|Kazuchika Okada Quick Info
|6 ft 3 in
|Date of Birth
|November 8, 1987
Kazuchika Okada is a professional Japanese wrestler who made his debut in August 2004. Okada’s Rainmaker persona adds a villainous touch to his wrestling finesse and it is also one of his finishing moves. He has won numerous titles such as IWGP Heavyweight Championship, Feud of the Year (2017), and New Japan Cup (2013).
Anjō, Aichi, Japan
Kazuchika Okada went to a primary school in his hometown, Anjō, but soon moved to Gotō Islands and completed his primary education from a special boarding school there in Nagasaki Prefecture.
- Siblings – He has older brothers.
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
107 kg or 236 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kazuchika Okada has dated –
- Yoko Mori (2013-2017) – In 2013, he started going out with TV presenter, Yoko Mori. They made their relationship public the same year. In January 2017, the reports emerged claiming that they had got engaged. However, in the same year, it was revealed that they had decided to end their relationship. The reason for their separation remains unknown.
- Suzuko Mimori (2017-Present) – Okada started going out with singer and voice actress, Suzuko Mimori, towards the end of 2017. He made their relationship public via his social media account in January 2018. Soon after, she also confirmed that they were indeed dating.
Race / Ethnicity
He has given various other hair dyes such as ‘blonde’ and ‘brown’ a try.
- Tall Height
- Strong and Heavy Jaw
Kazuchika Okada has used his social media popularity to land lucrative endorsement deals and promoted the following products and brands –
- In-N-Out Burger
- Scuderia Ferrari
Best Known For
- Being one of the most successful and popular Japanese professional wrestlers
- His long and successful stint with the Japanese wrestling promotion, New Japan Pro-Wrestling, with whom he has managed to win several high profile titles
First Wrestling Match
In August 2004, he made his wrestling debut against the Mexican wrestler, Negro Navarro.
In August 2007, he made his debut for New Japan Pro-Wrestling against Tetsuya Naito. Okada went on to lose the match.
His first theatrical film appearance was in the family sports film Papa wa Warumono Champion in 2018.
First TV Show
In 2015, Kazuchika Okada made his first TV show appearance in an episode of the comedy series, Tamiô.
Kazuchika regularly works out in the gym to make sure that he has the necessary bulk to make an impact in wrestling. Apart from weightlifting in the gym, he also focuses on strengthening his core and neck muscles. His ring practice provides him with an excellent cardio.
Finishing Moves –
- Cobra Clutch
- Rainmaker (Wrist-lock transitioned into a short arm lariat)
Signature Moves –
- German suplex usually followed by a Rainmaker
- Backdrop suplex
- DDT, sometimes elevated
- DID – Deep In Debt (Arm trap inverted three-quarter facelock)
- Heavy Rain (Modified Death Valley bomb)
- Diving elbow drop
- Dropkick, sometimes from the top rope to an opponent sitting on the top rope or sliding
- Modified osotogari
- Reverse Neckbreaker (Over-the-shoulder back-to-belly neckbreaker)
- Red Ink (Kneeling cross-legged STF)
- Senton Atomico (Slingshot somersault senton)
- Tombstone piledriver, sometimes while jumping and/or spinning
Kazuchika Okada Favorite Things
- Top Wrestlers – Kenny, Tetsuya Naito, and Will Ospreay
Source – Wrestling Inc
Kazuchika Okada Facts
- While growing up, he loved playing baseball. In fact, he was in his middle school’s baseball team.
- He first got exposed to professional wrestling after one of his older brothers borrowed a New Japan Pro-Wrestling (NJPW) video game from his friend.
- While growing up, he excelled as a sprinter and was in middle school’s track team. He had even managed to win a regional 100-meter dash competition and was courted by high school recruiters.
- By the time he turned 14, he had realized that he wanted to become a professional wrestler.
- At the start of his wrestling career, he received his wrestling training at the Toryumon professional wrestling school under the guidance of Último Dragón. He was later trained by Yuji Nagata.
- In January 2010, NJPW announced that they were going to send Okada on a developmental tour to the US to train with Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA). He then wrestled for TNA for a couple of years.
- In February 2012, he won the highly coveted IWGP Heavyweight Championship for the first time in his career. His first reign as the heavyweight champion lasted for about 125 days.
- In January 2013, it was rumored that he was going to join WWE. However, he released a statement to refute all such rumors and instead revealed that he had signed the new deal with NJPW.
- Although he had just recently signed another one-year extension, NJPW owner Takaaki Kidani revealed in December 2015 that they were ready to scrap one year deal and make Okada the face of NJPW with a new five-year contract worth ¥200 million.
- In October 2017, he became the first wrestler in the NJPW history to reign as IWGP Heavyweight Champion for more than 489 days, which was the previous record set by Shinya Hashimoto.
- In January 2018, he made another NJPW record of his own with his combined reign as a champion stretching to 1,358 days.
- In 2018, he became the first NJPW wrestler to have mounted 12 successful title defenses in one reign. The previous record stood at 11 and was owned by Hiroshi Tanahashi.
- In May 2014, he was featured in the music video of Pharrell Williams‘ song Happy.
- In August 2014, he established Rainmaker Kikin (Rainmaker Fund) to raise money for the treatment of children’s cancer. He was motivated to start the fund after his uncle and cousin were diagnosed with cancer.
- Okada has publicly pledged that he will donate ¥30,000 (the equivalent of US$378) to the Rainmaker Fund for every wrestling match he wins.
Featured Image by Kazuchika Okada / Instagram