|Leena Manimekalai Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||June 7, 1980|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Leena Manimekalai is an Indian film director, screenwriter, and producer who is considered to be a controversial public figure as she has often made headlines, especially for hurting Hindu sentiments with her poster of Goddess Kaali smoking a cigarette and holding a pride flag.
Leena was born on c. June 7, 1980.
Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Leena attended Holy Cross Convent, Madurai. Later, she went on to pursue a Bachelor of Engineering in Instrumentation and Control Engineering at Madurai Kamarajar University, Tamil Nadu.
According to sources, she also studied at York University, Ontario, Canada where she pursued a Master of Fine Arts degree in Filmmaking.
Film Director, Screenwriter, Producer
- Father – Iraghupathi (Professor)
- Mother – Rama
- Siblings – Elango Raghupathi (Sister) (Filmmaker)
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
57 kg or 125.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Leena has dated –
- Yesvand Rajendran
Race / Ethnicity
- Thin lips
Leena Manimekalai Facts
- While in school, Leena practiced Bharatnatyam.
- Though Leena did not like to study, she ended up being a topper to escape her village customs which ensued that she marry her maternal uncle. However, eventually, she ran away to Chennai to escape her family’s demands only to return back home but did not go through with the customs.
- During her 3rd year of college, she met film director Bharathiraja who took her under his wing and she began working as an assistant to him.
- Leena developed an interest in film as a child as she would often attend film screenings with her father.
- She came out as bisexual with her second poetry collection, Ulagin Azhagiya Muthal Penn (The Most Beautiful First Woman in the World).
- Leena garnered media attention in 2018 after she had accused film director Susi Ganesan through the #MeToo Movement of having s*xually harassed her. However, Susi dismissed the allegation stating that they were absolutely baseless.
- She has directed several films which include Sengadal, White Van Stories, and Maadath.
- Leena has written 5 well-versed poems that include Ottrailaiyena (2003), Ulakin Azhakiya Muthal Penn (2009), Parathaiyarul Raani (2011), Antharakanni (2012), and Chichili (2016).
- In early-July 2022, Juju struck intense online controversy after a Twitter post by her depicting Goddess Kaali as a queer woman holding a flag to represent the LGBTQ and smoking on a poster for her film. Her actions sparked public outrage, hence attracting death and rape threats as well as abuse. She was also summoned by Delhi’s Tis Hazari Court for hurting Hindu sentiments.
- She is a smoker.
- Leena loves dogs.
Featured Image By Sreejithkoiloth / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0