|M.I.A. Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5½ in|
|Date of Birth||July 18, 1975|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
M.I.A. is a British rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer, visual artist, director, and activist whose credits include having released many well-received albums and tracks such as O… Saya, Double Bubble Trouble, Kala, Swagga Like Us, and Bad Girls. She has also been nominated for awards like the Academy Award, Grammy, and Mercury Prize. Moreover, M.I.A. has garnered a huge social media fan base with more than 1.5 million followers on Facebook, more than a million followers on Instagram, and more than 800k followers on Twitter.
Hounslow, London, England, United Kingdom
M.I.A. studied at the Holy Family Convent, Jaffna as well as at Ricards Lodge High School in Wimbledon. She also attended Central Saint Martins before graduating from London’s Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design with a degree in Fine Art, Film, and Video in 2000.
Rapper, Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer, Visual Artist, Activist, Director
- Father – Arul Pragasam (Tamil Activist, Former Revolutionary, Engineer, Writer)
- Mother – Kala (Kathirithamby) (Seamstress)
- Siblings – Kali Arulpragasam (Sister) (Jewelry Designer, Artist), Sugu Arulpragasam (Younger Brother)
M.I.A. is represented by –
- XL Recordings, Record Label, London, England, United Kingdom
- Eccentric Music, Record Label, Oslo, Norway
Hip Hop, Electronic, EDM, World, Avant-Pop
Vocals, Drum Machine, Percussion
NEET Recordings, XL Recordings, Mercury Records, Interscope Records, Virgin EMI Records, Showbiz, Polydor, Roc Nation
5 ft 5½ in or 166.5 cm
62 kg or 136.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
M.I.A. has dated –
- Diplo (2003-2008) – She started dating American DJ, songwriter, and record producer, Diplo, in 2003 after they met at the Fabric Club in London. The duo had a rough relationship and broke up after 5 years in 2008.
- Benjamin Bronfman (2008-2012) – In 2008, she met American entrepreneur and musician, Benjamin Bronfman, in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York and they soon started a romantic relationship. Eventually, they got engaged and also became parents to a son named Ikhyd Edgar Arular Bronfman (b. February 13, 2009). However, they parted ways in February 2012.
Race / Ethnicity
M.I.A. is of Tamil Sri Lankan descent.
- Powerful persona
- Pierced ears
M.I.A. Favorite Things
- Video Experience – The video of her song titled Sunshowers
- Video Adaptation Of One Of Her Songs – Sunshowers
Source – Wikipedia
- Her stage name ‘M.I.A.’ stands for “Missing In Action”, a military term.
- She had a difficult relationship with her father who had little to no contribution to M.I.A.’s growing up as she was raised solely by her mother.
- Her debut studio album, Arular, was released on March 22, 2005, and it was placed at number #3 in the US Top Dance/Electronic Albums (Billboard) chart, at number #8 in UK Independent Albums (OCC) chart, and at number #16 in US Independent Albums (Billboard) chart.
- On February 8, 2009, M.I.A. performed at the Grammys and 3 days later, she gave birth to her first child.
- She has credited Public Enemy, Big Daddy Kane, N.W.A, and Roxanne Shante as a few of her early influences.
- She has dyslexia.
- M.I.A. was honored as the Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the 2019 Birthday Honours for her contributions to music.
Featured Image by Interscope Records / Interscope Records / CC BY-SA 4.0