|Liv Ullmann Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||December 16, 1938|
Liv Ullmann is a Norwegian actress and film director who is widely recognized as one of the greatest European actresses of all time. For her performance in the 1971 film The Emigrants, she had won a Golden Globe Award in the category of ‘Best Actress – Motion Picture Drama’. For her work in Scenes from a Marriage (1973) and Face to Face (1976), she had been nominated for the ‘Best Actress’ award at both the BAFTA Awards and the Golden Globe Awards. For the latter film, she had also been nominated for an Academy Award in the same category. For her 2000 feature-length directorial venture, Faithless, she had been nominated for the prestigious Palme d’Or award at the Cannes Film Festival.
Liv Johanne Ullmann
The Norwegian Angel
Tokyo, Kantō, Honshu, Japan
Trondheim, Trøndelag, Norway
Actress, Film Director
- Father – Erik Viggo Ullmann (Aircraft Engineer) (d. 1945)
- Mother – Janna Erbe Ullmann (née Lund) (Bookseller) (d. 1996)
- Siblings – Janna Erika Ullmann (Sister)
- Others – Niels Fredrik Dahl (Son-in-Law) (Novelist, Poet, Dramatist)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Liv has dated –
- Jerry Brown
- Gene Simmons
- Gappe Stang (1958-1965) – Liv had started dating a physician named Hans Jakob Stang aka Gappe Stang in 1958. They got married in 1960 and had parted ways in 1965.
- Ingmar Bergman (1965-1970) – Between 1965 and 1970, she was romantically involved with frequent collaborator and iconic Swedish film director, screenwriter, and producer Ingmar Bergman. They have a daughter together named Karin Beate Ullmann aka Linn Ullmann (b. August 9, 1966) (Author, Journalist, Literary Critic). Through Karin, she has a grandson named Halfdan Ullmann Tøndel (b. 1990) (Film Director).
- Andrey Konchalovskiy (1979)
- John Lithgow
- Donald Saunders (1983-1990) – Liv had started dating American real estate developer Donald Saunders in 1983. They got married in 1985 and had parted ways in 1995.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Norwegian descent.
- Mildly stocky frame
- Center-parted, neck-length, wavy hair
- Charming smile
- Gleaming face
Liv Ullmann Facts
- Born in Tokyo, as her father was working on an engineering project there at the time, to Norwegian parents, Liv and her family had moved to Toronto when she was 2 years old. This was because her father had been deputed at the Norwegian air force base on Toronto Island (in Lake Ontario) during the Second World War. They had later moved to New York where her father passed away due to a brain tumor. She, her mother, and her sister had returned to their native Norway after this.
- A polyglot, she is fluent in Swedish, English, and other European languages, apart from her mother tongue Norwegian.
- Her first name, Liv, translates to ‘Life’ in both Norwegian and Swedish.
- In 2005, King Harald V of Norway had honored her by making her a ‘Commander with Star’ of the Order of St. Olav.
- In 2006, the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) had conferred upon her an honorary degree in philosophy.
- Her portrayal of Elisabet Vogler in the 1966 film Persona was placed at number 49 by Premiere Magazine in its list of the ‘100 Greatest Performances of All Time’.
- Liv Tyler, the American actress, was named after her.
Featured Image by Liv Ullmann / Instagram