|Lisandro Martínez Quick Info
|5 ft 9 in
|Date of Birth
|January 18, 1998
Lisandro Martínez is an Argentinian professional football player who has played mainly as a center-back for Manchester United and the Argentina national team.
Gualeguay, Entre Ríos, Argentina
Professional Football Player
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
77 kg or 169.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Lisandro Martínez has dated –
- Muri López Benítez – He has been romantically involved with Muri López Benítez. They have lived together with their dog named Polo.
Race / Ethnicity
Aggressive playing style
Lisandro Martínez Facts
- As a youth, he played with Club Urquiza (Gualeguay, Entre Rios), Club Libertad (Gualeguay, Entre Rios), and Newell’s Old Boys.
- In the 2016–17 season, he made his debut with the Newell’s Old Boys in the club’s final fixture and played the full match in a loss to Godoy Cruz.
- Lisandro Martínez joined fellow Argentine Primera División side Defensa y Justicia on loan in August 2017.
- With Defensa y Justicia, he made his debut in a defeat against San Lorenzo on October 13, 2017. After two appearances, he scored his first senior goal in an away win against Temperley.
- At the 2017 South American Youth Football Championship in Ecuador, he won 4 caps for the Argentina under-20 team.
- In June 2018, Defensa y Justicia purchased 50% of the rights to Martínez. The following year on May 17, it was announced by Defensa y Justicia that a deal had been agreed upon with Dutch professional football club Ajax and Ajax paid the Argentine side €7m for the transfer of Martínez. After passing the medical, he signed a four-year contract, with the option of a further year.
- Reportedly Ajax tracked his progress for two-and-a-half years before signing the player.
- Lisandro Martínez received his first call-up to the Argentina national football team in March 2019 and won his opening cap as they lost in Madrid to Venezuela on March 22.
- In his second Eredivisie game which resulted in a win over FC Emmen, he was voted man of the match in 2019.
- On September 28, 2019, he scored his first goal for Ajax as he opened the scoring in a 2–0 victory over FC Groningen at the Johan Cruyff Arena.
- At the under-23 level, he made one appearance for Argentina in a 5–0 friendly victory against Bolivia in September 2019.
- In November 2019, Lisandro Martínez scored against Utrecht in a campaign that was ended prematurely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- He scored his 3rd goal for Ajax in a home win versus RKC Waalwijk in his first match of 2020–21.
- It was announced on July 16, 2022, that Manchester United had agreed on a deal with Ajax for the signing of Martínez for a reported transfer fee between £47 million to £49 million, plus £8.5 million in add-ons. On July 27, the transfer was officially completed as Martínez signed a 5-year contract with the club. It was confirmed the following day that he would wear the number six shirt last worn by French professional football player Paul Pogba.
- Lisandro Martínez debuted with Manchester United in a 2–1 home loss against Brighton & Hove Albion in the Premier League on August 7, 2022.
- He was included in the final 26-man squad for Argentina at the 2022 FIFA World Cup in November 2022.
- He scored his first goal for Manchester United in a 3–2 defeat against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on January 22, 2023.
- In the 2023 EFL Cup final, Lisandro Martínez won his first trophy with Manchester United‘s win over Newcastle on February 26, 2023.
- While playing in the first leg of the Europa League quarterfinal against Sevilla, he suffered a right foot injury on April 13, 2023. It was later revealed that he had fractured the fifth metatarsal bone in his right foot and would miss the remainder of the season.
- Lisandro Martínez has been compared to legendary former United defender Nemanja Vidić.
Featured Image by Newell’s Old Boys / YouTube / CC BY 3.0