Plump Lips
- When she was only 7 years old, her parents divorced and her mother remarried soon after the separation, bringing her into an extended step-family.
- Back in her childhood days, she has described herself as a tomboy who preferred baggier clothing while disregarding anything “girly”.
- At the age of 13, her father who used to love all musical genres passed away. Following her father’s death, K.Flay dedicated many of her songs to him.
- K.Flay admitted that many of the people she met at Standford University had influenced her musical style.
- She started a career in music in 2003. At that time, she believed that the majority of the hip-hop hits played on the radio were “simplistic, misogynistic, and formulaic”.
- The first song she wrote was titled Blingity Blang Blang, which she described as a “low budget rap parody that contained far too many obscenities”. After writing and performing the song, she then realized how much she enjoyed writing and recording music. From there, she continued to experiment with music by writing songs, performing and recording them on her computer.
- In 2005, K.Flay released her first mixtape called Suburban Rap Queen, which she only produced using her laptop.
- She released her self-titled EP in 2010.
- In 2011, she self-released the mixtape I Stopped Caring in ’96, which she later dubbed as the turning point of her career.
- She signed with RCA Records in 2012 after which she released 2 EPs – Eyes Shut in 2012 with songs produced by Liam Howlett from the British band The Prodigy and What If It Is in 2013. She departed from the record label company in 2013, citing their differences in opinion as the reason. Upon her exit, she left more than 60 songs she had written while still with the company.
- The release of her album, Life as a Dog was announced in late April 2014. The album which soared to no. 14 on the Billboard Rap Albums chart and no. 2 on the Billboard Heatseekers Albums chart, was officially released independently on June 10, 2014. Following the release, she toured extensively which included joint tours with AWOLNATION, Third Eye Blind, and Dashboard Confessional. In 2014 and 2015, K.Flay also toured Germany, France, and many other European countries.
- On August 9, 2016, she announced that she signed to Night Street Records, a division of Interscope Records. Ten days later, her EP Crush Me was released.
- She has cited Lauryn Hill, M.I.A., Missy Elliott, Metric, Cat Power, Liz Phair, Garbage, Royal Blood, Tame Impala, Shlohmo, OutKast, and Jeremih as her musical influences.
- On July 12, 2019, her 3rd studio album Solutions was released.
Featured Image by K.Flay / Instagram