|Laurie Hernandez Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||June 9, 2000|
Laurie Hernandez is a two-time Olympic medalist in gymnastics. She is a second generation American, with her ancestry reaching out to Puerto Rico. Always on her toes, she won the Dancing with the Stars trophy for season 23 with Valentin Chmerkovskiy. She is also a New York Times Best Selling Author for her autobiographical book I Got This: To Gold and Beyond. Laurie has also showcased her charms in popular series like Stuck In The Middle, Sesame Street, and Celebrity Family Feud.
Lauren Zoe Hernandez
Laurie, Cutie, Human Emoji, Baby Shakira, Lolo, Monkey
New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
Laurie Hernandez attended Abeka Academy High School until she started getting homeschooled after her 2nd grade.
However, the Old Bridge High School in New Jersey conferred her with an honorary high school diploma on June 25, 2018.
Women’s Artistic Gymnastics
- Father – Anthony Hernandez
- Mother – Wanda Hernandez
- Siblings – Jelysa Hernandez (Older Sister), Marcus Hernandez (Older Brother)
- Others – Brunilda Hernandez (Grandmother)
Laurie Hernandez is managed by –
- Sheryl Shade, Shade Global, New York City, New York, U.S.
- Athlete Speakers, U.S.
- Maggie Haney (Head Coach & Choreographer)
- Victoria Levine (Assistant Coach)
Monmouth Gymnastics Academy, Morganville, New Jersey, U.S.
5 ft 1 in or 155 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Puerto Rican descent.
- Curly hair
- Long dipping chin
- Large beautiful eyes
She has endorsed various brands through her social media which include –
- Secret Deodorant
- Incredible Egg
She has also appeared in the commercials for-
- Crest Toothpaste
- Febreze Odor Odes
- Alcon DAILIES contact lens
- Stomp Out Bullying
- Team USA Winter Collection
In 2017, Laurie teamed up with Nike for the Equality campaign.
She has credited God for her positivity and success in an interview, quoting the Bible,
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13)
Best Known For
- Competing in the 2016 Summer Olympics, as a member of the U.S. women’s gymnastics team, and winning silver in the individual balance beam event along with a gold for the team event
- Participating in the series Dancing with the Stars season 23, which she won with Ukrainian professional dancer, Valentin Chmerkovskiy, in 2016, becoming the youngest celebrity at the age of 16 to have won the contest
- Making special appearances in many popular TV series like Stuck In The Middle, Sesame Street, Celebrity Family Feud, and Celebrity Page
First Gymnastic Match
In 2012, she played her first match at U.S. Classic in Chicago and finished at the 11th place in the junior division, qualifying for the National Championships in St. Louis, where she stood at the 21st position after competing for 2 days.
First TV Show
In 2016, she made her debut TV show appearance in the talk show The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon along with the 2016 U.S. Women’s Gymnastics Team.
While training for her gymnastics, Laurie Hernandez trains for 5 to 6 hours a day, 6 days a week, starting at about 8:30 in the morning at the gymnastics facility. She gets half a day twice a week. Otherwise, whenever she is traveling, she works out in the gym to stay in shape.
As for her diet, she likes to eat healthily. Her typical day’s diet plan is like –
- Breakfast – She prefers to start with oatmeal and some fruits for breakfast.
- Snack – She eats half a cereal bar to boost her energy when she is hungry.
- Lunch – She takes brown rice, vegetables, and some healthy meat like a grilled chicken during lunch.
- Dinner – Last meal consists of meat and vegetables.
Laurie Hernandez Favorite Things
- Gymnastic Routine – Floor Exercise
- Subject – History
- TV Show – Law and Order (1990–2010), Dancing with the Stars, The Voice
- Band – Pentatonix
- Movies – Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983), The Age of Adaline (2015)
- Go-To Snack – Frozen yogurt
- Places She Has Traveled To – Italy, Japan, Mexico
- Place To Eat – Freppe’s Tex Mex Restaurant
- Professional Sports Team – New York Giants, New York Yankees, Rangers, Knicks
- Memory Of Watching The Olympics – Watching the Fierce Five
Source – NBC Olympics, Teen Vogue, Team USA
Laurie Hernandez Facts
- She started taking gymnastics lessons at the age of 5 which became a serious affair by the time she turned 7.
- She credits her mother, who was a part of the Army Reserve for 6 years, for inculcating discipline in her lifestyle.
- If she wasn’t an athlete, she would have been an actress.
- She likes listening to EDM or rap while she is training. Her go-to songs are Can’t Sleep Love by Pentatonix, Don’t Look Down by Martin Garrix, Chemicals by Tiësto, and Be Right There by Diplo.
- Her greatest influence has been gymnast Simone Biles.
- She likes collecting keychains and tickets from the places she visits.
- Her celebrity crushes are Theo James, Liam Hemsworth, Dave Franco, Chris Evans, and Zac Efron.
- Her hobbies include helping her mom in the kitchen, sketching, volunteering at her church, reading, writing poem, dancing, doing nails, and editing photos.
- According to her, the cool and intense things about gymnastics, apart from showcasing grace, power, and agility, are the high-flying flips and tricks which might look dangerous but can be done with ease.
- She once had a knee surgery after a serious fall that dislocated her knee, torn the patella ligament, and bruised the MCL.
- According to Laurie, things to try out in her hometown are – eating at her favorite restaurant Freppe’s Tex Mex, shopping at Freehold Mall and Brunswick Square Mall, watching movies at AMC and Loews Theatre, and relaxing at Phillip’s Park or Pier Village in Long Branch beach.
- On January 24, 2017, Hernandez released a book with Harper Collins, titled I Got This: To Gold and Beyond, making her a New York Times’ Best Selling Author.
- In August 2018, her very own Shero Barbie was launched.
- Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Agência Brasil Fotografias / Flickr / CC BY 2.0