|Roger Taylor Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9½ in|
|Date of Birth||July 26, 1949|
Roger Taylor is an English multi-instrumentalist, singer, songwriter, and musician. Very early in his career, he was recognized for his unique voice. He is well known for being one of the founding members and drummer for the famous rock band, Queen. Since the inception of the band, Roger Taylor has contributed at least 1 or 2 tracks on every album released by the band. He is known for his amazing songwriting skills and is usually the lead singer in the songs he writes for the band. Roger Taylor is also known for his great skill with instruments. Apart from being a drummer, he is good with keyboards, guitars, and bass which he uses on his own songs.
While he is still active in the band, Queen, Roger Taylor formed his own band known as The Cross that existed from 1987-1993. In the band, he played an active role as the rhythm guitarist and lead singer. The band didn’t experience a commercial success as it was expected to. They were only able to get fans in Germany. His high pitched falsetto vocal range has given him recognition among those he works with. Some of the artists he has collaborated with include Roger Waters, Robert Plant, Eric Clapton, Bon Jovi, Al Stewart, Cyndi Almouzni, Phi Collins, Elton John, Jimmy Nail, Yoshiki, Adam Lambert, and Genesis. In the 1980s, he appeared on a UK show which was popular at the time. He was a panelist on the show which was hosted by Mike Read.
Roger Meddows Taylor
King’s Lynn, Norfolk, England, United Kingdom
Roger Taylor attended Rosebery Avenue School, then he moved to Truro, Cornwall and went to Truro Cathedral School. He later enrolled in London Hospital Medical College in London, England. Afterward, he attended London Polytechnic in the London Borough of Newham, London, England.
Musician, Singer-Songwriter, Record Producer
- Father – Michael Taylor
- Mother – Winifred Taylor (née Hickman)
- Siblings – Claire Taylor (Younger Sister)
- Others – Genevieve Potgieter (Sister-in-law) (Model, Graphic Designer)
- EMI Records
- Elektra Records
- Capitol Records
- Parlophone Records
- Hollywood Records
- Virgin EMI Records
5 ft 9½ in or 176.5 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Roger Taylor has dated –
- Eileen Wright (1965) – Roger and Eileen met after a performance he had in Falmouth. Eileen and two other girls came all the way from Flushing to dance to the performance. They spent up to 6 hours traveling by road, but it was worth it to them. They picked out Roger from all the men when they believed there was no competition from the other ladies in The Reaction. Roger was a nice blonde young man with a creepy aura surrounding his smile and glances. They started dating in 1965. Eileen Wright became a regular addition to The Reaction’s traveling crew and became very comfortable in no time. She and Roger were too young to drink in public, so their relationship was restricted to coffee pubs. After dating for a short while, they broke up.
- Jill Johnson (1966-1969) – Jill Johnson was one of Roger’s girlfriend who started dating him in 1966. She was a former student at Truro’s County Grammar School for Girls. She became part of the people who followed The Reaction around after spending about a year with Roger Taylor. They usually hung out at Truro’s coffee bars, which wasn’t so new to Roger. While they were dating, they formed a good relationship with Roger’s neighbor, Vaughan Hankins and his fiance, Gill Wilton. They would go out together in Vaughan’s father’s car and have nights out in several places such as Tregaye Country Club, the Pandora Inn at Restronguet on the road to Falmouth or Flo’s Bar in Devoran. The relationship lasted for only 3 years as they broke up in 1969.
- Josephine Morris (1968-1976) – Josephine Morris and Christine Mullen were students in London where Roger Taylor schooled. He met them in school and they became acquaintances. In 1968, Josephine Morris started dating Roger Taylor. Josephine got Chrissy introduced to Roger’s friend Brian when they went together to one of Smile’s gigs at Imperial College. Josephine and Roger broke up in 1976.
- Dominique Beyrand (1976-1988) – Dominique Beyrand and Roger Taylor met on September 1976 when Queen’s free concert was being planned at Hyde Park. At the time, Dominique was Richard Branson‘s personal assistant. They got in a long relationship that lasted for 12 years and had 2 children together – Felix Luther (b. May 22, 1980), and Rory Eleanor, (b. May 29, 1986.). When they decided to split due to Roger being involved in another relationship with a Cadbury‘s Flake television commercial actor, Debbie Leng, she could not stay with the children. Roger then married Dominique in 1988. He decided that it would be better if Felix and Rory stayed with their mother and also did this to ensure the financial security of Dominique. They got separated 3 weeks after marriage. Roger bought a house and moved in with Debbie.
