|Lalit Modi Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||November 29, 1963|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Lalit Modi is an Indian businessman and cricket administrator who is best remembered for being the founder, ex-commissioner, and ex-chairman of the widely-successful Indian Premier League (IPL).
Lalit Kumar Modi
New Delhi, India
Lalit received his education from the Bishop Cotton School in Shimla and St Joseph’s College in Nainital. He was expelled from the latter in 1980 for truancy.
He studied for 2 years at Pace University in New York. Later, he attended North Carolina’s Duke University for 1 year. However, he failed to graduate from either of these colleges.
Businessman, Cricket Administrator
- Father – Krishan Kumar Modi (Businessman)
- Mother – Binal Modi
- Siblings – Charu Modi (Older Sister) (Entrepreneur), Samir Modi (Younger Brother) (Businessman)
- Others – Rai Bahadur Gujarmal Modi (Grandfather) (Industrialist)
In 2022, as per AajTak, Lalit Modi’s net worth was estimated at $570 million (approx 4550 crores).
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Lalit has dated –
- Minal Aswani (1991-2018) – Lalit tied the knot with Minal Aswani, who was 9 years senior to him, on October 17, 1991. They welcomed 2 children together – a son named Ruchir Modi and a daughter named Aliya Modi. Lalit became the stepfather of Minal’s daughter Karima Sagrani from her previous marriage. They were married until Minal’s death from cancer on December 10, 2018.
- Sushmita Sen (2022-Present) – He began dating former Miss Universe and actress, Sushmita Sen in 2022. To confirm his dating, he also mentioned this line in his Instagram bio “finally starting a new life with my partner in crime. My love @sushmitasen47.” In September 2022, he removed this line from the bio and thereby sparking separation rumors.
Race / Ethnicity
However, his hair has turned salt-and-pepper with his advancing age.
He speaks with a lisp.
Lalit Modi Facts
- He had close ties with politician Vasundhara Raje, who served as the Chief Minister of Rajasthan from 2013 to 2018.
- Lalit is singlehandedly credited with introducing the novel concept of IPL to India. However, he was banned for life by the BCCI in 2013 after he was found guilty of indiscipline, misconduct, and financial irregularities.
- As of 2022, he is a fugitive living in exile in London. His London mansion is 5-storey 7,000 square feet with 8 double bedrooms, 7 bathrooms, 2 guest rooms, 4 reception rooms, 2 kitchens, and a dedicated lift.
- Modi was reportedly on the hit list of underworld don, Dawood Ibrahim in 2010.
- Modi revealed in July 2022 that he was born with a diamond spoon.
- He had joined BCCI on November 29, 2005, which also happens to be his birthday.
- As per Lalit himself, BCCI had INR 40 crore in their bank when he had joined in 2005. However, BCCI’s bank balance had grown to INR 47,680 crore in 2013 when he was banned.
- He is the President and Managing Director of Modi Group of Companies which includes the tobacco company Godfrey Philips India, the flagship company of the group.
- Modi owns a fleet of luxury cars including 3 Ferrari cars (including Ferrari California and Ferrari 812 GTS) and an Aston Martin Rapide car.
- In January 2023, Lalit Modi named his son Ruchir Modi as his successor as he was looking to retire from his position.
- In January 2023, Modi was twice tested positive for COVID-19 in 2 weeks. At that time, he was in Mexico. After that, he was diagnosed with influenza and deep pneumonia. Due to all this, he had to be put on 24*7 external oxygen support. Hence, he had to be brought to London via an air ambulance from Mexico in the presence of his son and 2 doctors.
Featured Image by Lalit Modi / Instagram