|Luis Guzmán Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||August 28, 1956|
Luis Guzmán is a Puerto Rican actor who is renowned as one of the most prolific character actors of his era. In a career spanning more than 4 decades, he has acted in numerous films including Carlito’s Way (1993), Boogie Nights (1997), The Limey (1999), Magnolia (1999), Traffic (2000), Punch-Drunk Love (2002), Maldeamores (2007), The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009), and Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012). He is also well recognized for portraying characters such as Raoul ‘El Cid’ Hernandez in the drama TV series Oz (1998–2001), Luis Cortez in the sitcom Luis (2003), Ramon Gaviota in the drama TV series John from Cincinnati (2007), Rene Calderon in the comedy-drama TV series How to Make It in America (2010–2011), Jesse Salander in the medical drama TV series Code Black (2015–2018), and José Gonzalo Rodríguez Gacha in the crime-drama TV series Narcos (2015).
Cayey, Puerto Rico
Cabot, Washington County, Vermont, United States
Luis had attended The City College of New York, the first (founded in 1847) free public institution of higher education in the United States.
- Mother – Rosa Cardona (Hospital Worker)
- Others – Benjamin Cardona (Stepfather) (TV Repairman)
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
89 kg or 196 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Luis has dated –
- Angelita Galarza (1985-Present) – Luis had married Angelita Galarza in 1985. In 1991, the couple had lost their first child, a son, at birth due to suffocation. Later that year, they had adopted a baby boy whom they had named Cemi Briggs-Guzman. They later adopted a girl – Yemaya Briggs-Guzman and a boy – Jace O’Flynn Guzman. They then adopted a pair of twins – a boy named Yoruba Briggs-Guzman and a girl named Margarita Briggs-Guzman. Luis and Angelita have a biological daughter together named Luna Briggs-Guzman. It has also been reported that they have raised another daughter named Clare Briggs-Guzman but it was unclear whether she was adopted or is their biological offspring.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Puerto Rican descent.
- Stocky frame
- Sports a rugged beard
- Affable smile
- Puffy face
- Curly, wavy hair
Luis has been featured in the TV commercials for –
- Cabot Creamery Cooperative (Naturally Aged Cheddar Hunks campaign) (2008)
- Boost Mobile’s USD 40 Per Month Plan (Spokesmodel Contest campaign with Ice-T and Gentry White) (August 2014)
- Snickers (2020)
Luis Guzmán Facts
- Before his career kicked off in the entertainment industry, Luis was a social worker and also used to organize events for his local community. He later became deeply involved in street theater and independent films.
- For his portrayal of the character of Lance in the comedy-drama film Punch-Drunk Love (2002), he had won an Imagen Award in the category of ‘Best Supporting Actor’. For his portrayal of the character of Ismael in the romantic drama film Maldeamores (2007), he had won an Imagen Award in the category of ‘Best Actor’.
- He has voiced the character of Ricardo Díaz in the action-adventure video games Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2002) and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (2006).
- He and Chuck Zito were the only 2 actors to have been featured in the 1993 film Carlito’s Way and its 2005 prequel Carlito’s Way: Rise to Power.
- His surname is pronounced ‘gooz-MAHN’.
Featured Image by Luis Guzmán / Instagram