- Debbie Harry (1977) – In the late 1970s, the news went round that Roger Taylor had a relationship with singer Debbie Harry. In this period, he was still in a serious relationship with Dominique Beyrand who bore 2 children for him. Pictures were shared of Roger and Debbie in Bel Air Hotel, Los Angeles, California, earlier in February 1977.
- Cheryl Rixon (1979) – Roger and actress Cheryl Rixon were rumored to be together in 1979.
- Deborah Leng (1987-2002) – Deborah Leng and Roger Taylor entered a relationship in October 1987. At the time, she was a model and an actress, having appeared on video clips such as Indians and Cowboys (1987) and Breakthru (1988) from The Cross and Queen, bands involving Roger Taylor. It was during the period of dating Dominique that he met Debbie Leng. People were confused about the way the three of them ran their lives, having gotten married to Dominique, divorcing her after 3 weeks, and then moving in with Debbie. Deborah Leng and Roger lived together for 15 years and had 3 children, Rufus Tiger (b. 1991), Tiger Lily (b. 1994), and Lola Daisy May (b. 2000).
- Fay Lawrence (1999) – When his relationship with Debbie Leng started to fall apart, Roger Taylor got into a relationship with Fay Lawrence. She was a lap dancer. She said that she never would have gotten involved if she had known Roger was in a relationship. Debbie moved out of the house and took her children along with her.
- Catrina Davies (2002) – While Roger Taylor was still dating Debby Leng in 2002, he dated Catrina Davies for a very short while. Catrina was a blonde model who was just 21. He later realized that he was doing the wrong thing and proceeded to win Debbie’s heart back. The effort was unsuccessful, so, he bought a big house next door to Debbie’s Sussex cottage. Both of them remained friends and neighbors ever since.
- Sarina Taylor (2004-Present) – After getting married once and giving birth to 5 children, Roger Taylor finally got married to the woman he had been dating for 6 years, Sarina Potgieter. They first met at the 46664 concert in benefit for Nelson Mandela. She was 36 years old at the time and they threw a black and red theme wedding ceremony at their home in Surrey on October 3, 2010, where all the waiters were dressed in black and everything around was black. Attendees said it was a low key but fun wedding.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of English descent.
- Falsetto vocal range
- Cropped short hair
- Keeps facial hair
Best Known For
- Contributing songs to Queen’s albums from the moment he joined. He wrote at least a song on every album they released and usually sings as the lead in whatever song he composes.
- Appearing in The Life of Rock with Brian Pern as himself
- Forming a band known as “The Cross”. He was the band’s lead singer and rhythm guitarist.
He released his debut solo album titled Fun in Space in 1981. He played a huge variety of instruments on the album.
First TV Show
Roger Taylor made his first TV show appearance as Himself in Lift Off with Ayshea in 1972.
Roger Taylor Favorite Things
- People – The Marx Brothers
- Movies – 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), A Clockwork Orange (1971), King Kong (1933), The Great Race (1965)
- Bands – Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, The Who
- Books – On the Road by Jack Kerouac (1951), Dune by Frank Herbert (1965)
- Food – Japanese
- Color – Silver
- Accessory – Sunglasses
Source – Wikipedia
Roger Taylor Facts
- He has appeared as a drag queen in 2 music videos: Freddie Mercury‘s The Great Pretender and Queen’s I Want to Break Free.
- He owns a very luxurious and classic collection of vehicles. One of his cars served as an inspiration to the Queen’s song I’m in Love With My Car.
- While he was in London, he was initially studying dentistry in college but changed to biology because dentistry became boring to him.
- In 2003, he put up his home for sale at 6 million euros.
- In 2001, Roger Taylor was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. At this time, he was already a member of the band, Queen.
- His child, Felix Taylor is an actor.
- His 1st band ever, known as The Bubblingover Boys was formed when he was only 7 years old. He played the ukulele on the band.
- The Reaction, a rock band which Roger joined at the age of 15, was mainly composed of boys from the Truro Cathedral School. They went on tours together. He met different people and even dated some of them.
- He was his own teacher when it came to learning how to tune drums. Keith Moon of The Who was his inspiration.
- In 1999, Roger Taylor was the 1st British person who wasn’t a member of the Royal Family to appear on the Royal Mail Stamp.
- Taylor co-produced Vigilante, the 6th album released by the rock band Magnum, in 1986.
- When Queen’s band members got separated to pursue their solo careers in 1986, Roger Taylor started a new band he could go on tour with. He put an advert in the newspaper calling to instrumentalists. In the band, he was the lead singer and guitarist.
- Roger Taylor has appeared 3 times on the American singing contest, American Idol.
- Roger Tayor was the executive producer of a film directed by Sasha Krane, Solitary (2013).
- Visit his official website @ www.rogertaylorofficial.com.
Featured Image by Roger Taylor / Instagram