|Kasi Lemmons Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||February 24, 1961|
Kasi Lemmons is an American film director, screenwriter, and actress who is best known for directing films such as Eve’s Bayou (1997), The Caveman’s Valentine (2001), Talk to Me (2007), Black Nativity (2013), and Harriet (2019). She is also well recognized for her acting in numerous films including The Equalizer (1988), Vampire’s Kiss (1988), The Silence of the Lambs (1991), Fear of a Black Hat (1993), Hard Target (1993), Drop Squad (1994), and ‘Til There Was You (1997).
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Kasi had attended the Commonwealth School, a private high school in Back Bay, Boston. After her high school graduation, she had joined the Tisch School of the Arts, the performing, cinematic, and media arts school of New York University, a private research university in New York City.
She had later taken a transfer to the University of California, Los Angeles, a public land-grant research university in Los Angeles. She had majored in history there.
Film Director, Screenwriter, Actress
- Father – Milton Francis Lemmons (Biology Teacher)
- Mother – Dorothy Othello Lemmons (née Stallworth) (Counselor, Psychologist)
- Siblings – Cheryl Lemmons (Older Sister) (Doctor) (d. 2011). She has one other sister.
- Others – Kevan Hall (Brother-in-Law) (Fashion Designer), Sherrie Hall (Sister-in-Law), Angeline Hall (Mother-in-Law) (Nurse), Curtis Hall (Father-in-Law) (Construction Company Owner)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
63 kg or 139 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Kasi has dated –
- Vondie Curtis-Hall (1995-Present) – Kasi got married to fellow actor and director Vondie Curtis-Hall in 1995. They have 2 children together – a son named Henry Hunter Hall (b. April 5, 1997) (Actor) and a daughter named Zora Hall (b. 1999).
Race / Ethnicity
She is of African-American descent.
She often tends to dye her hair blonde.
- Mildly stocky frame
- Dreadlocked, dyed hair
- Gleaming face
Kasi Lemmons Facts
- Her first name, Kasi, means ‘eight’ in Finnish. It is pronounced ‘Casey’.
- When she was 8 years old, her parents got divorced, and she had moved to Boston with her mother and sisters as her mother had wished to join Harvard to get a doctorate in education. Her mother got remarried when she was 9 years old.
- During her summer break from school, she used to attend the ‘Circle in the Square’ Program, an initiative through which youngsters who wish to become professional actors were being trained. It was a part of New York University’s School of Drama and this exposure had allowed her access to professional actors’ studios such as Lee Strasberg and Stella Adler. Despite this, she was clear that she had wanted to become a film director and acting was only a secondary pursuit.
- In 1998, Salem State College had conferred upon her an honorary doctorate degree. She has also served as an associate arts professor at her alma mater, Tisch School of the Arts.
- She had adapted the novel Fire Shut Up in My Bones into an opera libretto for the composer Terence Blanchard. The show was premiered by the Opera Theatre of Saint Louis in June 2019. It was set to open the 2021-2022 Metropolitan Opera season, that institution’s first opera by an African-American composer.
Featured Image by Kasi Lemmons / Instagram