|Kathryn Bigelow Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11¾ in|
|Date of Birth||November 27, 1951|
Kathryn Bigelow is an American film director, producer, screenwriter, and actress who is known for her films like Near Dark, Point Break, Strange Days, The Weight of Water, K-19: The Widowmaker, The Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty, Triple Frontier, and Detroit. Also, she became the first woman to win the Academy Award for “Best Director”, the Directors Guild of America Award for “Outstanding Directing”, the BAFTA Award for “Best Direction”, and the Critics’ Choice Movie Award for “Best Director” for her work in the 2008 war thriller film, The Hurt Locker.
Kathryn Ann Bigelow
San Carlos, California, United States
Kathryn Bigelow studied at Sunny Hills High School in Fullerton, California, and then attended the San Francisco Art Institute from where she received her Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in December 1972. Moreover, she was also accepted at the Whitney Museum of American Art‘s Independent Study Program in New York City.
Afterward, she got enrolled at Columbia University and studied theory and criticism as she received her master’s degree.
Film Director, Producer, Screenwriter, Actress
- Father – Ronald Elliot Bigelow (1915-1992) (Paint Factory Manager)
- Mother – Gertrude Kathryn (née Larson) (1917-1994) (Librarian)
- Siblings – She is an only child.
- Others – Cecil Elliot Bigelow (Paternal Grandfather), Maude Lulu Folkers (Paternal Grandmother), Samuel Larson (Maternal Grandfather), Bertha L. Dahl (Maternal Grandmother)
Kathryn Bigelow is represented by Creative Artists Agency, Talent and Literary Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States.
5 ft 11¾ in or 182 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Kathryn has dated –
- James Cameron (1988-1991) – She started dating James Cameron, a Canadian filmmaker, engineer, and environmentalist, in 1988. The duo got married on August 17, 1989, but soon parted ways in the year 1991.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Norwegian descent on her mother’s side and has English, German, Swedish, Irish, and Swiss-German roots on her father’s side.
- Towering height
- Frequently casts Tom Sizemore
- Often incorporates slow motion in action scenes
She has directed TV commercials for Baileys, Hummer, Budweiser, etc.
Kathryn Bigelow Favorite Things
- Films – The Wild Bunch (1969), Mean Streets (1973), Lawrence of Arabia (1962), The Terminator (1984), and the collective works of Alfred Hitchcock
Source – IMDb
Kathryn Bigelow Facts
- She directed the 1995 science fiction thriller film, Strange Days, for which she won the Saturn Award for “Best Director”, becoming the first woman to achieve the feat.
- Time magazine included her in its Time 100 list of “Most Influential People of the Year” in 2010.
- In 2016, Kathryn Bigelow received the Primetime Emmy Award for “Exceptional Merit in Documentary Filmmaking” for her work in the documentary Cartel Land.
Featured Image by David Shankbone / Flickr / CC BY 2.0