|Lauren Mayberry Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||October 7, 1987|
Lauren Mayberry is a Scottish singer, songwriter, and journalist who is best known as the lead vocalist and percussionist of the Scottish synth-pop group Chvrches. She has also co-written and co-produced the band’s songs. She has released, with the band, the studio albums The Bones of What You Believe (2013), Every Open Eye (2015), and Love Is Dead (2018). All 3 of those albums had peaked within the ‘Top 10’ in Scotland and the UK and the first 2 of those were certified ‘Gold’ by the BPI (British Phonographic Industry). Before joining Chvrches, she had played drums for several bands, most notable among them were Boyfriend/Girlfriend and Blue Sky Archives. For the former, she had also played the keyboard and served as its vocalist; and had released the EPs Kill Music (2007) and Optimism (2008). With the latter group, she launched the EPs Blue Sky Archives (2010), Plural (2011), and Triple A-Side (2012).
Lauren Eve Mayberry
Thornhill, Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom
She splits her time between New York City, New York, United States, and Los Angeles, California, United States.
Lauren had attended the Beaconhurst School in her hometown of Stirling. She then joined the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow and completed a 4-year undergraduate law degree after which she also earned a master’s degree in journalism in 2010.
Singer, Songwriter, Journalist
Synth-Pop, Indie Pop, Pop, Indietronica
Vocals, Drums, Piano, Keyboard, Modulator
- Glassnote Records
- Hostess Entertainment
- Virgin Records
5 ft or 152.5 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Lauren has dated –
- Justin Long (2016–2018) – Rumor
Race / Ethnicity
She is of British descent.
- Petite frame
- Short stature
- Neck-length, straight hair
- Cryptic smile
- Gleaming face
Lauren Mayberry Facts
- She was interested in music from a very young age and was adept at playing the piano and drums by the time she was a teenager.
- Before beginning her career in the music industry, she had worked for a few years as a freelance journalist and production runner. She had also written for the UK-based music website The Line of Best Fit (2009-2010).
- When she co-founded the band Chvrches, it was intended to be named as ‘Churches’. However, the group eventually decided to replace the ‘u’ with a ‘v’ to distinguish themselves from actual churches on internet searches.
- She is a staunch advocate of feminism and had founded the feminist collective TYCI in Glasgow. She often writes blogs for the collective and features in their podcasts.
- Lauren has also been active in hosting and participating in live events to raise funds for organizations such as Glasgow Women’s Aid, R*pe Crisis Glasgow, Water Aid, The Yellow Bird Project, Wild Aid, Plus 1, and Amnesty International.
- She is also a vocal supporter of gun control in the United States and has spoken against the administration after several instances of mass shootings in schools and malls in that country.
Featured Image by Lauren Mayberry / Instagram