|Mahatma Gandhi Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4½ in|
|Date of Birth||October 2, 1869|
|Died||January 30, 1948|
Mahatma Gandhi was a well-distinguished lawyer, politician, activist, and writer who was prominently known for starting the “Indian Independence Movement” and the “Nonviolence Resistance” against the British Raj. Under his guidance and leadership, India won its independence on August 15, 1947. In today’s Indian history, Gandhi is known under the prestigious title as the “Father of the Nation.”
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Mahatma, Gandhiji, Bapu
Mahatma Gandhi was born on October 2, 1869.
He died on January 30, 1948, at the age of 78 in New Delhi, India due to gunshot wounds.
Porbandar, Kathiawar Agency, British-ruled India
Gandhi completed his primary schooling from Porbandar. Later, he attended Alfred High School in Rajkot at the age of 11 and years later, he lost 1 year of his education as a result of marriage. However, he finished his schooling in 1887 in Ahmedabad.
Later, he went to London to study law at University College, London. Prior to that, he had enrolled at the Samaldas College in 1888 but dropped out.
Politician, Lawyer, Writer, Activist
- Father – Karamchand Uttamchand Gandhi (Diwan)
- Mother – Putlibai Gandhi
- Siblings – Laxmidas (Older Brother) (c. 1860–1914), Raliatbehn (Older Sister) (1862–1960), Karsandas (Older Brother) (c. 1866–1913)
- Others – He had 2 step-sisters and 3 step-mothers.
5 ft 4½ or 164 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Mahatma Gandhi’s name was linked with –
- Kasturbai Makhanji Kapadia (1883-1944) – Gandhi was only 13 years old when he got married to Kasturbai Makhanji Kapadia in May 1883. They had 4 children named, Harilal Gandhi (b. August 23, 1888), Manilal Gandhi (b. October 28, 1892), Ramdas Mohandas Gandhi (January 2, 1897), and Devdas Mohandas Gandhi (May 22, 1900). They had lost their first child a few days after birth.
Race / Ethnicity
He was of Gujarati heritage.
He maintained a clean shaved head.
- Wore a pair of round spectacles
- Anorexic physique
Mahatma Gandhi Favorite Things
- Way To Pass His Time – Twisting the ears of dogs
Source – Wikipedia
Mahatma Gandhi Facts
- His father served as the Chief Minister of Porbandar.
- He was the child of his father’s 4th marriage to Putlibai and was the youngest of 4 siblings.
- Gandhi was born in the basement of his family’s house.
- Growing up, he would constantly be on the move or playing.
- He was not very strong in academics nor in sports. It is said that Gandhi learned to write while forming words with his finger in the dust.
- During his childhood, he was very touched by the characters of Shravana and king Harishchandra and wanted to be like them.
- Gandhi was 9 years old when he moved to Rajkot along with his parents.
- He was said to be good in English but weak in geography and possessed bad handwriting.
- Gandhi was a vegetarian, however, a friend of his who was a Muslim named Sheikh Mehtab encouraged him to eat meat but this did not have any influence on him.
- In the past, he was excommunicated from his caste for not heading the advice of his elders and moving to London.
- He had banned the popular poem “Vande Mataram” on the behest of Jinnah.
- Mahatma Gandhi had no relation to the family of Feroze and Indira Gandhi.
- On January 30, 1948, Gandhi was shot in the chest at close range by a Hindu extremist named, Nathuram Godse. After this, Godse was beaten by a crowd, and eventually, he was arrested. His trial began in May 1948 in Red Fort, Delhi. After hearing 149 witnesses, the court sentenced him to death in February 1949. In November 1949, he was finally hanged.
- After his death, Alfred High School was renamed Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi High School. However, after operating for 164 years it was shut down in May 2017.
Featured Image By Wikimedia / Public Domain