|Kim Young-ok Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||December 5, 1937|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Kim Young-ok is a South Korean actor and voice artist who debuted in the year 1957. Since then, she has been cast in a variety of films which include Farewell Sorrow!, Even the Clouds Are Drifting, Have Cake and Eat It, Too, Flame in the Valley, No Woman Is Afraid of the Night, Watercolor Painting in a Rainy Day, The Lovers of Woomook-baemi, White Valentine, Public Enemy Returns, Big Bang, Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle, Our School’s E.T., Casa Amor: Exclusive for Ladies, Snowy Road, and Fists of Legend. Kim Young-ok has also been a part of shows like The Golden Garden, Squid Game, My Mother’s Third Marriage, Young Lady and Gentleman, My Strange Hero, The King: Eternal Monarch, Her Private Life, Sweet Stranger and Me, Shopaholic Louis, The Rich Son, The Most Beautiful Goodbye, The Great Seducer, The Return of Hwang Geum-bok, Marriage, Not Dating, The Full Sun, My Lover, Madame Butterfly, The Slave Hunters, Jolly Widows, All My Love, Chil-woo the Mighty, Family’s Honor, Successful Story of a Bright Girl, Dal-ja’s Spring, and Live Up to Your Name, Dr. Heo.
Keijō, Gyeonggi, Japanese Korea
Actor, Voice Artist
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
50 kg or 110 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Kim Young-ok is of Korean descent.
Salt and Pepper
- Short hair
- Wears glasses
Kim Young-ok Facts
- For her role in the 1978 television series I Sell Happiness, she won the Grand Prize (Daesang) for Television at the 15th Baeksang Arts Awards in 1979.
- Kim Young-ok is known as “National Grandma” because she has often been cast as the grandmother of characters in shows and movies.
- She brought to life the character of Kyul Myung-ja, Sang-shik’s mother, in the family romantic drama television series Assorted Gems in 2009. This performance won her the MBC Drama Award for “Golden Acting Award, Actress in a Serial Drama”.
- In 2011, Kim Young-ok was cast as Mrs. Song, Ji-heon and Mu-won’s grandmother, in the workplace romantic comedy television series Protect the Boss. For this, she won the “Achievement Award” at the SBS Drama Awards in 2011.
- She played Choi Jong-boon in the 2015 historical drama film Snowy Road. It narrates the story of 2 teenage girls’ tragic fate during the Japanese occupation of Korea and was theatrically released on March 1, 2017. This role won Kim Young-ok the KBS Drama Award for “Excellence Award, Actress in a One-Act/Special/Short Drama” in 2015.
- She received the “Lifetime Achievement Award” at the 11th Korea Drama Awards in 2018. The same year, she was also honored with the “Bogwan Order of Cultural Merit (3rd Class)” at the 9th Korean Popular Culture and Arts Awards.
- As a voice actor, she has worked on projects such as Robot Taekwon V, Mazinger Z, Paul’s Miraculous Adventure, and Esteban, a Boy from the Sun.
- Kim Young-ok was cast as Noh Ok-nam, Head Court Lady of the Imperial Household, in the romantic fantasy television show The King: Eternal Monarch in 2020.
- In 2021, she appeared as Seong Gi-hun’s mother in the Netflix action-thriller survival drama series Squid Game. It stars Lee Jung-jae, Park Hae-soo, Wi Ha-joon, Jung Ho-yeon, O Yeong-su, Heo Sung-tae, Anupam Tripathi, and Kim Joo-ryoung.
Featured Image by Kinocine / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0