|Anil Kumble Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||October 17, 1970|
Anil Kumble is a former Indian well-distinguished former cricketer, coach, commentator who is noted to be one of the best bowlers in the world. He, as of 2021, was also the 4th highest wicket-taker of all time. Anil’s unbeatable right-arm leg break googly bowling style had brought on a tough competition for even the best batsmen. Besides that, he also has a huge fan base with more than 5 million followers on Twitter, more than 2 million followers on Facebook, and more than 1 million followers on Instagram.
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Anil studied at the Holy Saint English School. Then, he completed high schooling at the National High School, Basavanagudi. Anil graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Rashtreeya Vidyalaya College of Engineering (1991-1992).
Former Cricketer, Coach, Commentator
- Father – Krishna Swamy
- Mother – Saroja
- Siblings – Dinesh Kumble (Brother)
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
89 kg or 196 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Anil’s name has been linked with –
- Chethana Ramatheertha (1999-Present) – His wife Chethana was a travel agent when he met her for the first time. Also, she had been married at the time but faced marital problems. Later, in 1999, Anil and Chethana tied the knot with one another just as soon as she had legally parted ways with her previous husband. Anil has a step-daughter named, Aaruni Kumble and 2 children of their own, a son named, Mayas Kumble and a daughter named, Svasti Kumble.
Race / Ethnicity
- Broad jawline
- Tall physique
- Brushes his hair backward
He has appeared in various commercials for brands such as DigiClass.
Anil Kumble Favorite Things
- Food – Seafood
- Captain Of All-Time – Mohammad Azharuddin
Source – The Cricket Times, DTNext.in
Anil Kumble Facts
- He was raised in Bengaluru alongside his brother Dinesh Kumble.
- His passion for cricket began at a very young age. He would play in the streets of Bangalore and was also a member of a club known as “Young Cricketers” when he was 13 years old.
- On November 30, 1989, he made his first-class debut against Hyderabad.
- In February 1990, Kumble became the only other cricketer to have dismissed an entire opposition team batsmen during a test match against Pakistan.
- There is a chowk (an intersection in the M. G. Road) in Bengaluru named in his honor.
- In the year 2005, his incredible performance earned him India’s 4th highest civilian award, the “Padma Shri” which was presented to him by the Government of India.
- In March 2006, he became the first Indian cricketer in 5th overall during the “Second Test of England’s tour of India” to take 500 wickets.
- There are 2 reasons behind his nickname “Jumbo”, the first of which being his fast deliveries and the second being his large shoe size.
- Anil is an avid photographer.
- In 2004, he had a cameo appearance in the Hindi film Meerabai Not Out.
- Kumble is the only Indian bowler to have taken 5 wickets in 30 different test innings.
- As of March 2022, he remained the highest wicket-taker in India with 619 Test wickets. Rajkumar Sharma, former Delhi cricketer and childhood coach of Virat Kohli claimed that if Decision Review System (DRS) was there when Kumble was playing, he would have surpassed the level of 1,000 Test wickets easily.
- Kumble holds the record of delivering 40,850 balls in the entire Test career which is the highest figure among Indian cricketers and second-highest overall.
- In 2015, he was inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame. He is the 4th Indian cricketer to be given such honor after Bishan Bedi, Kapil Dev, and Sunil Gavaskar.
- In 1995, the Indian government awarded him with the Arjuna award.
- In October 2019, Anil was made the Head Coach and the Director of Cricket Operations for the IPL team, Kings XI Punjab (later known as Punjab Kings).
- In November 2010, Kumble was made the President of the Karnataka State Cricket Association.
- In October 2012, Kumble was made the Chairman of the ICC Cricket Committee. Later, in March 2019, his serving period as the Chairman was extended by another 3 years.
- To his name, there is another world record which is the largest number of caught-and-bowled dismissals in Test cricket. He had taken 35 such wickets which is 5.65% of his total Test wickets.
Featured Image By Public.Resource.Org / Flickr / CC BY 2.0