|Madhubala Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||February 14, 1933|
|Date of Death||February 23, 1969|
Madhubala was an Indian film actress who was extremely popular during the 50s and 60s. Considered to be one of the greatest female superstars of the Hindi film industry, Madhubala started her career at a young age of 9 and went on to do more than 70 films in a career that spanned over 22 years. She has been a part of blockbuster films like Mughal-e-Azam, Mr. & Mrs. ’55, Tarana, and many others. She left a strong legacy behind her and her film Mughal-e-Azam was re-released in a digitally-colorized version in the year 2004.
Mumtaz Jehan Begum Dehlavi
Madhubala, Venus Queen, Baby Mumtaz, Madhu, Marilyn Monroe of Bollywood, The Beauty with Tragedy, Anarkali of Hindi Cinema
She was born on February 14, 1933
She died on February 23, 1969, at the age of 36, due to a Ventricular septal defect in Bombay, Maharashtra.
Delhi, British India (present-day India)
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Father – Ataullah Khan
- Mother – Aayesha Begum
- Siblings – Madhur Bhushan (Younger Sister), Chanchal (Younger Sister) (Actress), Kainz Balsara (Younger Sister), Altaf Kowal (Younger Sister), Shahida Kazi (Younger Sister)
- Others – Brij Bhushan Sahni (Brother-In-Law), Kunjalal Ganguly (Father-In-Law), Gouri Devi (Mother-In-Law), Kumudlal Ganguly(Brother-In-Law), Sati Devi (Sister-In-Law), Kalyan Kumar Ganguly (Brother-In-Law)
5 ft 5 in or 166 cm
61 kg or 134.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
She had dated –
- Latif (1941)
- Kamal Amrohi (1949)
- Dilip Kumar (1951-1956)
- Kishore Kumar (1960-1969) – Madhubala and Kishore Kumar tied the knot in 1960 and stayed together for a while but due to Madhubala’s ailment, Kishore left her and only met her once in 2 months.
Race / Ethnicity
Her father belonged to the tribe of Pashtuns
She had endorsed brands like –
- Godrej Vatni
Madhubala Favorite Things
- Actress – Meena Kumari
- Food – Kulfi, Pani Puri, Ragda Pattis
- Singers – Noor Jehan, Lata Mangeshkar, Mohammad Rafi
Source – Cineplot
- She started her career when she was just 9 years old.
- Madhubala was a leading lady in 66 films.
- The name Madhubala was given to her by a veteran actress named Devika Rani.
- She was considered to be a trendsetter and a fashion diva.
- Her father was very strict and never allowed her to be a part of any parties or social film gatherings and hence she only met her co-stars and friends on the film sets.
- She lost 3 sisters and 2 brothers when they were at a very young age.
- Her small house in Bombay got destroyed in the 1944 Bombay explosion.
Featured Image By Kamal Amrohi / Wikimedia / CC0 1.0