|Lance Franklin Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||January 30, 1987|
Lance Franklin is a professional Australian rules footballer who is best known for his career with Sydney Swans in the Australian Football League (AFL). He used to play for the Hawthorn Football Club from 2005 to 2013. During the course of his career, Lance has won several tournaments and has been the recipient of several honors such as “Hawthorn leading goalkicker”, “AFL Goal of the Year”, “Marn Grook Award”, and “Sydney leading goalkicker”.
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
At the age of 15, he got a sports scholarship to study at the prestigious Wesley College in Perth. After his graduation, he decided against joining any university to focus on his professional career.
Professional Australian rules footballer
- Father – Lance Franklin Sr. (Former Professional Field Hockey Player)
- Mother – Ursula Kickett
- Siblings – Bianca Giteau (Older Sister) (Professional Netball Player). He has three other older sisters as well.
- Others – Jeff Garlett (Cousin) (Professional Australian Rules Footballer), Dale Kickett (Cousin) (Professional Australian Rules Footballer)
Buddy Franklin is represented by Liam Pickering of Strategic Management Australia.
Full forward, Centre half-forward
6 ft 6 in or 198 cm
103 kg or 227 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Lance Franklin has dated –
- Kasia Zachweija (2008-2012) – Lance Franklin met Kasia Zachweija through mutual friends in 2008 and started dating soon after. The relationship moved ahead quickly as they moved in together in their Brighton home in 2009. They were a common sight in Melbourne social circuit and Kasia was a constant presence at his matches. They even adopted two pugalier dogs, Sampson and Delilah. However, they couldn’t cope with increasing fights and their relationship fell apart by the start of 2012.
- Lara Bingle (2013) – Lance Franklin was linked up with model Lara Bingle in 2013 after they were seen getting cozy at the Portsea Polo event.
- Jesinta Campbell (2013-Present) – Model and TV host Jesinta Campbell announced her relationship with Lance in one of the most dramatic ways possible by revealing they were a couple in a social media post and then deleting it moments later. A month after that disastrous social media announcement they acknowledged their relationship by attending racing carnival together in Melbourne. After dating for almost 14 months, Franklin popped the question with a 4.5-carat diamond ring. Then, they had to postpone their proposed January 2016 wedding due to Franklin’s mental illness. They finally got married on November 4, 2016, in a secret wedding ceremony. They have a daughter named Tullulah (b. February 2020) and a son named Rocky (b. March 2021).
Race / Ethnicity
On his father’s side, he is of Australian descent, while his mother is of Aboriginal origin.
- Imposing muscular body
- Myriads of body tattoos in honor of his indigenous heritage
- Trimmed beard
Buddy Franklin was signed up by the clothing brand, Politix in 2014 and was used to front that year’s spring collection with Harry Kewell.
He has also done endorsement work for NAB Auskick and was included in a cute ad which featured the younger versions of famous Australian footy players. Watch below.
Best Known For
- Being one of the most popular Australian rules footballers.
- Being vocal about mental issues and depression in a professional sport.
First Australian Rules Football Match
Lance Franklin made his professional debut for Hawthorn in a round one match against Sydney Swans held at SCG on April 3, 2005.
First TV Show
Lance was first seen in the sports talk show The Footy Show as a panelist (himself) in 2008.
Lance Franklin follows a balanced diet plan with focus on eating as much protein as possible. However, he is not averse to a good dosage of healthy carbs. In fact, as a part of his pre-game ritual, he loves to devour a bowl of pasta.
Lance Franklin Favorite Things
- Food – Apple Pie
- AFL Players – Gary Ablett (Gold Coast Suns), Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn), Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda), Jonathan Brown (Brisbane Lions), Dane Swan (Collingwood)
Source – Herald Sun, Fox Sports
Lance Franklin Facts
- Lance Franklin made his professional debut at the age of 18 and by 21, he had firmly established himself as an elite player by bagging his first Coleman medal.
- At the end of 2015 season, there were reports that he was going to retire from the game due to his mental illness. However, after spending some time away from the game, he returned in the 2016 season.
- In April 2014, when he crashed his girlfriend’s Jeep into four parked vehicles, he was accused of speeding or texting while driving. He refuted both allegations.
- In 2013, he signed up with the Sydney Swans on a $10 million contract for 9 years. As part of the deal, he earned $900,000 only, which was less than his yearly pay with his former team Hawthorns.
- Since coming clean of mental illness, he has tried to stigmatize the mental issues in the game and has encouraged other players to speak up.
- The images depicted in his tattoos include – aboriginal elder, a tree, a fire, a kangaroo and a man sitting cross-legged playing the didgeridoo.
- By the end of 2016, he was named All-Australian on six occasions – 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016.
- During his stay with Hawthorns, he won two AFL Premierships (2008 and 2013) and two McClelland Trophies (2012 and 2013).