Lydia, Lyds, Kiwi Ko
Seoul, South Korea
North Harbour, New Zealand
Lydia attended Pinehurst School in Albany, New Zealand. When Lydia used to be on a tour, she used to take correspondence classes from Pinehurst.
In 2015, she started taking psychology extramurally from Korea University in Seoul.
- Father – Ko Gil-hong
- Mother – Hyeon Bong-sook
- Siblings – Sura (Older Sister)
Neither of her parents is from the golf background.
Her older sister, Sura majored in architecture.
Lydia’s dad majored in P.E. and her mom majored in English.
But, Lydia’s dad has played tennis.
She is signed to IMG Golf.
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
51 kg or 112½ pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
She hasn’t dated as of late 2015. She says that she spends most of the time on the golf course, sponsor obligations, pairing parties, etc. There is very little time left for her to date anyone.
On the golf course too, she meets men, who are either 10 or 40. So, it’s rather difficult for her to date a man of her age. She further added –
I would love a boyfriend. I don’t know what my mum has got to say about that one.
She is currently single.
Race / Ethnicity
Wears glasses while playing (She ditched them after turning 18)
33-24-32 in or 84-61-81 cm
6 (US) or 38 (EU) or 10 (UK)
11 (US) (via eBay listing)
She is the ambassador for the New Zealand charity, ROMAC (Rotary Oceania Medical Aid for Children).
She has also appeared in a Fiore TV commercial.
Lydia signed an endorsement deal with Callaway Golf Company in January 2014.
Best Known For
Setting a lot many records and turning the world’s #1 player in professional golf
Her workout includes a lot of dance moves. She dances her way to fitness. Lydia also goes to the gym to keep her fit. Sometimes, she listens to Rihanna while working out or practicing for golf. She considers that listening to music while practicing blocks you from creative ideas. So, she suggests not to keep earphones into your ears at that time.
Her flexibility on the golf course while hitting the ball hard and far away may be lying in the fact of her dance moves. She shared many of her dance videos on her Instagram account with the golf performance expert Trevor “TA” Anderson.
She also does Golf practice for 35 hours a week.
Regarding diet, Lydia says she eats mixed veggies, fish, chicken, and brown rice (by mixing nuts) mostly.
Lydia Ko Favorite Things
- Course – Gulf Harbour CC, Cypress Point
- Apps – Minion Rush, Candy Crush
Source – LydiaKo.co.nz, GolfDigest.com
Lydia Ko Facts
- Lydia was among the “100 Most Influential People” list by Time magazine in 2014.
- On February 2, 2015, Lydia achieved her personal best rank, #1 in the world. She was 17 years 9 months 8 days at that time.
- When she turned #1 in professional golf in February 2015, she became the youngest player of either sex to be ranked No. 1.
- Born in South Korea, Ko shifted to New Zealand with her family when she was 6.
- When she was 12, she got the New Zealand citizenship.
- Lydia started playing golf at the age of 5.
- Until December 22, 2013, Lydia took professional coaching from Guy Wilson, who is the owner of a shop at Pupuke Golf Club in Auckland, New Zealand.
- At 7, she first caught media attention as she participated in New Zealand national amateur championships in March 2005.
- She does not believe in superstitions. She was wearing a thin back striped red shirt when she won U.S. Women’s Amateur in 2012. She again wore the same shirt during the Canadian Open 2012 and won it. But, she decided to give that shirt to her aunt who bought her 7-iron and putter.
- In January 2012, during the Australian Ladies Professional Golf (ALPG) tour, she became the youngest ever player (Her record was broken later in June 2012 by Canadian golfer, Brooke Henderson) to win the Bing Lee / Samsung Women’s NSW Open golf competition. She was 14 at that time. In 2011, she finished second in the same event.
- She is not a fan of ice cream, candies, or even sweets unlike most other girls. Though, she eats one cone of chocolate ice cream a month, but wouldn’t mind, if she couldn’t eat it for some reason.
- Lydia has never fallen ill or been into the hospital in her life just because of her proper diet.
- The day before her professional debut at CME titleholders, she was going for a practice session. But, suddenly, Lydia found out that she lost her new iPhone, which had all her favorite songs from One Direction, Lady Gaga, and other singers. It also had important phone numbers of her friends and family. But, later, someone handed over the phone to her. It was like she got her life back.
- She was included in the list “Impact 25” by ESPNW (or espnW or ESPN Women).
- In 2015, she was included in the list of “The 30 Most Influential Teens” by Time magazine.
- She looks to American golfer Michelle Wie for inspiration. It is called unni (Unni is a girl who is older than you and special to you) in Korea.
- When she was 5, her aunt bought her a 7-iron and putter. She used to play with them in a fun way, just like what kids do. But, she gradually started taking interest in it and turned out to becoming better in the golf game day by day and now is a pro golfer.
- Her dad and older sister are allergic to dog hair. But, she wants to have a dog.
- She is fluent in both Korean and English.
- In golf, she likes to meet new people and play against people of different age groups in the same game.
- In her free time, she enjoys reading and going for movies.
- She credits her parents as the most influencing individuals.