|Jasprit Bumrah Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||December 6, 1993|
Jasprit Bumrah is a fast bowler who plays for the Indian cricket team in all formats of the game. He is widely known for his unorthodox bowling action and stump-to-stump yorker deliveries. His bowling speed varies between 140-145 kilometers per hour and hence makes him one of India’s fastest bowlers. He plays on domestic as well as international levels for teams like Mumbai Indians and the Gujarat team. Bumrah holds the record of being the first Asian bowler to have taken 5 wickets in a single year during test matches against teams like South Africa, England, and Australia.
Jasprit made his domestic debut in the 2013-14 season for Gujarat against Vidarbha, taking 7 wickets in that match. He got recognition after the 2012-13 Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy and later got selected for IPL at the age of 19. He played for Royal Challengers Bangalore and then for Mumbai Indians. Bumrah played a crucial role in his debut match during the T20I series against England where he gave 20 runs in his 4 over spell and took 2 crucial wickets. In the Champions Trophy 2017, he was known for taking a wicket on a no-ball. During the boxing day test of the India-Australia tour 2018, Bumrah on the 3rd day gave his best performance with figures of 6/33 to wrap up Australia’s first innings on 151. He played the 2019 World Cup and took his 100th wicket against Sri Lanka on July 6, 2019, and became the 2nd fastest to do so. In August 2019, he became the 3rd bowler for India who took a hat-trick in a test match against the India-West Indies series. He is believed to have an uncanny talent to pitch the delivery in the blockhole just like his idol Lasith Malinga and has become an asset for team India. He is active on social media with more than 4 million followers on Instagram and more than 2 followers on Twitter.
Jasprit Jasbirsingh Bumrah
Jassi, JB, Bumrah
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
Jasprit completed his education from Nirman High School, Ahmedabad. He did not attend college after completing his 12th standard.
- Father – Late Jasbir Singh
- Mother – Daljit Bumrah (School Teacher)
- Siblings – Juhika Bumrah
- Others – Varun Celly (Brother-in-Law)
Jasprit Bumrah is represented by IMG Reliance Talent Management.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Bumrah has dated –
- Raashi Khanna (2018) – Bumrah and actress Raashi Khanna were rumored to be dating in 2018. However, soon that rumored was cleared off when she said in an interview that she has never even met Bumrah.
- Sanjana Ganesan (2021-Present) – In March 2021, it was rumored that Jasprit was getting married to Indian model and TV presenter, Sanjana Ganesan. Finally, they tied the knot in March 2021, the news of which was made public on March 15, 2021. In September 2023, they were blessed with their first child, a baby boy named Angad Jasprit Bumrah.
Race / Ethnicity
- Unique bowling style
- French beard
Bumrah has been a part of various commercials like –
- Boat Nirvana
- Redmi K20 Pro
- Dream 11
- Asics India
- Seagram’s Royal Stag
Best Known For
His speed of bowling and unorthodox bowling style that gives him an edge over the others to bowl yorkers
First Test Match
He made his test debut in 2018 against South Africa at Newlands in Cape Town. He got a maiden test wicket in his debut match.
Jasprit made his home test debut in February 2021 against England at Chennai, India. Then-Indian wicketkeeper Rishabh Pant had dropped a catch on Jasprit’s first-ever Indian test match ball.
First ODI Match
Bumrah made his ODI debut against West Indies in August 2016.
First T20I Match
His T20 debut was against Australia in January 2016.
Bumrah takes care of his fitness and is considered as one of the fittest players in the Indian cricket team. His workout includes various functional exercises with weight training involving compound exercises like deadlift, military press, medicine ball ab crunches, squats coupled with running.
Jasprit Bumrah Favorite Things
- Food – Dhokla
- Actor – Amitabh Bachchan
- Movies – Sholay (1975)
- Actress – Katrina Kaif
- Cricketer – Sachin Tendulkar
- Bowler – Lasith Malinga, Mitchell Johnson
- Song – Badtameez Dil from Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani
- Ball – Yorker
Source – YouTube.com, Instagram
Jasprit Bumrah Facts
- His father died when he was just 7 years old.
- His mother wanted to send him abroad for higher studies.
- He decided to make a career in cricket at the age of 14.
- His mother did not allow him to play cricket outside so he practiced bowling against the wall.
- In 2018, he became the 1st Asian bowler to pick a 5-wicket haul in Australia, England, and South Africa in the same calendar year.
- He picked up 7 wickets in his debut domestic match in 2013-14 while playing for Gujarat.
- It was John Wright who first spotted Bumrah during the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy.
- He became the highest wicket-taker in his first international series in 2016.
- He used to mimic Bollywood actors when he was young.
- As of October 2019, he has picked up 5 wickets on a no-ball.
- He dismissed AB de Villiers twice in his first test match.
- His first wicket in IPL that he took was of Virat Kohli.
- His father had a chemical business.
- According to his friends and family, calmness is his real strength.
- He suffered from a knee injury in 2014.
- While Virat Kohli was the Team India captain, Jasprit was considered as Kohli’s wingman in the team.
- He was featured in the September 2019 issue of the ELLE magazine.
- In the past, Japrit’s coach was Kishore Trivedi.
- Lasith Malinga taught Bumrah how to bowl yorkers.
- In December 2021, he was praised by former Indian batter VVS Laxman by saying that according to him, Bumrah was the #1 bowler in all the formats of cricket at that time.
- On July 1, 2022, Jasprit captained Team India for the first time in the Test match against England after Rohit Sharma had tested positive for COVID-19. It was a rescheduled fifth Test match held in Edgbaston.
- Bumrah is the 36th Test captain for the Indian national team.
- Bumrah is the first fast bowler (and second bowler) to captain the Indian national team in Test cricket after Kapil Dev.
- Jasprit is the 6th bowler overall to captain the Indian national team in Test cricket history. Before him, only 5 bowlers have captained India – Ghulam Ahmed, Srinivas Venkataraghavan, Bishan Singh Bedi, Kapil Dev, and Anil Kumble (in this order).
- On July 2, 2022, Jasprit Bumrah scored 29 runs in a single over in Test cricket against England, bowled by Stuart Broad (he had though conceded 35 runs in that over with 5 wides and 1 no ball), which is a world record for most runs in a single over in Test cricket. Before this, Brian Lara had scored 28 in a single over in a Test inning.
- In 2022, he had to skip Asia Cup due to a back injury.
- In September 2022, during India’s T20I match against Australia in Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium, Hyderabad, Bumrah recorded his worst bowling figure in a T20I cricket match. He conceded 50 runs in 4 overs without taking any wicket. Before this, his worst figure was on August 27, 2016, when he gave 47 runs in 4 overs and picked 2 wickets against West Indies.
- In September 2022, Jasprit Bumrah was ruled out of India’s series against South Africa for all the T20I matches as well as T20I World Cup which was scheduled to happen in October 2022 due to a stress fracture in the back. Mohammed Siraj was called into the team as a replacement for Bumrah.
- In December 2022, Jasprit Bumrah’s lookalike kid was spotted in the crowd at Multan Cricket Stadium, Pakistan during Pakistan vs England 2nd Test match.
- In March 2023, Jasprit underwent back surgery in New Zealand.
- In August 2023, Jasprit resumed playing cricket matches for India. He played an international match after 327 days and that too as a captain against Ireland. Team India had won that match by 2 runs.
Featured Image by Jasprit Bumrah / Instagram