|Lorenzo Insigne Quick Info
|5 ft 4 in
|Date of Birth
|June 4, 1991
Lorenzo Insigne is an Italian professional soccer player known for being an important component of Napoli‘s team. He first flourished under Rafa Benitez and then, under Maurizio Sarri, he took his game to the next level. He was particularly in super form in the 2016-17 season as he scored 18 goals in 37 matches. His ability to cut in from the left side and curl the shot in the far post makes him a dangerous prospect to defend against. His explosive and entertaining style has even attracted comparison with Napoli‘s legend Diego Maradona.
Lorenzo Il Magnifico, Italian Messi
Frattamaggiore, Naples, Italy
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Carmine Insigne
- Mother – Patrizia Insigne
- Siblings – Roberto Insigne (Younger Brother) (Professional Soccer Player), Marco Insigne (Younger Brother) (Professional Soccer Player), Antonio Insigne (Younger Brother) (Professional Soccer Player)
Lorenzo Insigne is represented by Mino Raiola.
34, 24 – SSC Napoli
10, 20, 7 – Italy National Team
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Lorenzo Insigne has dated –
- Genoveffa Darone (2012-Present) – In December 2012, Insigne got married to Genoveffa Darone in a lavish wedding ceremony. They had been dating each other since their teens. In April 2013, she gave birth to their first son, Carmine. They welcomed their 2nd son, Christian, into their family in March 2015.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Sicilian ancestry.
Dark Brown (Natural)
He often tends to dye his hair with ‘blonde’ highlights.
Lorenzo Insigne has a personal endorsement deal with Adidas. Due to the terms of the deal, he is required to wear Adidas footwear for his professional matches.
Best Known For
His great performances for his hometown club, SSC Napoli. He has scored more than 50 goals in the Italian league for the club and has even managed to win Coppa Italia and Supercoppa Italiana with the club.
First Soccer Match
- In January 2010, Insigne made his professional debut with SSC Napoli in a Serie A match against Livorno. His side managed to win the match by 2-0.
- In September 2013, he made his UEFA Champions League debut in Napoli‘s match against Borussia Dortmund. He scored a beautiful free kick in his side’s 2-1 victory.
- In September 2012, he made his international start for Italian National Team in the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying match against Malta. He was sent in for Alessandro Diamanti by Italian manager Cesare Prandelli.
- Long Shots
- Ability to cut inside from the left flank
- Ball Control
- Technical Ability
- Attacking Movement
- Ability to open space for his teammates in the final third
- Lack of strength
- Short Stature
In 2013, he made his theatrical film debut in the Italian comedy movie, Colpi di Fortuna.
Lorenzo Insigne Facts
- In his teens, he nearly gave up soccer because he was often told by the scouts and youth coaches that although he had talent, he was too short to become a professional player.
- When he got a trial at Napoli, he was on the verge to quit soccer. He joined the youth setup of the club in 2006.
- In 2010, Napoli agreed to sell Insigne to Lega Pro Prima Divisione club Foggia in a co-ownership deal. At Foggia, he excelled under the tutelage of Czech coach Zdeněk Zeman and scored 19 goals in 33 matches.
- In July 2011, Napoli decided to send him on a year deal to Serie B club Pescara. It was Zeman who drove the deal as he decided to partner him with Ciro Immobile. He once again turned great performances under Zeman and scored 18 goals, and recorded 14 assists in the season.
- At the end of 2011-12 season, he was declared “Serie B Footballer of the Year”.
- In September 2012, he scored his first goal for Napoli in his side’s 3-1 home win against Parma.
- In May 2014, he played a key role in his side’s Coppa Italia final win. He scored 2 goals in the first half as his side overcame Fiorentina by 3-1.
- In November 2014, he suffered a serious knee ligament injury in a match against Fiorentina. He had to sit for 5 months because of the injury.
- In October 2017, he scored 100th goal of his professional career as he helped his side to a 1-0 away win against AS Roma.
- In August 2013, he scored his first international goal in his side’s friendly match against Argentina. It was his side’s only goal at Stadio Olimpico as Argentina won with Gonzalo Higuain and Ever Banega finding back of the net.
- Visit his official website @ www.lorenzoinsigneofficial.it.
- Follow him on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Lorenzo Insigne / Instagram